Good Post Bacc Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dmite

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope some of you can shed a little light on this subject for me. I have been researching post bacc programs and all of them seem to b ethe same. I was wondering is this true or do some programs have a better reputation and a higher placement rate than others? If so, which ones would you recommend? Are there any programs offering scholarships or grants? Any info provided would be helpful.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well, first of all, I think it depends on what type of post-bacc program you're looking into--(A) ones for people who need to fulfill premedical prerequisites or (B) ones for people who need to strengthen their science GPA.

If you're (A), Columbia has a great program with linkage to several good med schools, like Temple University. So does MCP/Hannaman. You want to find a good structured program with lots of advising and resources.

If you're (b), then there are programs that let you take classes with first-year med students at certain schools. If you end up matriculating there, you've already racked up some credits... there's a Masters in Physiology at Finch/Chicago Medical School. There are programs at MCP/Hannemann, UConn, and UPenn that lets you take classes with their med students.

BASICALLY, if there's a post-bacc program at a school whose med school you would love to go to, then it might help to go there. OTHERWISE, my premed advisor tells me that they are pretty much all the same. Med schools just want to know that you can perform well in these science classes. Quality of life is important, so if there's a post-bacc program close to your family, then that's a big plus. Remember, these programs can be pretty expensive...

Thnaks carolyn for your input. I would fall into the first catagory because I need the pre reqs. Barry University (Fla) told me about a two year program they offer were you take the science req the first year then take first year medical classes as a graduate student and recieve Masters in Biomedical Science. If I do that how are those classes viewed. Will I have to retake those classes or will I matriculate with advance standing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Carolyn for your input. I would fall into the first catagory because I need the pre reqs. Barry University (Fla) told me about a two year program they offer were you take the science req the first year then take first year medical classes as a graduate student and recieve Masters in Biomedical Science. If I do that how are those classes viewed. Will I have to retake those classes or will I matriculate with advance standing?

well, if you end up matriculating at barry university for medical school, i would assume that they would give you credit for those classes. [as that is the case with the finch/chicago medical school master's program in applied physiology]. i can't see a school making you retake the same course you already took at their own school. however, if you plan to matriculate at another medical school, then that may be a different story. my best advice is to call your prospective schools and ask what their policy is... good luck!

I am presently finishing up the barry university masters in biomedical science program. First of all, barry only has a podiatry school, if you plan on attending the podiatry school then, yes all credits will transfer, otherwise, you have to negotiate with the school. I am planning on attending umdnj-som next year and they've told me that i can test out of gross, histo, physio, biochem, and even neuro, but it's up to the professors, i'm not planning on testing out of so many... i'm really happy with the program, it really does help you get in to med school, wherever i went for interviews, i found people from the program, and most med schools seemed to know about it. i've heard that at nsu-com most of the students from the program seem to do well. the other good thing is that if you don't get in you actually have a degree to show for all your efforts. there is also a one year program, that is considerably tougher, although i don't see much sense in it, since you have to wait a year anyway while you apply...I would still think that if you can get in to one of those programs that give you a guarantee of admission at the med school of your choice if you do well enough, and you don't have to repeat the courses, you would probably be better off, otherwise, barry is probably your best bet... you can email me if you have more questions... good luck!
pirulo
umdnj-som 2004

If you didn't get in this year and your undergrad GPA wasn't great (like mine), then a post bac is a great way to spend one year.

A buddy of mine from St George's did a Master's at Finch and surprisingly got rejected (he's very charismatic and intelligent, not sure what happened there). The rest of his friends in the same program seem to have gotten into the medical school at Finch, so it's not guranteed, but it sure does improve your chances a lot if you did your post bac at your preferred med school. Again, at Finch, it was only one year.

It's worthwhile to check the programs' "links" with med schools- some schools have agreements with med schools to hold spots in each class. The school nominates a few people during the year and as long as they maintain grades while they're in the program, they are accepted to med school without going through the hideous AMCAS process or trying to find a one-year job between post-bacc and med school. Before you sign any papers though, talk to the staff about whether you have a chance at one of these spots.
Also, check the length of the program and their flexibility. I looked at (and didn't apply to) Columbia's program because it's a two-year program and they avoid letting people place out of the basic science classes. They also put you in the same huge classes with all of the undergrad pre-meds. Other programs squeeze everything in to one year plus one summer and have small post-bacc only classes (Goucher does this). I would guess that all of the post-bacc programs are fund-raisers for the schools but Columbia's seemed worse than most.