Good under grad colleges around new england?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rcasey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a junior in high school and Im am looking around at colleges. I live in southern NH, so a college within 200 miles or so would be nice. :) But if there is one a little farther I am willing to do whatever it takes. I am not an Ivy league type but science has alway been my strong point through out school. I was thinking osteopathic. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a college thats not to hard to get into that will be good when it comes time to applying to med school. So far UNH has stuck out on me for some reaon but I don't know if it is a good enough school for med schools to look at me. Thanks alot for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Nate said:
UNE has an undergrad and that would probably be an advantage for applying to their medical school later on.
Thanks, actually I was thinking about that, but the only drawback is that I asked the admisions director what percent of premed students advance on to med schools and I remember him saying him say something like 1%. I could be wrong but I believe thats what he said. Also would they favor me a little more in getting into UNECOM if I went to their UNE undergrad school? The only thing to this is if for some reason I didn't get into there med school, I don't know if I would be able to get in anywhere else. Another possibility that I was thinking was, if instead of going to a prestigious college right away, maybe I could go to a decent one, then after my first year transfer to the one I want. I heard it is easier to get into most colleges if you transfer as long as you do well in the first year of college. They don't see your high school grades. I hope you can understand what I am saying, again I thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as the school is accredited, you'll be fine.

The days of a school's undergrad prestige actually being important are far behind us.

agree with the above poster on prestige. Your GPA and MCAT are the most important part of your application by far.

http://www.une.edu/com/admissions/faq.asp#1

Students come to UNECOM from around the country and the world, but the majority are from New England (approximately 60 percent) and the northeast states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York (up to 20 percent).

In keeping with the mission of the institution, generally 60 percent of the accepted class is from New England. There are many students from California, Colorado, Florida, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York.

UNECOM has some 3+4 programs:
http://www.une.edu/com/admissions/programs.asp

I went to Clarkson U way upstate in Potsdam NY,, Its a good school heavy on science and engineering. You have a good shot at getting in w/ a 1100+ SAT. strong math skills and a 90ish overall Avg. The Premed program there is very small but also quite strong.

As for UNH, its definately a good enough undergrad school to get you into med school. Just be careful b/c from the few times ive partied there it seems like a wild and laid back place that i would have had a difficult time sudying in. School is what you make of it though.

I have SAT's tomorrow but I have taken a prep class and the grades I have gotten on the practice tests are higher than 1100, thankfully. The problem is, I got to a college prep school which really prepares you for college but it is harder for me to get a high GPA after coming out of a public middle school.

Bates is a great small liberal arts college. Forget UConn unless you are a super duper frat dude who likes to party in the middle of nowhere.

You should take a look at Brandeis University...it is located outside of boston...although a research "university" its still small and humble enough not to get lost. Sciences are top notch and it has been known as a medical school feeder in the past (although probably not osteopathic)....www.brandeis.edu

care

Sundarban1 said:
Bates is a great small liberal arts college. Forget UConn unless you are a super duper frat dude who likes to party in the middle of nowhere.
:thumbdown: I bet you know nothing about the school

I guess you're just not super duper enough :laugh:

rcasey said:
I have SAT's tomorrow but I have taken a prep class and the grades I have gotten on the practice tests are higher than 1100, thankfully. The problem is, I got to a college prep school which really prepares you for college but it is harder for me to get a high GPA after coming out of a public middle school.
1100 on the old scale.

yeah i did mean 1100 on the old scale....

Members don't see this ad :)
Mike2010 said:
yeah i did mean 1100 on the old scale....

Hi...I'm assuming you're in 11th grade right now. Right?? If so, you should think about considering 3+4 (BS/DO) guaranteed programs....there are several programs like this, and it could save you time, money, and stress.
There are threads discussing this issues. I know Western-COMP in California has such a program with Pitzer College...and it sounds great...students do first three yrs at Pitzer and then 4 yrs at COMP...it's guaranteed admission provided they meet up with the minimal GPA, MCAT score, and extracurricular requirements. But of course, you have to be pretty sure that you want to go into osteopathic medicine early. I kinda wish I had known about these programs....it would have saved me a LOT of pre-med stress!

