good sgpa, low ogpa good dental score, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental deezle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am freaking out, because I have read a lot of posts on this forum about having a low gpa being very bad.. This is my situation. I have done very will in my science classes, I have an overall 3.5-3.6 SG.P.A, and an overall GPA of 3.04. this is due to my terrible knowledge in math, and me literally doing TERRIBLE a semester that did not contain any science classes. I am very good at science, I have aced micro, A and P and a lot of my bio classes, Chemistry has been from the B to B+ range.

With a DAT score of a 20 +
a Science GPA of a 3.5+
but a low overall gpa of a 3.04, what are my odds of getting into dental school?

my extracurricular activities are very good, I am in a research lab, I am president of an organization that is rebuilding homes and building ramps for disabled and low income home owners in Detroit, I have rebuild about 3 homes and 2 ramps. I have also shadowed a periodontists who is a Dental school professor and he wrote me an amazing letter of recommendation.

also let me add, the low gpa was during my first year of college, not really knowing or taking school serious, since then I have gotten 3.6+ in multiple semesters.

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you taken your DAT yet? Or are you assuming you'll score 20+? And it seems that schools regard sGPA>oGPA

Have you taken your DAT yet? Or are you assuming you'll score 20+? And it seems that schools regard sGPA>oGPA
Im assuming that I will. So what would do you think? are my odds still in my favor?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're in OK shape. Crush the DAT (or do as well as you possibly can), apply broadly, and try to acquire interesting activities and involvement to talk about in interviews. Good luck!

You're in OK shape. Crush the DAT (or do as well as you possibly can), apply broadly, and try to acquire interesting activities and involvement to talk about in interviews. Good luck!
I am president of an organization that is rebuilding homes from disabled people and low income families in the city of detroit, I recently built a ramp for an MS patient who could not leave his home and for another patient, I expect to do 10 more projects by the time I apply, how does that sound? Also doing research and shadowed a dentist.

I am president of an organization that is rebuilding homes from disabled people and low income families in the city of detroit, I recently built a ramp for an MS patient who could not leave his home and for another patient, I expect to do 10 more projects by the time I apply, how does that sound? Also doing research and shadowed a dentist.

I think you know how that sounds. Great work! Read some breakdowns on here, formulate a plan, crush the DAT. Apply early. Your GPA's are fine.

^^^ all of that

And craft a baller personal statement

Reactions: 1 user
I was pretty much in the same situation where my overall gpa was not that great (3.2-3.3), but my science gpa was about a 3.7....I knew to be considered by schools I would have to do really well on the DAT. I think you need to do really well...probably at least a 21 ,just because there are going to be some schools that look at that overall gpa and then see someone else's gpa that is closer to a 4 and just dismiss your application...I think that happened to me from a couple of schools. Definitely doable though...study for that DAT and CRUSH it!!! Good luck!

I was pretty much in the same situation where my overall gpa was not that great (3.2-3.3), but my science gpa was about a 3.7....I knew to be considered by schools I would have to do really well on the DAT. I think you need to do really well...probably at least a 21 ,just because there are going to be some schools that look at that overall gpa and then see someone else's gpa that is closer to a 4 and just dismiss your application...I think that happened to me from a couple of schools. Definitely doable though...study for that DAT and CRUSH it!!! Good luck!
how did it go if you don't mind me asking? did you get into dental school?

For me, I have a VERY low sGPA, a below average oGPA, and managed to get an acceptance at my state school.
I definitely had an all-around application though. Shadowed a ton, volunteered a lot, part of organizations, etc.

I did get a 20 on my DAT too.

And my personal statement was (IMO) pretty amazing. Haha. Like I feel it could have definitely played a role for snagging an interview

I think you definitely have a shot at it. Just try to ace your DAT!

For me, I have a VERY low sGPA, a below average oGPA, and managed to get an acceptance at my state school.
I definitely had an all-around application though. Shadowed a ton, volunteered a lot, part of organizations, etc.

I did get a 20 on my DAT too.

And my personal statement was (IMO) pretty amazing. Haha. Like I feel it could have definitely played a role for snagging an interview

I think you definitely have a shot at it. Just try to ace your DAT!
Yea I'm president of an organization and have a lot of extracurriculars to put on my resume.. I have a awesome letter of rec from a dental school professor as well that I shadowed all summer. but that honestly makes me feel a bit better haha thanks!