good summer research opps in NYC!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitown82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,

i was wondering if anyone knew of any good labs or research programs/fellowships in new york city that is willing to let med students do summer research (after m1 year). i really open to all basic or clincial science areas and hope to get a publication (or at least an abstrat/poster presentation). a stipend (amount doesn't really matter) would be good as well.

i know there many opportunities at all the big schools in nyc (cornell, columbia, nyu, siani, etc) but if anyone has had any particularly good experience, i would love to hear. im not from the area, so im not sure where to start looking. (you can PM me with specific info)

i have a solid basic science research background (publications, poster presentations) if that helps....

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

bump....anyone? im sure some new yorkers did research last year....

The NY Academy of Medicine has fellowships, and MSKCC has an amazing program (with a 5% acceptance rate). What you should do is email around, find a good mentor, and apply for outside funding - there's lots of it.

I did this for last summer, applied to Parkinson's Disease Foundation, American Academy of Neurology, and I missed the APDA but it was another option. And, ask the PI if he/she will fund you directly in case you don't get outside funds. Also, if you're willing to go to NJ, RWJMS has some fabulous labs, though our summer fellowships are only for RWJMS students.

Members don't see this ad :)
good stuff, thanks for the info. anyone else know of any good PIs in nyc?

Cancer Research at Memorial Sloan-Kettering. Didn't do it personally, but have a friend who really had a wonderful experience as well as got a publication for his work.

The MSK program is the only structured fellowship I've found offered in NYC. I certainly plan on applying. But it looks massively competitive.