Marist College has a 3+4 BS/DO program with NYCOM. I'm extremely happy with the faculty and science program in general. They boast something like an 86% acceptance rate into MD/DO school. Although, I question some of the workings behind that.

DRKUBA said:
:thumbdown: I bet you know nothing about the school

I guess you're just not super duper enough :laugh:

Actually I'm from CT, was accepted to UConn, had many friends at UConn. Its full of ivy rejects and rich kids who would rather drink than study. The campus is not conducive to learning at all and to call it one of the best schools in the Northeast is an insult to the Northeast. If you are a serious student you would not be caught dead on that campus.

rcasey said:
Hi I am a junior in high school and Im am looking around at colleges. I live in southern NH, so a college within 200 miles or so would be nice. :) But if there is one a little farther I am willing to do whatever it takes. I am not an Ivy league type but science has alway been my strong point through out school. I was thinking osteopathic. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a college thats not to hard to get into that will be good when it comes time to applying to med school. So far UNH has stuck out on me for some reaon but I don't know if it is a good enough school for med schools to look at me. Thanks alot for the help.

I don't know if you'd be interested at all, but I attended Gordon College on the north shore of Boston (Wenham) and had a great pre-med experience. It is a Christian liberal arts college that has a fairly strong pre-med program that is about to add on a brand new 80k sq foot science center (which should be in place just in time for your freshman year). We usually have about 5-8 seniors apply to med school each year and almost everyone gets in the first time. It is small (<2,000 students) so you get to know the profs VERY well and you have a million opportunities to do research, be a teaching assistant, etc. We always place at least one person at UNECOM but there were students in my class that went to U Washington, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, UMass.

I considered UNH, Plymouth State, and St. Anselm's but I didn't want the big party atmosphere, so Gordon was a great fit. They don't have enormous SAT and GPA standards to get in, but you will definitely work your a$$ off to do well there. It is about an hour from Manchester, NH and 25 min from Boston, so you can get to anything in no time. But I agree with the above posters, no med school will shut you out simply based on where you did your undergrad so go where you truly want to go and enjoy it! :thumbup:

thankyou every one for all of your help, I am a junior for those who have asked. I have looked at brandeis but the chances of me getting in are nearly impossible. I am still looking around though and again I thank you all for all the help.

Hey, I did a google search and found a few BS/DO programs...I know there r more out there though...GOOD LUCK!

Florida International University and NSUCOM
http://www.fiu.edu/~biology/under/seven.html

New York Institute of Technology
http://www.nyit.edu/academics/

Pitzer College and Western-COMP
http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/joint_programs/home.xml

University of North Texas Health Science Center and Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/sevenyearprogram.cfm

University of the Sciences in Philadelphia and PCOM
http://www.usip.edu/chemistry/curric/premed.asp

bluerose786 said:
Hey, I did a google search and found a few BS/DO programs...I know there r more out there though...GOOD LUCK!

Florida International University and NSUCOM
http://www.fiu.edu/~biology/under/seven.html

New York Institute of Technology
http://www.nyit.edu/academics/

Pitzer College and Western-COMP
http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/joint_programs/home.xml

University of North Texas Health Science Center and Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/sevenyearprogram.cfm

University of the Sciences in Philadelphia and PCOM
http://www.usip.edu/chemistry/curric/premed.asp

And as HuntererGather stated, UNECOM as well (http://www.une.edu/com/admissions/programs.asp).

Northeastern University, Umass Boston/Amherst/ Dartmouth/Lowell, and Williams College are relatively well regarded institutions. For someone in your position, you may want to take a look at these.

Also, dont forget to aim high when college apps come around, you never know what the drag net might pull in. The admissions complex for undergrad is complex so make sure you apply to a few "reach" schools as well when the time comes.

GL.

rcasey said:
thankyou every one for all of your help, I am a junior for those who have asked. I have looked at brandeis but the chances of me getting in are nearly impossible. I am still looking around though and again I thank you all for all the help.

Bates is a good choice, they like people from new hampshire and the SAT is optional there. They really like people from bates at UNE too.

Sundarban1 said:
Actually I'm from CT, was accepted to UConn, had many friends at UConn. Its full of ivy rejects and rich kids who would rather drink than study. The campus is not conducive to learning at all and to call it one of the best schools in the Northeast is an insult to the Northeast. If you are a serious student you would not be caught dead on that campus.

Dont want to start a full fledged fight, but as you can tell I really like Uconn and think it is a great school. My brother and I both chose UConn over IVY League schools ( me: Cornell, brother: Duke, Berkeley, and UPenn.) Granted we got scolarships, but I am VERY happy about my choice) I would certainly recommend this school to the OP. It has no DO-program affiliation, but it will provide you with a solid education, especially in the sciences.

DRKUBA said:
Dont want to start a full fledged fight, but as you can tell I really like Uconn and think it is a great school. My brother and I both chose UConn over IVY League schools ( me: Cornell, brother: Duke, Berkeley, and UPenn.) Granted we got scolarships, but I am VERY happy about my choice) I would certainly recommend this school to the OP. It has no DO-program affiliation, but it will provide you with a solid education, especially in the sciences.

All undergrad schools listed are good, including UConn. Your education is really only what you make of it. If you decide to party excessively and waste the opportunity, you lose out in your education. So, bottom line, where you get your education is not as important as your motivation. Now with that being said, if you get an online degree from one of the questionable programs, don't expect to be taken seriously.

Wook

Careofme said:
You should take a look at Brandeis University...it is located outside of boston...although a research "university" its still small and humble enough not to get lost. Sciences are top notch and it has been known as a medical school feeder in the past (although probably not osteopathic)....www.brandeis.edu

care
:thumbup: Go Brandeis...sorry I went there. They have a great new head premed advisor and a premed board focuses on your strengths. The school is relatively small ~3000 students, so you get a good sense of community. There are lots of clubs and you have many opportunities to start your own club (I did). The SAT scores are ~1300. I chose Brandeis over Tufts because they gave me an academic scholarship. :)

Bates, Bowdoin, Tufts, BC are also good choices. However, your uGPA and MCAT scores are what truly matter. I felt as though my undergrad institution prepared me for my MCAT though.

Careofme said:
Northeastern University, Umass Boston/Amherst/ Dartmouth/Lowell, and Williams College are relatively well regarded institutions. For someone in your position, you may want to take a look at these.

Also, dont forget to aim high when college apps come around, you never know what the drag net might pull in. The admissions complex for undergrad is complex so make sure you apply to a few "reach" schools as well when the time comes.

GL.
Northeastern University has gotten better over the years, but they have a new premed advisor since the other one passed away unexpectedly. Although its a big university only a dozen or so individuals matriculated into medical school. A lot of the premeds there change majors by the beginning of sophomore year. The Co-Op program is stellar though.

Careofme said:

care
Forgot to mention, Brandeis has a good track record for getting premeds into Osteopathic medical schools also. Good stats.

Amherst is the sh#t! if you can get in, that is...

So who is the new Premed advisor at Brandeis? I sure hope he/she is a lot better than the previous waste they had in that position. I really loved Brandeis and highly rec. to anyone interested in pre-med at a smaller university with a true college-like feel.

Careofme said:
So who is the new Premed advisor at Brandeis? I sure hope he/she is a lot better than the previous waste they had in that position. I really loved Brandeis and highly rec. to anyone interested in pre-med at a smaller university with a true college-like feel.
Kate Fukawa-Connelly. Dean Simmons went to Brown...sorry Brown ;) and Jennifer Lewis left also. A true shame. However, Kate is great and really supportive.

I echo your love for Brandeis. It can get pretty competitive and the upper level bio courses are nothing to joke about. I visited last week and the leaves and flowers are coming out. And guess what, we have our very own castle... By the way Careofme, there are new dorms.

well Brandeis is certainly a reach school for me. If it is a 1300 SAT on the new scale, I know I have at least that. But my GPA will hold me down. But UCONN is pretty defiantly consderable I guess I'll have to check that one out. Thansk for all the help everyone :) Also if I couln't get into these top notch premed schools like brandeis, would I have a chance of getting in if I transfered after my freshman year? And did well of course.

