Good site to look up salaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psycholytic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone please post some good quality sites that will give me an idea of what salary to expect when I graduate from a clinical / health psych PhD program?

Thanks

Oh, by the way, APA's salary link is absolutely useless, since it is 7 years old and so much has changed. At least, that's what I think.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

the Occupational Outlook Handbook by the U.S. Dept of Labor would be a good place to look. It can be found at http://www.bls.gov/oco/

Psychology/Clinical Psychologists can be found at http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos056.htm

...But there may be sites with amounts more relevant to individual areas within psychology... the figures on the OOH always seem a bit (as in really) low to me...

Because many postings and websites such as dept. of labor only provide a national average, which sometimes is not representative at all, I searched , and searched, and............tonight I found some very valuable info that lets me feel better about my soon to be accumulated loans.

At least for the area where I live, it does not look that bad.

For anyone interested and living in California, L.A. area:

http://www.calmis.ca.gov/file/occup$/oeswages/LA$oes.xls

I guess one can do this for every State and get more accurate numbers?

Good luck;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. everyone. It's quite helpful. That said, I'm shocked at the average salary-$76K is lower than I expected for NYC. Some have mentioned that becoming a consultant is where the $ lies. Are you guys familiar with any of those stats, or how one would even venture into that field to augment their clinical work?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. everyone. It's quite helpful. That said, I'm shocked at the average salary-$76K is lower than I expected for NYC. Some have mentioned that becoming a consultant is where the $ lies. Are you guys familiar with any of those stats, or how one would even venture into that field to augment their clinical work?

Thanks!

SHHH!!!

Consulting is boring and bad money. ;)

I think $ depends on being able to define your area, and properly market it (meet a need or create a need to meet). I plan on doing most of my work in the consulting area, but it has more to do with understanding your core skill sets, and how to make them marketable to companies (Businesses/Private Sector almost always pays better than academia). I'm going to focus on corp mediation, exec coaching, and practice development and consulting.

-t

This has been a particular concern for me lately, and I would like to discuss it on this forum. I have begun to doubt whether full loans to a PsyD program would be economically sound (yet at this point in the application process, these are my only options for this fall), so I would appreciate feedback. I have looked over the following web site's information which has been cited several times as a reason that PsyD's are bad investments, but I am skeptical.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos056.htm

My problem with this web site is that they do not clearly operationalize their definition of a psychologist. The "Job Outlook" section breaks it down all the way to the bachelor's level. It does not compare the relative number of PhD's, PsyD's, MA's, etc, yet lumps all "clinical psychologists" together into the same ranges of salaries. Obviously if we lumped BA's in with PhD's, then these ranges would be negatively skewed even further, but it remains unclear the extent to which masters level degrees differ from the salaries of doctoral degrees.

Is there existing data that compares salaries of doctoral level clinical psychologists?

I think the best place to look for salaries is current job listings on the internet. I usually see salaries at 40-65k after 2 years of licensed work experience.

If you factor in $100k+ loan repayments, I'm not sure that makes it economically viable. Use the search function on SDN forums, I believe there was a PsyD poster here that had his accountant calculate that going back to med school would be cheaper than paying back his PsyD loans on a psychologist's salary (and so he did).

I don't remember how I found this, but I'm guessing it was during a course I took over summer last year. We had to do a LOT of stuff using different websites, and I bookmarked this one. I found it today as I was cleaning out my bookmarks. Anyway, as I said, I'm not sure how I got it. But it seems about right. It's only for California, though I'm sure there is a way to check other states.

https://access.bridges.com/choices/...F36F359A142D43B57E4105A4BF?inPlan=&id=1930312

Ok so the site I posted above definitely doesnt work without a login. Since it's been so long since I found that link, I have noooo clue what my login info is. Luckily, it does it automatically on my computer... but that doesn't help anyone else!! So I'm going to see what I can figure out and if all else fails, I'll post what it says. It's sad, it has a listing for like every big city in CA. I hate to keep y'all in suspense but I'll do it asap. Sorry :rolleyes:

Let's try this. I attached the file. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone else put an attachment here... so if this is something people don't really do, I'm sorry! There is WAY too much info to type out though. If you'd rather, I can email it to you... but it will still be an attachment. :cool: That's the best I can do.

Attachments

• ClinPsy_career_money_outlook.pdf
    79.9 KB · Views: 157