(Good) Psychotherapy training for health students outside of psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loveoforganic

-Account Deactivated-
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Motivation/behavior change has been a major interest of mine for a while now. What I've read on motivational interviewing (Miller & Rollnick / Rosengren) has made it very appealing to me. I know I'm never going to become proficient in it through reading / working on it alone, and I'm afraid I won't be able to get much didactics/coaching/feedback in it as a med student or resident (unless I decide to pursue psychiatry). Is this type of training actually available for those who seek it (covered by tuition or not)? I would think that as an attending, you could surely find the training somewhere, but by that point, poor interviewing habits have almost certainly become habit to some extent.

Thanks for any wisdom

Members don't see this ad.

It definitely is available. If you go to the motivational interviewing website they list trainings that are a couple of days long. The other thing that I would suggest is checking around for an SUD listserv in your area. There are always tons of trainings where I live for a variety of interventions. I know that my county and some non-profits offer trainings on MI. You might check the local substance abuse counselor certification board, they may have an online bulletin board or something of the like. The trainings are usually open to any health care professional or paraprofessional.

Thanks for the good news - I did some looking in the avenues you suggested and definitely turned up some hits that would be available to me.

On a lower note - are all of these things so expensive? It's like a month's rent for a two day training. I don't believe my parents (LCSWs) have to pay for their continuing education sessions - is this probably due to trainings being sponsored by schools or some such?