Good news for nontrads applicants re:LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nina512

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know about all of you, but I've been stressing about getting LORs from my ugrad profs considering it was 5 years since I graduated.

Albany Medical college said they'd accept substitute letters for ugrad for those who've graduated before 2001!

I'm sure other schools will give similar considerations *fingers crossed*

Nina

Members don't see this ad.

nina512 said:
I don't know about all of you, but I've been stressing about getting LORs from my ugrad profs considering it was 5 years since I graduated.

Albany Medical college said they'd accept substitute letters for ugrad for those who've graduated before 2001!

I'm sure other schools will give similar considerations *fingers crossed*

Nina

Yeah, when I was applying I generally found that schools would allow LOR leeway if you'd been out of school for >4 years. That being said, some schools were adamant about a UG LOR regardless of how long it'd been. The best thing to do is call each school you're interested in and ask them what they will and won't accept. Additionally, when submitting alternate LOR's, make sure they speak to the knowledge, skills, and abilities med schools are interested in, not just your character.

I faced the same dilemma for optometry schools. Most said that substitute letters were acceptable, although NEWENCO was adamant that I have academic letters. I still have a couple pre-reqs to finish, so I will probably ask those professors, although the letters will come later than the rest of my application.