Good Pre-Med Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Engineering. Makes it easier to stand out. Works as a good backup plan if needed.

It also does a good job of murdering people's GPAs, even very smart people.

Members don't see this ad.

Needless to say do something you like (and can get a decent gpa in!).

Things you might want to think about, though:

Professor quality - profs make or break courses...lack of good teaching can make or break majors, too, in my opinion at least. Even if bio is your favorite subject but all the bio profs are horrible, I'd still recommend looking elsewhere, unless you are SO interested and SO enthusiastic about biology that you don't care who's teaching. And even if you can teach yourself well enough, you still have no control over grading schemes, test designs, etc. I'd look for allied fields like biochemistry, bioengineering, biological anthropology, or something. TALK TO UPPERCLASSMEN, they will have the best takes on professor quality. Take what they say with a grain of salt, since they'll usually be biased in favor of their own major. Try to find someone with similar interests and academic ability/way of thinking as you.

Science majors - majoring in science (bio, chem, phys, engineering, etc.) is nice because it opens up lots of (biomedical-type) research opportunities, lets you meet more faculty, and so forth... It's also convenient with pre-med overlapping and MCAT prep. As people have said, MCAT chem is more or less a breeze if you're an upper level chem major...not sure if such would be as true for MCAT bio and bio majors. Within the sciences I'd recommend chemistry because IMO it gives you a strong foundation for understanding just about any physical (or biological) phenomenon....bio is pretty abstract (in a high-level sense) sometimes, and physics is pretty mathematical most of the time. Chemistry is a nice middleground....but it ain't no cakewalk. I'm not telling you chem is the best - that's for you, your interests, your abilities, etc. to decide.

Majoring in other things - if you have any inkling of a passion for another subject area, now is your chance to explore it. Adcoms won't look poorly on a non-science major at all. The only situation I can conceive of is if you're really going for a research-oriented program (i.e. Harvard HST), you're going to need serious research experience as well as subject knowledge and to get that you'd probably be a science/engineering major.

My biggest piece of advice is this: don't pick a major based on the fact that you're pre-med, do it based on your gut interests. At the end of the day (long-ass day, that is), you'll be an M.D. and your major won't matter. Use your undergraduate time to build the skills and knowledge that you want to have and are interested in having. As a senior, my regret is not having done more computer science and engineering and math. That's stuff I really liked, but I went with chemistry/linguistics double. I don't regret those majors - I love them both, and the departments are great - but I didn't NEED 2 majors, and I could totally have spent more time developing skills that I'd appreciate in years to come, that might come in handy should I ever want to do research (or become a garage tinkerer, inventor, DIY-guy, whatever). Because that's the sort of crap I love. Bottom line - figure out what sort of crap you love (whether it's building stuff, or discussing Russian literature). What skills and knowledge would you wish for in the future, in addition to your medical knowledge? I think having academic passions is important not only for your sanity but also for being genuine in interviews and applications, and believe me, it definitely comes across when people are genuinely into something rather than just in it for the research ops to crank out a 2nd author paper to pad the ol' application.

Reactions: 1 user
Does doing a bio major with a different concentration look at all interesting to adcoms? I'm leaning towards doing bio with a concentration in marine science, because I've always been pretty interested in sea life. :O

I wanted to do a double major at one point too, but I honestly can't find a subject that interests me besides medicine and sea critters. I mean, I'd like to major in archaeology or linguistics or Japanese, but my school doesn't offer a major in any of those things, and I don't want to transfer, because my current school supports me well financially. Oh well. =/

Members don't see this ad :)
It also does a good job of murdering people's GPAs, even very smart people.

That's not always true. That, or I'm way smarter than I give myself credit for. I figure it makes the smart people stand out when they have a high GPA in engineering, whereas I know tons of bio majors with high GPAs who really aren't very smart at all. But yes, if you want the best chance of optimizing your GPA, engineering may not be a good bet.

