1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Good schools to apply to or not?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by AceofSpades85, Jun 18, 2008.

1. AceofSpades85

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey guys. i just had a couple of questions regarding pharmacy schools. i'm a senior this year and will be graduating this summer. my gpa right now is 3.15 with science and math at 2.6 (it's low because i had to re-take orgo 1 and 2 more than once but all my other science classes i got B and B+) i plan on re-taking the pcat in august because the first time didn't go so well. i have volunteered at a hospital since my high school years and currently working at CVS pharmacy as a pharm tech. i was wondering if these schools are good to apply to, according to my criterias:

LECOM
    NOVA
    Palm Beach Atlantic University
    UF
    South University
    Univeristy of Hawaii at Hilo
    Auburn University
    Touro University
    Howard University
    Midwestern Uni
    Uni of Kentucky
    Uni of Maryland
    Uni of New Mexico
    Campbell Uni
    Saint Thersa's Med

I know that's a lot of schools but it's better to have more than just a few. If they're any schools i missed which are good, please let me know. Thanks for the help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Prepharm1214

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm a little confused by what you mean as good, any accredited school will pretty much get you into the field. Based on your stats you will need a good score on the pcat and I would personally apply to some newer schools. From that list you might have a decent shot at Hawaii and Howard, but thats just my opinion.

4. drugdoc

drugdoc Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    A 2.6 science/math may not get you in to any schools. Most have cut-off GPAs. Check into each individual school to find out what that is.

5. Garfield3d

Garfield3d An Orange Cat
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Several schools have a minimum cutoff GPA of 2.5. However, that is the minimum, and you'll likely see average GPAs stretch from 3.2-3.8. Consult the FAQ on each school for their minimum and average GPAs.

In all due honesty, your GPA is a bit low. I would say a GPA of 3.0 is the practical minimum for most schools. Try to get your GPA into the 2.8 range at least. Your experience in a pharmacy and volunteer service will help, but it won't be enough by itself. You'll want to get a PCAT score in the 90s to offset your GPA (maybe high 80s, but you're looking for a trump card to cover your GPA with, and while high 80s are good, it's not a trump card).

Newer schools, and schools that have not received their accreditation yet are generally easier to get into. Also, private schools are usually easier to get into than public schools. Honestly, I'm not too familiar with schools outside of Texas, but I think that UH-Hilo has not been accredited yet, so that may be easier to get into (although it's a public school, so it'll likely have a slant for Hawaiians).

Best of wishes.

--Garfield3d

6. njac

njac Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    what state do you have residence in? chances are your state school is your best chance.

7. soyicecream

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    unless you raise your GPA dramatically, it might be tough to get into some of the schools you mentioned without a PCAT of 90 or higher. why don't you look into California Northstate in Sacramento? It is a new pharm school in Sacramento, CA, and this year is its inauguaral class. you might have a good chance to get in there because they have a 2.5 min GPA. good luck!

8. bacillus1

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I believe Temple has a 2.5 cutoff GPA, but with that 2.5 you probably have to have other incredibly impressive credentials.

9. collegegirl247

collegegirl247 Accepted Pharmacy Student
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    apply to new schools...a 2.6 math/ science gpa won't cut it at established pharm schools

10. mrblah

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    it probably won't cut it at the new schools either.

11. AceofSpades85

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    thanks for the advice everyone. it seems like i need to bring my gpa up but i don't know how to since i'll be graduating this summer from UF with a BS in nutrition. so, basically i'm stuck with this gpa?? also, where can i find out which schools are new or old?? the only way i found about a few new schools were from my friends.

i'm new to pharmcas and this might seem like a dumb question but when i look at each school and they state a deadline for your transcript and application; is that the deadline for early decision or regular admission deadline??

12. AsianGuy26

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Although I hate this school... go to ACP but transfer into pre-pharm 1 or 2 and you'll get into P1 if you pass all those courses, that is if your willing to spend 1-2 years extra. You do need I think a 3.0 from ACP to get into the Pharm.D in third year since they just raised the GPA requirement to get in from their pre-pharm, but once your in... your in.

13. bacillus1

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    That's a good suggestion if you really really want to be a pharmacist, but you don't have to go to ACP to do that (I have heard the sufferings of AsianGuy and others, so don't go there). There are quite a few direct-entry programs on/near the east coast. Most only accept freshmen, but I think a few do accept second-years.

