Good Residency vs. Bad residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphahelix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I often hear people talking about there are good and bad residency programs and the medical school that you go to will determine the kind of program you'll get into. I understand the competitiveness of different specialties in residency but i wonder, for example, if a recent graduate got matched into a family practice residency with a formidable name like UCSF or Stanford, how is that residency program different from one like with Kaiser or at a county hosptial? Will the status of the residency program determine whether you'd get a good job with higher pay once you completed it?

Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

alphahelix said:
Hi all,

I often hear people talking about there are good and bad residency programs and the medical school that you go to will determine the kind of program you'll get into. I understand the competitiveness of different specialties in residency but i wonder, for example, if a recent graduate got matched into a family practice residency with a formidable name like UCSF or Stanford, how is that residency program different from one like with Kaiser or at a county hosptial? Will the status of the residency program determine whether you'd get a good job with higher pay once you completed it?

Thanx

Hi there,
It is not your medical school that will determine your residency but your performance at your medical school. If you have good grades and competitive USMLE Step I scores along with a decent work-ethic (good LORs), you can have the residency of your choice in the speciality of your choice.

Get into any accredited medical school and do well. Then you are the master of your fate.

njbmd :)

njbmd said:
Hi there,
It is not your medical school that will determine your residency but your performance at your medical school. If you have good grades and competitive USMLE Step I scores along with a decent work-ethic (good LORs), you can have the residency of your choice in the speciality of your choice.

Get into any accredited medical school and do well. Then you are the master of your fate.

Coming from you that definately means a lot. What year in residency are you?

njbmd said:
Hi there,

Thank you for the response.

However, what separates and determines a good residency program from a bad one? Is it just the name (like doing a residency at UCSF vs. doing a residency at a country hosptial) or because of other factors?

:laugh: