Good Residencies to prepare for Tox Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quicknss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have opinions on residencies that are known to have an exceptional focus on toxicology or are known for being especially active in the field of tox? I know there are a bunch of residencies that offer the fellowship but which ones are leaders in the field?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have opinions on residencies that are known to have an exceptional focus on toxicology or are known for being especially active in the field of tox? I know there are a bunch of residencies that offer the fellowship but which ones are leaders in the field?

Thank you!

Any residency program that is associated with a fellowship will likely have opportunities for you to do extra tox time and hook you up with some Toxicologists. However, you should focus on getting through and excelling in Residency, as that will likely be the largest factor associated with continuing on to Fellowship. Since Tox programs are very diverse and all have their own forte, I would strong recommend against trying to choose a residency based on which program gives you the best chance of getting into a specific Toxicology fellowship. Instead, be awesome, do some research in the field, then choose a program based on your interest.

I agree.

First priority is choosing a residency that you'll excel and be happy in. No matter where you train, you'll be just as "prepared" for a toxicology fellowship.

But, if you wanted to do research or side projects in toxicology, you would give extra consideration to programs with affiliated fellowships. If you decide to go a step further, I would look for fellowships with more faculty/fellows. More faculty and fellows most likely will mean more possibilities you would find projects and a mentor that fit. But, that's about as much thought as I'd put into it. It's hard enough deciding where you want to train, than worrying about fellowship training afterwards.

County has a very strong Tox program and usually will give spots to inbred residents.