GOOD NEWS MORE RESIDENCY SPOTS COMING

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't see anything about an increase in plastics residencies...?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You know that the Republican House is absolutely not going to pass this for 2 reasons:

1) It's something Obama suggests, so it is automatically bad.

2) Expanding Medicare for any reason?! Republicans absolutely won't go for that.

It's nice to have a dream, but as this is something Congress will have to pass, it's 90% not going to happen.

It seems to mention only increasing primary care and psych spots...

I didnt think there was any shortage of spots for people wanting to match in these fields as is. Perhaps it opens the doors for more foreign grads.

Reactions: 1 user

I didnt think there was any shortage of spots for people wanting to match in these fields as is. Perhaps it opens the doors for more foreign grads.

Doesn't matter to administration. There's a shortage of PCPs and psychiatrists across the country.

Its a start this has a good chance of passing even republi
You know that the Republican House is absolutely not going to pass this for 2 reasons:

2) Expanding Medicare for any reason?! Republicans absolutely won't go for that.

It's nice to have a dream, but as this is something Congress will have to pass, it's 90% not going to happen.
This is a start and I believe it will pass. Republicans are pushing for the increase, brought on by the lobbyists

We don't need more FM residency spots, we need to increase the salary of existing ones. Increase the average FM resident salary to ~90k and watch what happens.

Reactions: 2 users
We don't need more FM residency spots, we need to increase the salary of existing ones. Increase the average FM resident salary to ~90k and watch what happens.
that'd be the highest paid resident ever. I think if the average FM salary went up to 250-300k, people wouldn't think twice.

This is good news for people like the OP, who went Caribbean. Not sure it will make much of a difference for MD/DO students.

I'm just worried this will be an excuse to decrease reimbursements for FP Docs even further. :(

If FM paid $270k then it'd be more competitive than IM to get a spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please, just no more radiology slots

Reactions: 3 users
There are already a ton of residency spots in places that no one wants to be. Primary care pays terribly, no one wants to deal with that nonsense and this is just a proposition. I also noticed the thing about the "team-based approach" aka using lesser trained people in an attempt to decrease costs by skimping on quality.

Reactions: 3 users
That can't be done because it just might work.

Reactions: 1 users

That and the bill is a joke. It's trying to put a bandaid on a much bigger problem.

I dont know if I like this bill.. it doesn't affect US MD/DOs that much. all it does is make it muchhh easier for foreign students to come and practice in the US since there are more spots. And i feel like with more docs, teh salary will surely go down, and US students go to other specialties.

w/o the 200k+ loans under their belt, IMG doctors are much more willing to work w/ lower salaries.

I would sincerely hope med students aren't foolish enough to change their career plans for a 3 year relative pay hike of about 30-40K during their training period.

I would sincerely hope med students aren't foolish enough to change their career plans for a 3 year relative pay hike of about 30-40K during their training period.

While I think some would be, that's not really what I was thinking. This would make it much easier of a decision for those students, like myself, who want to go into FM but are hesitant because of our loan burden. I could pay off a decent chunk of my loans with an extra 40k/yr for 3 yrs. I just can't believe how freakin low resident salaries are, that's all. Why is it that one day you're still a pgy3 making 45k and 24 hrs later you're an attending making 200k.

Last edited:
Recruiting primary care practitioners for the residencies makes sense because young people are interested in working with teams of providers, the officials said.

lol what a bunch of class-A *****s

The proposal also addresses a shortage of mental health providers by offering residencies for psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners and other mental health providers as part of the team-based approach.

How many of these "residencies" are going to ACGME programs to train doctors as opposed to NPs?

While I think some would be, that's not really what I was thinking. This would make it much easier of a decision for those students, like myself, who want to go into FM but are hesitant because of our loan burden. I could pay off a decent chunk of my loans with an extra 40k/yr for 3 yrs. I just can't believe how freakin low resident salaries are, that's all. Why is it that one day you're still a pgy3 making 45k and 24 hrs later you're an attending making 200k.

Most PGY3s make significantly more than 45k. I think it would be incredibly foolish to choose a career based on a three year earning period, especially when that period is still by far the lowest earning period of that career. And most residents wouldn't manage to pay off their loans if they had an extra 30k. They'd just get some of that delayed gratification out of the system a few years earlier.

FP is regarded as a nice working environment by many students, it sure would help to give it a salary bump. Choosing a career based on salary is stupid, I agree, but let's face it, rads is not popular because reading images all day on a monitor is nicer than doing general clinic.

FP is regarded as a nice working environment by many students, it sure would help to give it a salary bump. Choosing a career based on salary is stupid, I agree, but let's face it, rads is not popular because reading images all day on a monitor is nicer than doing general clinic.
And as someone said, money, when you are young, is worth thrice.

I'm not arguing whether choosing a career based on salary is smart or dumb. I'm just saying choosing a career because of resident salary is exceptionally dumb, as you'd be talking about a total 90-100k difference in lifetime earnings

Most up-and-coming radiologists I know (excluding those interested in interventional) have no desire to see patients regularly. That's why they picked rads, lol. If I didn't like patients, sitting in a room with a computer screen would be better than asking 10 non-compliant patients about their excuses as to why they are non-compliant.

Anyboyd else read this in his voice?

LyIEhj9.jpg

And as someone said, money, when you are young, is worth thrice.
Kahreek, sometimes I think it best if you slipped in your bathtub and hemorrhaged; other times you're a friggin genius.

But like....Do people actually use the word thrice in real life?