good schools for spouse's job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am married to an engineer that would like to keep working when I go to the med school. I have the following on my list to apply for:
OHSU (ORegon)
U of Washington (Seattle)
U of Minnesota (Minneapolis)

I am also thinking about North Carolina and Boston area but I am unsure about job prospects for computer hardware/firmware engineers. If any one is in a similar situation, I would like to hear from them.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not a resident of WA/AK/ID/WY/MT, then you're not very likely to get into UWash. There are exceptions.

OHSU is more OOS friendly. And Intel's there.

I suggest that your spouse should research what companies he/she wants to work for, and find out where they have R&D. Any large metropolitan area is going to be a decent bet.

North Carolina & Boston are good bets.

NC has Cisco, IBM and other software companies. I would recommed that your spouse start floating his resume with these places listed on his resume and I'm sure all of these have opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might have already considrered, but if he is already working in a place, why not try to go to med school in the area? Which place are you currently in? May be folks on the thread can help with info on schools there.

Well, since my husband just took the last 4 months finding a job where we are moving, I may suggest that he looks now at the job markets in the places that you are interested in going. Smaller markets are obviously going to have fewer jobs, and a slower turn over rate. For us, my husband works in computer software, and there are alot of jobs right now, but it still is hard to find something, and he has to go out now to start, while I stay here for a few more months possibly.

Anyways, you do what you have to do for a while and things will work out. I would think that any are that has a more urban center within a short proximity would be fine. NC is a good area for tech jobs. So is Chicago, and lots of schools here!

I am from Minneapolis. But I am applying outside to make sure that I will get in some where. Of course, if I get in at the local U, nothing will have to change.

I think you're putting the cart before the horse.
It's good to think about those things, but it's irrelevant if you are not accepted by schools in a certain area.

I would suggest applying to every school in a major metro area where you have a decent shot. Rack up as many acceptances as you can and let your spouse begin a job search in those areas. Choose the area that is the most promising. Hopefully you'll get a bunch of early acceptances and your spouse will have 5-6 months before you need to make a decision.

I was in a position where I really wanted to stay put for my wife's job. I ended up applying to a school EDP, as I felt it was my best shot to get in at the school I wanted. Many will say this limits your chances (which it may), but it worked for me.

I would go about this the opposite way. I'd have your husband think about where and what kind of work he wants to do, research companies, etc. Then he comes to you with a good list of companies and their locations and you can look around to see what schools are near them.

Double bonus would be if you have any family outside of Minneapolis in a city he might like to work in. Then if for some reason it takes him longer to find a job once you've been accepted and matriculate, you could live with family members for a short time to save money while he ties up loose ends in Minneapolis, finds the job, and moves down.

am also thinking about North Carolina and Boston area but I am unsure about job prospects for computer hardware/firmware engineers. If any one is in a similar situation, I would like to hear from them.
Thanks!

I agree with others here that you really have to apply widely. I ended up applying to 16 schools and I only got four interviews out of it. I know every application is unique, but do expect you'll lose some schools just to the over-competitive nature of this business.

As for locations, North Carolina has a lot of techie jobs in the Research Triangle Park area and Boston is a real tech-haven, sopping up the expertise coming out of MIT. But most major cities will have good opportunities. I would definitely include Boston, New York, and Virgina (DC area). Remember that most state schools take few out of state students, so do check before you drop that $100 application fee.

There's also the SF Bay area- Stanford and UCSF (though this is easier if you're in state) and Touro (DO school) are here. There are a ton of tech jobs (Silicon Valley).

There's also the SF Bay area- Stanford and UCSF (though this is easier if you're in state) and Touro (DO school) are here. There are a ton of tech jobs (Silicon Valley).
Touro is about as far from the Silcon Valley as you can get and still call it the Bay Area. I'd pretty much rule that one out. You'd be looking at a solid hour commute without traffic, going across the Bay Bridge. Trying it anywhere near work hours would mean over an hour and a half to most places.

Touro is about as far from the Silcon Valley as you can get and still call it the Bay Area. I'd pretty much rule that one out. You'd be looking at a solid hour commute without traffic, going across the Bay Bridge. Trying it anywhere near work hours would mean over an hour and a half to most places.

Aren't California med school just about impossible to get in for OOS students? I keep hearing that the students from CA flock to the midwest because of the number of people that live there and scarcity of seats.

Aren't California med school just about impossible to get in for OOS students? I keep hearing that the students from CA flock to the midwest because of the number of people that live there and scarcity of seats.
For most mortals, yes. If you have amazing stats, UCSF and UCLA are options.

But Touro University is osteopathic and their average stats are less stringent than most allopathic schools. They also do not have in-state bias, so far as I know.

any interest in Chicago? we have LOTS of med schools here - i think the most of any city in the nation. 5 in the city proper, 1 north and 1 DO out west. and I imagine there's work for engineers, too!

ps - all the desis live in naperville and work for cisco and lucent ;)

let me correct myself - I forgot about NYC

THEY have the most med schools. but people are nicer here in Chicago, i promise

any interest in Chicago? we have LOTS of med schools here - i think the most of any city in the nation. 5 in the city proper, 1 north and 1 DO out west. and I imagine there's work for engineers, too!
By that yardstick, Philly is a good bet, due to proximity to lots of other markets too.

ps - all the desis live in naperville and work for cisco and lucent ;)

:D:D
Me a desi, hubby not!

thame desi cho! gujarati cho ke nahi? nahi toh, aapko hindi aati hai? ya tamil - nind par endva?