Good textbooks and flashcards for STEP1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

equilibr8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the following books to prepare for Step 1 so far:

1) First Aid, 2011
2) Clinical micro made ridiculously simple
3) High Yield Neuroanatomy
4) BRS Physiology
5) BRS Pathology
6) Microcards
7) Lange Biochemistry and Genetics flashcards
8) BRS Pharmacology flashcards

Apart from these, would you recommend getting any other textbooks (minus the prep books and questions). I'm primarily interested in finding out about good textbooks and flashcards.

Members don't see this ad.

I have the following books to prepare for Step 1 so far:

1) First Aid, 2011
2) Clinical micro made ridiculously simple
3) High Yield Neuroanatomy
4) BRS Physiology
5) BRS Pathology
6) Microcards
7) Lange Biochemistry and Genetics flashcards
8) BRS Pharmacology flashcards

Apart from these, would you recommend getting any other textbooks (minus the prep books and questions). I'm primarily interested in finding out about good textbooks and flashcards.

You should check the link under useful websites for med students (something like that) that is stickied at the top of this forum. They list a couple flash card websites, one being flashcardexchange or something like that. There's also iirc, a couple posters at the end of that thread that either have a link in their post or their signature that mentions a website that reviews all the books and has recommendations of some of the better ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rapid Review Pathology by Goljan, or Pathoma ... either one. Other than that you should be good to go.

If you have time to read most of those I'll be amazed.

I used First Aid, Goljan audio (didn't have time to read his path book) and USMLE World and did fine.

I spent hours searching the forum and reading different reviews to come up this list.

First Aid
Anatomy: HY Gross Anatomy
Embryology: Hy Embryology
Physiology: BRS Physiology
Microbiology: CMMR
Neuroscience: HY Neuroanatomy
Pathology: Goljan Rapid Review
Pharmacology: Lange Flashcards
Biochemistry: Lippincott or Rapid Review

In terms of Pathoma it seems to be the latest craze. Its also really cheap. My only problem is that they only have the one year option. They should have included a one month option for 25 dollars for people who just want to use it to study for the USMLE.

I say FA and USMLEWorld will get you a good score. Instead of books I would add USMLERx and Kaplan Qbank also. That's what I did and got above my goal. I only had 2 easy embryo questions, and the pharm section was easy (couple questions where 4 drugs had the same suffix pick the odd man out kinda thing). Try not to spread yourself too thin with too many resources. I bought RR goljan and read it but other than that, bought a couple BRS, HY, micro and pharm books and didn't touch any of them and it didn't hurt me one bit

I have most of the review books on PDF but they are older editions (except for First Aid which I bought the new edition). Does anyone see any problems with having PDF versions vs.books or with using older editions?

Has anyone used Snell's clinical anatomy. I need your reviews on this book