That's not always true. That, or I'm way smarter than I give myself credit for. I figure it makes the smart people stand out when they have a high GPA in engineering, whereas I know tons of bio majors with high GPAs who really aren't very smart at all. But yes, if you want the best chance of optimizing your GPA, engineering may not be a good bet.

Of course some are successful at keeping a high GPA, and congrats for doing so. However, as you said, that's the minority.

That is not always true, but it is generally true. Do you have a 4.0?

Last edited:
Needless to say do something you like (and can get a decent gpa in!).

Things you might want to think about, though:

Professor quality - profs make or break courses...lack of good teaching can make or break majors, too, in my opinion at least. Even if bio is your favorite subject but all the bio profs are horrible, I'd still recommend looking elsewhere, unless you are SO interested and SO enthusiastic about biology that you don't care who's teaching. And even if you can teach yourself well enough, you still have no control over grading schemes, test designs, etc. I'd look for allied fields like biochemistry, bioengineering, biological anthropology, or something. TALK TO UPPERCLASSMEN, they will have the best takes on professor quality. Take what they say with a grain of salt, since they'll usually be biased in favor of their own major. Try to find someone with similar interests and academic ability/way of thinking as you.

Science majors - majoring in science (bio, chem, phys, engineering, etc.) is nice because it opens up lots of (biomedical-type) research opportunities, lets you meet more faculty, and so forth... It's also convenient with pre-med overlapping and MCAT prep. As people have said, MCAT chem is more or less a breeze if you're an upper level chem major...not sure if such would be as true for MCAT bio and bio majors. Within the sciences I'd recommend chemistry because IMO it gives you a strong foundation for understanding just about any physical (or biological) phenomenon....bio is pretty abstract (in a high-level sense) sometimes, and physics is pretty mathematical most of the time. Chemistry is a nice middleground....but it ain't no cakewalk. I'm not telling you chem is the best - that's for you, your interests, your abilities, etc. to decide.

Majoring in other things - if you have any inkling of a passion for another subject area, now is your chance to explore it. Adcoms won't look poorly on a non-science major at all. The only situation I can conceive of is if you're really going for a research-oriented program (i.e. Harvard HST), you're going to need serious research experience as well as subject knowledge and to get that you'd probably be a science/engineering major.

My biggest piece of advice is this: don't pick a major based on the fact that you're pre-med, do it based on your gut interests. At the end of the day (long-ass day, that is), you'll be an M.D. and your major won't matter. Use your undergraduate time to build the skills and knowledge that you want to have and are interested in having. As a senior, my regret is not having done more computer science and engineering and math. That's stuff I really liked, but I went with chemistry/linguistics double. I don't regret those majors - I love them both, and the departments are great - but I didn't NEED 2 majors, and I could totally have spent more time developing skills that I'd appreciate in years to come, that might come in handy should I ever want to do research (or become a garage tinkerer, inventor, DIY-guy, whatever). Because that's the sort of crap I love. Bottom line - figure out what sort of crap you love (whether it's building stuff, or discussing Russian literature). What skills and knowledge would you wish for in the future, in addition to your medical knowledge? I think having academic passions is important not only for your sanity but also for being genuine in interviews and applications, and believe me, it definitely comes across when people are genuinely into something rather than just in it for the research ops to crank out a 2nd author paper to pad the ol' application.

Good first post, solid advice.

After doing some research I found that I need an easier major to make myself a better looking med school applicant by being involved more in the humanities, and being a BioE will be very difficult to obtain a 3.7 GPA. Plus, at the time of picking BioE I wanted to eventually get into Neural Engineering. So Neuroscience was initially my first interest.

