Good step I = hold off on step II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Back34

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My apologies if you've already seen this. It was on another forum and didn't get too many responses.

Anyway, I wound up with a 224 on step I and am debating whether I take the step II beast before being ranked by ER programs. I posed the same question to my advisors and they agreed that putting it off until after the candidate rank list might be a good idea, given that the score was solid and there's little to gain with a higher step II and lots to lose with a lower one. It ordinarily wouldn't be that big of a deal, but for reasons beyond my control I literally have zero time to study for it.

Just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on my limited understanding of the situation, there's a window of time (aug-sept?) where u can take step II, receive your score, and then decide to release it or not. If you're happy with your score u can update your applications so that residency programs can have access to it. If youre not happy with your score, you dont release it at that point.