• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

BassDominator

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
Status
Anybody know of good websites or other sources to read up on the topic? Any suggestions of good companies to consolodate/refinance with? Any personal tips?

Krafty

15+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2003
Philly
Status
During our exit interview Sallie Mae was trying to sell us on their stuff. Basically their deal was:

0.25% Off for automatic debit
1% off rate after 33 consecutive payments
-and then some (I don't remember the rest, it wasn't that much tho).

My friend found this company though, that if legit (aka federal consolidator) ...check this

www.educationalloancompany.com

0.5% off of your rate for automatic debit
1% off of your rate after 24 consecutive payments

Seems like the best deal out there, unfortunately I have not seen the fine print. Some of the questions to be asked is
-Does forbearance forfeit the benefits?
-Is economic hardship deferment possible (w/o forfeiting benefits)?
-What are the fees?
:confused:

Check them out and post you you find something. :thumbup: / :thumbdown:

beriberi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2004
midwasteland
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Our school recommends T.H.E. Their "bonus" is 0.75%, but it kicks in immeadiately. They say that this saves you more money over the life of the loan. Also, if you miss a payment, you get the bonus back as soon as you are paying again.

www.northstar.org

About the Ads

BassDominator

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
Status
Thanks, guys.

Krafty: It doesn't seem like the site you suggested charged any fees. I vaguely remember hearing that you can't charge an origination fee on loan consolidation. Anyone know if this is true?

Beriberi: The calculators on that site were very helpful.

I'm no wizard at math. Can someone come up with some formulas to compare deals like these?

BassDominator

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
Status
Okay, I did some math to compare the deals. I have way too much time on my hands right now. Here we go:

I have about $100,000 in loans and plan to make standard monthly payments of $1000/month. Assuming an interest rate of 4%, I calculated the time it would take me to pay off different consolidation options:

Sallie Mae (discounts: 1% after 33 mos, 0.25% autodebit)
117 monthly payments @ $1000
1 final payment of $351

American Loan Company (1% @ 24 mos, 0.5% autodebit, 0.6% grace during period)
114 monthly payments @ $1000
1 final payment of $830

Northstar (0.75%)
117 monthly payments @ $1000
1 final payment of $410

Email/PM me and I will send you the Excel spreadsheet I used to do these calculations.

I've never heard of American Loan Company. Anyone know if they are reputable?

frog4brooke

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2003
Eastern Time Zone
Status
BassDominator said:
Thanks, guys.

Krafty: It doesn't seem like the site you suggested charged any fees. I vaguely remember hearing that you can't charge an origination fee on loan consolidation. Anyone know if this is true?
This is correct. Federally mandated that there are no origination/application fees.

There was an interesting discussion on consolidation and deferement about a month ago. May want to do a search.

F4B

Found it:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=111356&page=2&pp=20&highlight=loan+deferment

southerndoc

life is good
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2002
Atlanta
Status
Attending Physician
See the financial aid forum. There are a ton of resources and message threads about loan consolidation. I mentioned a few points in some of those messages that you should really listen to (looking for the interest rates the last of May, borrow benefits, etc.). Check it out.

BassDominator

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
Status
Thanks, southerndoc. I don't know how I missed the financial aid forum.... didn't find any useful threads there at the moment, though.

About the Ads