good or bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicalmedicine

Guitarist/future MD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm considering taking general chem II, physics I, Pre-calc. and a humanities class in one semester; does this seem like too much or a do able amount while not working?

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on you personally. I've taken Genetics, O Chem 2 and cal 3-based stats in one semester and did fine, but for other people that kind of semester would be suicide; similarly, this semester I had only 2 sciences, but my 2 non-sciences classes are kicking my butt. So I can't really tell you what would be too much for you personally; some people will find certain things hard than others..

It all depends on you personally. I've taken Genetics, O Chem 2 and cal 3-based stats in one semester and did fine, but for other people that kind of semester would be suicide; similarly, this semester I had only 2 sciences, but my 2 non-sciences classes are kicking my butt. So I can't really tell you what would be too much for you personally; some people will find certain things hard than others..

Agreed, but the OP's schedule doesn't sound too bad, especially if he/she doesn't have to work. I think it should be readily doable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I'm considering taking general chem II, physics I, Pre-calc. and a humanities class in one semester; does this seem like too much or a do able amount while not working?

I did the same exact thing winter quarter of freshman year

Chem + Lab 6 units
Physics + Lab 5 units
Calc 4 units
Humanities: Writing + Seminar 8 units

(Quarter system)

I got a 3.5 that quarter:eek: I vowed never to do that again...

But it depends on you... If you know you can handle it, then go ahead... otherwise, skip it...

You'll probably end up finding that this is too easy, but if you're a freshman, its all good... you should also have plenty of time to get a good research and/or volunteering gig if you want.

And, can you even take physics without having taken pre-calc first? If I remember correctly, pre-calc also included trig stuff, and you definetely need to have a good understanding of trigonometry for physics. But if you've already taken trig in high school or something then you should be set.

Best of luck :xf:

I did the same exact thing winter quarter of freshman year

Chem + Lab 6 units
Physics + Lab 5 units
Calc 4 units
Humanities: Writing + Seminar 8 units

(Quarter system)

I got a 3.5 that quarter:eek: I vowed never to do that again...

But it depends on you... If you know you can handle it, then go ahead... otherwise, skip it...

Yeah I did that too, except that I had orgo2 + 3 hour lab, microbio + 4 hour lab, calc1, and intermediate writting (research papers).

I agree with GoSpursGo. It depends on the person.

musicalmedicine, find out how the professors for your courses are from your fellow students. If they are not too demanding (don't give you a lot of stupid 10 point assigments that take 3 hours to do) and they lecture well, then you might as well be fine.

Doable for me: yes. Doable for you? I don't know.
Just depends on you.

I'm going to have to agree with everyone here. It really won't be bad at all. None of those classes are particularly hard. Just make sure you get your work done before you party, and don't fall behind on your work schedule and you will be fine.

its all about you, your school, the difficulty (and quality) of the individual professors. pickaprof is your friend during times like this.