Good textbook for cardiac cath/interv cardio for a surgical resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstart108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a CT surgery junior resident doing a 1 month cath rotation in a few months. I was wondering if there was a good handbook in interv cardio that you would recommend? I'm looking for something that ideally would provide me with what I need to know as a surgeon, something that is easy to read from cover to cover and covers the basics and fundamentals without going into too many details or being overly complex. My learning goals for the rotation are to be able to read coronary angiograms, identify factors that go into the PCI vs CABG decision from the cardiologist's standpoint and perform diagnostic angios comfortably. I'm going to be at a rural center that does PCI and STEMI covering a large area but no TAVR. As an example, I read fogoros cover to cover for my pacemaker/EP rotation and really liked the format.

I'm looking at Kern's right now, does that sound about right?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a CT surgery junior resident doing a 1 month cath rotation in a few months. I was wondering if there was a good handbook in interv cardio that you would recommend? I'm looking for something that ideally would provide me with what I need to know as a surgeon, something that is easy to read from cover to cover and covers the basics and fundamentals without going into too many details or being overly complex. My learning goals for the rotation are to be able to read coronary angiograms, identify factors that go into the PCI vs CABG decision from the cardiologist's standpoint and perform diagnostic angios comfortably. I'm going to be at a rural center that does PCI and STEMI covering a large area but no TAVR. As an example, I read fogoros cover to cover for my pacemaker/EP rotation and really liked the format.

I'm looking at Kern's right now, does that sound about right?

Yes Kern’s is your best bet.