Good stats but barebones ECs for mid tier/D.O schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crank

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats are as follows: cum gpa 3.81, science gpa 3.83 MCAT 32Q (10PS 11VR 11BS)
BA in psychology at a CSU (state school in CA)

Clinical ECs:
150 hours volunteering at stanford hospital
60 hours shadowing nephrologist
30 hours shadowing orthodontist (Should this be mentioned)

Other:
Black belt in Taekwondo (7 years through sophomore year of College)
Worked as office assistant at nonprofit company for one summer (non-medically related)
3 months reading tutor for elementary school

What are my chances for mid-tier MD and DO schools (Nova, Western, Lecom) given my general lack of ECs (research, leadership)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd say you have a decent shot. The only thing holding you back is that you're in California.

Definitely a solid shot. I'd remove that premed association crap, though. That's so bogus filler that anyone can see it. Attending those meetings doesn't mean jack, really.

Members don't see this ad :)
^He's applying DO. I thought only MD was a disadvantage in Cali.

Definitely a solid shot. I'd remove that premed association crap, though. That's so bogus filler that anyone can see it. Attending those meetings doesn't mean jack, really.

Woot thats one less line on my already small list

I dunno, people say that DO schools care more about ECs than stats which is gunna kill you. I'm gunna be a little pessimistic here and say you should take a gap year and hit the ECs hard. Your stats are more in line with MD but I would consider your ECs unacceptable for both DO and MD

You can do a search for shadowing dentists to see if you want to mention it. It shows you've investigated other careers but I personally wouldn't mention it

Some ECs to consider:
Research
Nonclinical volunteering
Leadership
Shadowing a primary care physician

My stats are as follows: cum gpa 3.81, science gpa 3.83 MCAT 32Q (10PS 11VR 11BS)

Clinical ECs:

Other:
Worked as office assistant at nonprofit company for one summer (non-medically related)

What are my chances for mid-tier MD and DO schools (Nova, Western, Lecom) given my general lack of ECs (research, leadership)?
What was the timeframe for the hospital volunteering?

When did you decide to go preMed, rather than preDent?

If you apply this coming season, I suggest you continue to engage in or develop ECs during the application year and let schools know about them via update letters (where permitted) to give yourself a better chance at not repeating the application process.

Hospital volunteering timeframe is about 9 months
I shadowed the dentist sophomore year and the nephrologist third year

1) Hospital volunteering timeframe is about 9 months
2) I shadowed the dentist sophomore year and the nephrologist third year
1) The hours are good but the duration well below average right now (1.5 years). Keep it up, as adcomms are looking for a prolonged period of testing medicine as a career.

2) Mentioning dental shadowing won't help, but won't hurt either. Listing 60 hours is good, but some more variety would be nice to see: maybe two more docs for 4 hours each?

Some ECs to consider:
Research
Nonclinical volunteering
Leadership
Shadowing a primary care physician
I agree with sector9's list for further EC development.

Chances = excellent. Your ECs are fine, so don't fuss.

Clinical ECs:

Other: