1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Resources for Loan Consolidation?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by BassDominator, Apr 22, 2004.

1. BassDominator

BassDominator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Anybody know of good websites or other sources to read up on the topic? Any suggestions of good companies to consolodate/refinance with? Any personal tips?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Krafty

10+ Year Member

During our exit interview Sallie Mae was trying to sell us on their stuff. Basically their deal was:

0.25% Off for automatic debit
    1% off rate after 33 consecutive payments
    -and then some (I don't remember the rest, it wasn't that much tho).

My friend found this company though, that if legit (aka federal consolidator) ...check this

www.educationalloancompany.com

0.5% off of your rate for automatic debit
    1% off of your rate after 24 consecutive payments

Seems like the best deal out there, unfortunately I have not seen the fine print. Some of the questions to be asked is
    -Does forbearance forfeit the benefits?
    -Is economic hardship deferment possible (w/o forfeiting benefits)?
    -What are the fees?
    :confused:

Check them out and post you you find something. :thumbup: / :thumbdown:

4. beriberi

beriberi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Our school recommends T.H.E. Their "bonus" is 0.75%, but it kicks in immeadiately. They say that this saves you more money over the life of the loan. Also, if you miss a payment, you get the bonus back as soon as you are paying again.

www.northstar.org

5. BassDominator

7+ Year Member

Thanks, guys.

Krafty: It doesn't seem like the site you suggested charged any fees. I vaguely remember hearing that you can't charge an origination fee on loan consolidation. Anyone know if this is true?

Beriberi: The calculators on that site were very helpful.

I'm no wizard at math. Can someone come up with some formulas to compare deals like these?

6. BassDominator

7+ Year Member

Okay, I did some math to compare the deals. I have way too much time on my hands right now. Here we go:

I have about $100,000 in loans and plan to make standard monthly payments of $1000/month. Assuming an interest rate of 4%, I calculated the time it would take me to pay off different consolidation options:

Sallie Mae (discounts: 1% after 33 mos, 0.25% autodebit)
    117 monthly payments @ $1000
    1 final payment of $351

American Loan Company (1% @ 24 mos, 0.5% autodebit, 0.6% grace during period)
    114 monthly payments @ $1000
    1 final payment of $830

Northstar (0.75%)
    117 monthly payments @ $1000
    1 final payment of $410

Email/PM me and I will send you the Excel spreadsheet I used to do these calculations.

I've never heard of American Loan Company. Anyone know if they are reputable?

7. frog4brooke

frog4brooke Member
    7+ Year Member

This is correct. Federally mandated that there are no origination/application fees.

There was an interesting discussion on consolidation and deferement about a month ago. May want to do a search.

F4B

Found it:
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=111356&page=2&pp=20&highlight=loan+deferment

8. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    See the financial aid forum. There are a ton of resources and message threads about loan consolidation. I mentioned a few points in some of those messages that you should really listen to (looking for the interest rates the last of May, borrow benefits, etc.). Check it out.

9. BassDominator

7+ Year Member

Thanks, southerndoc. I don't know how I missed the financial aid forum.... didn't find any useful threads there at the moment, though.