Good references to learn Spanish in medical settings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

affectiveH3art

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the direction of some good resources to learn Spanish in a medical setting? I'm currently at an intermediate level but would like to learn more. I would appreciate any notable books, online trainings/courses, audiotapes, etc. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

If the resource covers counseling or assessment related terminology even better. I will be working as a psychology intern at a hospital with mostly Spanish speaking families so anything will help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm intermediate proficiency and not providing services in Spanish currently, just hoping to in the future. During the summer I will be providing services in Spanish but In co-therapy unless I'm near fluent per agreement with my supervisor.

This is not specific to mental health practice, but Conversation Exchange (www.conversationexchange.com) allows you to find a "buddy" for practicing another language. Usually the other person wants to learn your first language, and vice versa. You can Skype or use some other means of chatting via text or voice. Free practice with a native speaker is probably the single best learning tool there is. There are some phrase books and so forth for mental health professionals to supplement your vocabulary, but being forced to listen and produce speech will increase your fluency more quickly than using a book.

Reactions: 1 user
I am glad that you are working on your Spanish language skills; we have a huge pipeline issue - very few Spanish-speaking psychologists and psychologists in training compared to the enormous need. I'd argue that we need more bilingual/bicultural folks getting recruited into the psych field, but that is beside the point. The good thing is that you are learning! The thing that worries me the most, though, is that it is simply not possible for you to move from an 'intermediate' level to a 'fluent' or 'near-fluent' level of Spanish in the span of a few months, particularly if you are only studying the language/practicing it on the side. You need true immersion...and for a much longer period of time! I say that as someone who does practice in a second language and has had many, many years of living full immersed (mono-lingual) in that language along with studying it, and still sometimes I question my full competency. Also, providing psychological services in Spanish is not the same as having a conversation in Spanish. Does your practicum offer you the opportunity to observe sessions? That is a great place to start (along with MamaPhD's advice to find a language partner). I also think reading therapy manuals in Spanish would do you well (check out from the library; many are even available online). Finally, I'd spend a lot of time getting to know the cultural values, practices, and beliefs of the groups to whom you are intending to provide services so that your conversations are not lost in translation. I'm happy to talk about my experiences providing services in a second language if you'd like. Feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely need more Spanish speaking clinicians, keep at it! As I imagine you've experienced in English, clinical language is different than conversational language. Even as a native Spanish speaker it's taken time to improve my clinical Spanish fluency. As you are probably finding, there are few resources in this area. As a grad student I didn't have any Spanish speaking supervisors and needed resources to expand my vocabulary. Two I found somewhat helpful were "An English-Spanish Manual for Mental Health Professionals" -- Guiterrez, V. and "Spanish Mental Health Glossary" -- The Cross Cultural Health Care Program. There are a few others.

The best resources, however, have been native Spanish speaking clinical supervisors. It sounds like there are other Spanish speaking clinicians at your intern site. IMO they will be your best resources. Tape your sessions if possible and review them with these supervisors. Most of all stick with it, it may take years, you will make mistakes, and you will be helping meet a great need.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone. Yes getting to a fluency level in Spanish needs immersion that is why I am applying for an immersion program in Ecuador as well continuing a summer practicum to work with Spanish speaking populations. I have no opportunities at my grad program but relocate every summer to another state to gain these experiences (most expensive since I pay rent, rent a car in 2 places). I will look into Spanish manuals and the resources mentioned. That's very helpful! I'm in year 3 of my phd program so I am aware the journey will be long in gaining such a fluency.