But the OP already has a BS, so would he/she really want to go to school for 9 or 10 years?

Besides ACP, I think MCPHS also accepts into the second year of prepharm, though I'm not sure (heard bad things about that school as well). It seems like I hear bad things about every direct-entry program (including the one I am in). I guess that's why they are soon going to get rid of such programs.

14. drugdoc

drugdoc Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    To increase your GPA, you take more classes and get higher grades. Otherwise, yes, you're stuck with your current GPA. The good thing is that you could take classes at a CC (generally easier....YES THEY ARE GENERALLY EASIER - to everyone who's in denial!!!!). When PharmCas does your GPA they take in to account every single college class you've ever taken.

Also, if you have your pre-reqs done, you can still bump your overall GPA with non-pre-req courses. If you want to increase your science/math GPAs look for classes in those areas that are more basic that you'd do well in.

Old or new: AACP.org or call the school/email them

Deadline: AACP.org or call the school/email them

15. collegegirl247

collegegirl247 Accepted Pharmacy Student
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    yes it will at new schools..

16. Garfield3d

Garfield3d An Orange Cat
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The most direct way to bring up your GPA is to retake classes, preferably at your original institution but anywhere works (even community colleges). If you got a C in any science class (introductory courses, hard classes, math classes, etc....) retake them. Getting a C never looks good, but it looks much better to admission committees if you retook the course and got an A in it. It shows that you were tenacious enough to keep learning and that in the end, you mastered the course material.

If you don't have a job or a full-time activity yet, I would make aggressive use of summer courses to retake some classes. Retake some classes in the fall semester. If you have a local community college that offers short-semester courses (like 3-week Wintermester cram sessions), I would do those too.

I also want to reiterate that a lot of schools state a minimum GPA, but you should view that number with a grain of salt. For example, UT-Austin has a required minimum GPA of 2.5, but they will probably admit only 1-2 people with a GPA that low, and those students likely have extremely strong extracurricular activities, pharmacy experience, and community involvement.

Ultimately, your ability to get into a school will be the amalgamation of several factors. Your GPA and PCAT scores are in the limelight because they are very important when evaluating your chances of getting into a pharmacy school. However, other factors like community service, previous experience in a pharmacy environment, and certain "x-factors" that cannot be measured quantitatively will undoubtedly help you. If you are strong in these other fields and they have truly shaped your growth as an individual, then these factors will make it so that you can get in despite being below the average.

Keep in mind, though, that you are paddling upstream in any case, and your greatest concern right now is your GPA.

--Garfield3d

17. AceofSpades85

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    thanks for the advice guys but i have a few more questions. instead of re-taking some classes just to bring my gpa up (which will be hard to do becuase I have a lot of credits), would it be a good idea to do a research program or study abroad and volunteer;which would than diversify my resume and show the schools that I did something different than just re-take classes after I graduated?? also, since I received a degree in Nutrition, would those nutrition classes count towards my S/M gpa?? because if it did, than my gpa would be around 2.8 (still not high enough but better than 2.6). thanks

18. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Your best bet right now would be to try and re-take some of those pre-reqs you made a C in and make an A in them. Your GPA may go up faster than you think. Research and volunteering are great, but if your GPA is barely above the minimum, they won't matter much IMO.

19. pkp

pkp
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    does anyone know which schools completely replace your grade if you retake a course? Most of the ones I have contacted such as Pacific in Oregon and Hawaii do not whereas Western University does do a grade replacement.

20. OrllY

OrllY Awesome
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    believe it or not but i got in with a gpa around yours, my math and science was higher and i was making A's in advance chemistry classes though, dunno if they looked at that...
    its good you are working on your applications early, i waited til the last second and this hurt my chances of getting in for a place, but def do better on the pcat.

21. bklyngirl

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Not that easy - I applied for second year with 3.2 GPA. Science GPA 3.3 (but with grade replacement, which they do, for 2 courses - 3.6) and was denied within a week. Cashed the check even quicker! Although I did apply really late as admissions claimed seats were still available and I had a good shot because they only looked at higher grade for repeated classes.
    You probably need a really high GPA even for 1st or 2nd year transfer spots. My advice - save the $75.00 app fee and use it somewhere else - unless you apply asap to have a chance.