Good plan for a reapplicant who is graduating this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uspchef

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my story:

I'm graduating from USP with a GPA of around 3.4. I'm not really sure what my science GPA is though. I applied to PCOM in 2009 with a 21P on my MCATs. Unfortunately, I did not even get an interview :(. I'm planning on calling the dean to see what was wrong with my application and what I can improve (most likely my MCATs). So I'm planning on taking a year off to study for the MCATs all over again. I'll spend around 3-4 months devoted to MCATs. So I'll take the MCATs around October. In the the meantime, I'll start applying/looking for jobs as a research technician. Hopefully, all of that will prepare myself for reapplying in 2011-2012 cycle. So what does everyone think about my plan?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, good idea on retaking/studying alot for the MCAT. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. 21P is just plain bad. The average of people who take it is 24, average of people who apply is 27, and average of those who are accepted is 30. And even those who make higher than that dont get in alot of the time.

3.4 is kinda low GPA, but not-undoable. Depending on what schools you are planning on applying to, you may want to consider a post-bacc SMP or something to make that gpa look better.

I'm planning on applying to DO schools like PCOM and UMDNJ

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, study and re-take the MCAT.

What are you other EC's? You need some clinical experience. For DO schools, DO shadowing (with a LOR) seem standard.

How many schools did you apply to? If you applied to just one, you are stacking the odds against yourself.

Did you apply early or late(r)? Early is better.

Do that exit interview for sure.

I have been an EMT for an ambulance company called jeffstat for over 2 years. i volunteered at HUP for two summers but I didn't finish the second summer because of personal reasons. I know that isn't enough so I'm planning on shadowing some doctors this year and trying to get a research tech job.

So now I have another question. Since I have a GPA of around 3.4 (a little lower), should I take a post bac program at drexel? I feel like if I take it, I won't be able to take my MCATs until around August 2011 and I want to apply to medical school early this time around. Any advice?