Good Reading on DO's

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by tuscboy, Jun 14, 2002.

1. tuscboy

tuscboy New Member

Hey I am very interested in Osteopathic medicine and am looking for some books to read to get a greater understanding of osteopathic principles. Are there any books out there that talk about modern day DO's and how they practice medicine.
    thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    A good book outlining the history and philosophy of Osteopathic medicine is "The Difference a D.O. Makes" by Bob E. Jones.

The only place I know of to get it is from this website: <a href="http://www.okosteo.org/book.html" target="_blank">http://www.okosteo.org/book.html</a> --Mr Jones used to be the Director of the Oklahoma Osteopathic Association, so that is why you can get it from them.

Around here, I've heard it referred to as the D.O. Bible.

4. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare

There is also "Osteopathic Medicine: A Reformation in Progress" by R. Michael Gallagher and Frederick J. Humphrey. You can get that on Amazon.com. In fact, Amazon.com probably has a decent list of osteopathic books you can choose from.

5. PalCareGrl

PalCareGrl Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I read "The D.O.'s " by Norman Gevitz. It gives the history of osteopathy and then some conjectures about the future of osteopathy (it was published in the early eighties I believe). I thought it was very informational and I even mentioned details from it in a couple of my interviews... you should be able to get it at most bookstores (Borders, Barnes and Noble) or online.

:)

6. OsteoMed02

OsteoMed02 Senior Member

I bought a book called "Craniosacral Therapy and Somatoemotional Release: The Inner Physician in You." It was written by a D.O. with the last name of Upledger and focuses on craniosacral therapy and its potential healing power. I haven't had a chance to delve into it, but it looks fascinating and is both explanatory and anecdotal. It looks like a good book to read for more info on osteopathy and its philosophy. Happy Reading!

7. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare

Okay, I've read The difference a DO makes and Osteopathic Medicine: A Reformation in Progress and I would highly recommend The difference a DO makes. It's a short book and covers everything you'd want to know about osteopathy. The reformation book is a bit long winded and goes into a lot of unnecessary details about the profession.