good post-bacc or one year masters programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fozzy40

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still playing "the waiting game" for a couple of medical schools that I applied to and would like to get everyone's input on any good post-bacc or one year masters programs just in case I dont matriculate. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Master of Biomedical Science program at Barry University (North Miami). Kinda expensive ($500/credit) but most of the graduates get in to med school (mostly D.O., myself included). If you're looking at D.O. schools, Nova has its own MBS program, i think if you have an 80 or better avg, automatic interview to the med school.

I was looking for one too and still looking. What I have found, was giving to me here when I asked this same question a couple of months ago.

This website is pretty good.
<a href="http://www-hobbes.syr.edu/hpap/LISTPB.HTM" target="_blank">http://www-hobbes.syr.edu/hpap/LISTPB.HTM</a>

The best program I found so far is at the Boston University school of Medicine. 90% of those that have completed the program are excepted in to medical school (MD and DO). Most have choosen to go MD but clearly, both options are avalible. It is a 12 month program that awards a MA in Medical Sciences. It looks like a great program and if I don't get in after next year, I will probably move there.

I hope this isn't nessesary for you,

Ryan

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the masters program in biomedical sciences @ Nova a a one-year or two-year program?

MA in Bioethics at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. I just completed it last spring and I think it helped give great depth to my applications and it made me a unique and (more) interesting candidate. The topic came up at all of my interviews (got into every school I interviewed at and got interviews at every school I applied to) and my interviewers seemed impressed by my knowledge of the medical world. This degree includes two hundred hours of clinical experience: going on rounds, attending clinics, meetings, etc... at two area hospitals and a hospice (whose basis is very similar to the DO philosophy). I learned a ton and it was very interesting for me, especially as a future physician. The professors there also try to ensure that you get where you want to go (law school, med school, etc...). It is a very strong program and if you're looking for something that isn't too science related (my sciences were very strong but I didn't have too much humanity experience)... this is an excellent program. :)

If you have any other questions, feel free to message me or post here. Hope this helps!