Good Pathology Picture resource?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TChapmanwvu1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anybody knows of a good source, preferably text, for pathology pictures and slides. Yes I know Goljian is an excellent review, but I'm looking for something more focused on pictures.

I am a first year student and I feel as though I may not be getting enough practice with Histo and Pathology in this regard, so if I could find a resource to complement my schools curriculum and correlate it with some limited early board prep it would be ideal.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard some people mention something called web path online. Honestly I just used to keep google images open myself.

I used webpath for questions each block. Great questions, never tried their images.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I use webpath, its overall the lowest priority, after I study, do rapid review, and do questions over and over again, I lastly hit up histopath slides, to solidify concepts/gain a few extra bits of knowledge, but the time/benefit ratio is not ideal, thus low priority, but still should be gone through.

http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/ORGAN.html
http://library.aua.edu.ag/webpath/webpath/organ.htm#2 (idk why this page has more options)

Other than that, if you want "high yield" histopath, find "Goljans audio lecture slides"

Robbins Atlas of Pathology takes all of the images from big robbins and baby robbins and puts it into one place. Each image has 4-5 sentences explanation. It's probably too low yield for boards studying though. I'd only recommend it for review within a path course. I think your best bet is Golijan's RR pathology. You get really great images plus the tables plus the blue margins notes. Couple that with Pathoma and you have a winner.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah some of Goljan's images in his book are downright beautiful.

Thanks for replies everyone. Seems like the consensus is the Utah website, which is really good, and Goljian. I had been holding off on RR because I figured I would hit it hard during 2nd year during review. I figured Big Robins, class notes and first aid would be enough. I am really going to consider RR now mainly for the pics and for the review next year.

Does anybody have any info / knowledge on how the USMLE is in regards to questions with pictures. Since I'm a first year I haven't been going through Uworld yet, so I don't have examples besides those questions on the First Aid website they put up for free. It seems like every time I see a sample question it has some sort of histopath linked with it.

Gross/micro pictures do appear on the step. Usually they occur alongside a stem which is detailed enough for you to come to the correct answer without it, but often times they'll leave one or two things out of the stem and expect you to put two and two together between the picture and it. Or perhaps the stem will lead you to believe its not so bad, and then the image changes everything (on biopsy we see this).

Of course the actual question will be about the mechanism of this disease you believe it to be, or a drug to treat it, or some other aspect of it.