The problem is that I sent off my college applications already. I applied to UCSD, UCB, UCLA, and UCD for BioE. UCD is my ultimate fall-back plan. BioE is impacted at UCSD, as well as all of their Bio based majors. My plan is to wait until I hear the verdict on where I got into school at. At which time I will then call and make an apt. with a counselor at the destined UC to change my major (if possible) to Neuroscience (if not then Biochem). I know there will be a lot of paper work to go through, that is if it is possible. Does this sound like a good plan or should I pursue things differently?
Does anyone know if it is possible to opt out of a major and into Neuroscience at any of the UC's I mentioned above?

Also, if anyone has taken Neuroscience or neurobiology at UCLA, UCB, or UCSD let me know what you thought of it. Thank you!!!

Last edited:
After doing some research I found that I need an easier major to make myself a better looking med school applicant by being involved more in the humanities, and being a BioE will be very difficult to obtain a 3.7 GPA. Plus, at the time of picking BioE I wanted to eventually get into Neural Engineering. So Neuroscience was initially my first interest.

The problem is that I sent off my college applications already. I applied to UCSD, UCB, UCLA, and UCD for BioE. UCD is my ultimate fall-back plan. BioE is impacted at UCSD, as well as all of their Bio based majors. My plan is to wait until I hear the verdict on where I got into school at. At which time I will then call and make an apt. with a counselor at the destined UC to change my major (if possible) to Neuroscience (if not then Biochem). I know there will be a lot of paper work to go through, that is if it is possible. Does this sound like a good plan or should I pursue things differently?
Does anyone know if it is possible to opt out of a major and into Neuroscience at any of the UC's I mentioned above?

Also, if anyone has taken Neuroscience or neurobiology at UCLA, UCB, or UCSD let me know what you thought of it. Thank you!!!

I may be off here but...

My advice would be to chill out a bit. Why do you need to decide on a major before even getting to college? This has always sounded a bit silly to me. Go to college, have a few ideas for a major in mind, take some classes that you find interesting, and then decide. There is really no rush unless you are doing an engineering major.

Fair warning though, I would not expect neuroscience to be too much easier than BME. From what I hear it can be pretty killer.

Anyways, to sum it up, heck no it is not too late, most schools give you until your junior year to pick a major.

Why do you need to decide on a major before even getting to college?

This is good advice. The majority of people end up changing their major at least once before they graduate. I was originally general science/pharmacy then switched at the end of my freshman year to chem/biochem.

I was entertaining the prospect of majoring in biological science with a minor in the humanities. This should be sufficient. I'm thinking a double major may overload and run the risk of lowering my gpa. Plus, I do enjoy the humanities just not NEARLY as much as bio sci

Im at FSU rite now and im switching to Business with a pre-med track. I think when the only class thats interesting is Animal Diversity lab, its time to switch to a diff major.

I may be off here but...

My advice would be to chill out a bit. Why do you need to decide on a major before even getting to college? This has always sounded a bit silly to me. Go to college, have a few ideas for a major in mind, take some classes that you find interesting, and then decide. There is really no rush unless you are doing an engineering major.

Fair warning though, I would not expect neuroscience to be too much easier than BME. From what I hear it can be pretty killer.

Anyways, to sum it up, heck no it is not too late, most schools give you until your junior year to pick a major.

I should have mentioned that I am a transfer student. So I will be entering as a Junior.
And based on the pre-req. for neuroscience, it is less math and physics intensive which is why I thought it might be easier.

If your one and only goal is to go to medical school, you should should not major in chemistry, engineering and physics. These majors require much more math than you will need for med school and they also require calculus based physics. You'll end up with more science classes in total and you'll be taking more of them at the same time. That's the reason only 12% of MS1's are physical science majors. Down goes the GPA and your chances.

I used to think that admissions committees normalized undergraduate GPAs to account for the rigor of the school, major and course load. I had a conversation with an admissions director at a highly ranked med school and learned otherwise. A systematic normalization takes too much effort and time. Furthermore the US News rankings are based in part on unadjusted GPA's. Med schools use their US News ranking to promote their hospitals. Why would a med school take a lower GPA than a higher one? It won't.

Here's the deal. Fail all placement exams. Make your freshman year of college a repeat of your senior year in high school. Take an easy major. Find out which profs are easiest and take them. Stay out of trouble. Get some good EC's and try to look different. Good luck. :prof:

I should have mentioned that I am a transfer student. So I will be entering as a Junior.
And based on the pre-req. for neuroscience, it is less math and physics intensive which is why I thought it might be easier.

That's cool, and I am sure it is an interesting major. All I am saying is that I think you should allow yourself the chance to explore what college has to offer before limiting yourself to something.

If your one and only goal is to go to medical school, you should should not major in chemistry, engineering and physics. These majors require much more math than you will need for med school and they also require calculus based physics. You'll end up with more science classes in total and you'll be taking more of them at the same time. That's the reason only 12% of MS1's are physical science majors. Down goes the GPA and your chances.

I used to think that admissions committees normalized undergraduate GPAs to account for the rigor of the school, major and course load. I had a conversation with an admissions director at a highly ranked med school and learned otherwise. A systematic normalization takes too much effort and time. Furthermore the US News rankings are based in part on unadjusted GPA's. Med schools use their US News ranking to promote their hospitals. Why would a med school take a lower GPA than a higher one? It won't.

Here's the deal. Fail all placement exams. Make your freshman year of college a repeat of your senior year in high school. Take an easy major. Find out which profs are easiest and take them. Stay out of trouble. Get some good EC's and try to look different. Good luck. :prof:

Agreed. Also, if you can manage to study something you like while you are at it, that sounds like a plan to me.

I've genuinely enjoyed being a chem major for the most part, but I am so ready to move on and away from chemistry chemistry. I'm down with biochem, but if you mention molecular orbitals or Schrodinger, somebody gonna get a hurt real bad.

I've genuinely enjoyed being a chem major for the most part, but I am so ready to move on and away from chemistry chemistry. I'm down with biochem, but if you mention molecular orbitals or Schrodinger, somebody gonna get a hurt real bad.

I went to a seminar on Schrodinger not too long ago.

Definitely share your pain with MO, though!

Russell Peters...nice. :laugh:

I really want to consider majoring in biochem but at my school biochem requires P-chem and I really don't think I could handle that class with my lackluster abilities in most math related courses.

The only two things I seem to enjoy are music and science and I'm not at the level of being a full music major. So my other option is to just stick with science, more specifically biology as that seems to be what i'm currently better at.

Although this is a logical viewpoint from an admissions standpoint, I still have to admit that I hate the attitude. I feel like undergrad should be about more than just a step to medical school. When I graduate, I will definitely appreciate at least how much I've challenged myself, although it does seem masochistic at times.

schrodinger.jpg

I really want to consider majoring in biochem but at my school biochem requires P-chem and I really don't think I could handle that class with my lackluster abilities in most math related courses.

The only two things I seem to enjoy are music and science and I'm not at the level of being a full music major. So my other option is to just stick with science, more specifically biology as that seems to be what i'm currently better at.

Yeah, keeping a good gpa is another factor to keep in mind for sure...

With pretty much any major there are gonna be course requirements that seem like necessary evils...which kind of stinks. If your school offers "modified majors" then that might be a way to alleviate the problem a bit...

Then again I really would not be concerned with the name of the major as it would appear on your transcript/medschool application. I'm sure adcoms see the gamut of majors from "just plain Biology" to "Biophysical chemistry", what have you. I don't know for sure, but I don't think a narrower, more advanced-sounding major is necessarily going to be more impressive or make you stand out, especially if it's some variant of biology. You'd probably stand out (tho idk in a good or bad way) if your major was very unique, like say, Native American studies. But honestly, just find the path that allows you to take the most courses you want to take and can handle taking, the least courses that you don't want to/can't handle, and still fulfills some major requirement.