i found harvard to be decent, and i had friends who enjoyed cornell, amherst, northeastern and BU. if you're a woman, look into smith, mt. holyoke and wellesley. i grew up 20 min from UConn and it's middling at best, and really expensive, and i'd say go UMass or UVM instead if you're looking state school-ward. also, look into wesleyan in hartford. good little liberal arts school with good sciences, too.

rcasey said:
well Brandeis is certainly a reach school for me. If it is a 1300 SAT on the new scale, I know I have at least that. But my GPA will hold me down. But UCONN is pretty defiantly consderable I guess I'll have to check that one out. Thansk for all the help everyone :) Also if I couln't get into these top notch premed schools like brandeis, would I have a chance of getting in if I transfered after my freshman year? And did well of course.
1300 old SATs. I'm not sure what it is using the new scale. I'm pretty sure its in the middle 1800s at least. What I found really peculiar was that Brandeis' incoming class had a GPA of 3.9. I found this to be really high since my GPA was not that high. I'd guess its a 3.6 GPA average.

You'll have a chance applying to Brandeis as a transfer student. They accept about 50 transfer students throughout the year. I applied to Tufts and Brandeis as a transfer student. Brandeis gave me more grant money. More than my previous institution.

Noonday found Harvard to be decent :)

Truthfully, the Ugrad institution doesn't matter in the long run. You just have to show excellence in different areas: academics, ECs including leadership, and good MCAT scores. You can do that "everywhere."

From what you've indicated, I think Noonday's suggestion of Smith and Mt. Holyoke would be good options. BU is really expensive and I'm not particularly fond of them ;) Wesleyan is a top notch school, but has stats comparable to Brandeis.

Look at US News reports for college rankings and look at their stats. Good luck.

Thankyou every one, very much for all of your imput, I am still looking around and still confused ;) I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks

rcasey said:
Thankyou every one, very much for all of your imput, I am still looking around and still confused ;) I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks
Not a problem. Its best to ask questions while we're not head first into applications.

As it has been said time and again, what you do in undergrad is much more important than where you go to school. There are many great schools in New England, but you really have to decide what type of school you would be happiest attending. Visit the schools you are interested in and see how you feel.
Of course, attending a school with great sciences and strong pre-med advisors is important. We all know, however, that you can't always count on advisors to guide you well nor even great science programs to put you on the right track for med school.
Make sure you get volunteer/ shadowing experience (esp with a DO if that is the route you would like to pursue). Also, make sure you study what makes you happiest in undergrad, you need to get in your pre-reqs (and you already mentioned you love science), but a major in science is not a necessity- and academic/life experience diversity is welcome and a great topic for future interviews :thumbup:
Anyway, just make sure you go to a place that suits your needs, both academically and non. Do well, and get plenty of medical/research experience. The 3+4 programs are great...esp when you don't have to take the MCAT :). But really go where you'll be happiest, that (in my own opinion, as I am about to start med school in August) is what is/was most important.

Good luck :luck:

soccer16 said:
As it has been said time and again, what you do in undergrad is much more important than where you go to school. There are many great schools in New England, but you really have to decide what type of school you would be happiest attending. Visit the schools you are interested in and see how you feel.
Of course, attending a school with great sciences and strong pre-med advisors is important. We all know, however, that you can't always count on advisors to guide you well nor even great science programs to put you on the right track for med school.
Make sure you get volunteer/ shadowing experience (esp with a DO if that is the route you would like to pursue). Also, make sure you study what makes you happiest in undergrad, you need to get in your pre-reqs (and you already mentioned you love science), but a major in science is not a necessity- and academic/life experience diversity is welcome and a great topic for future interviews :thumbup:
Anyway, just make sure you go to a place that suits your needs, both academically and non. Do well, and get plenty of medical/research experience. The 3+4 programs are great...esp when you don't have to take the MCAT :). But really go where you'll be happiest, that (in my own opinion, as I am about to start med school in August) is what is/was most important.

Good luck :luck:
Thanks alot for all this information I really appreciate it, also I have a question that I would like for you to answer honestly. If I'm not an honors type throughout high school, does that mean that later in college I won't beable to survive in the medical field and not be able to get into medical school. When ever I hear of medical school I always here that only "smart kids" make it into medical school. I'm just afraid I'm going to do all this research and then later on find out that I am not going to be able to get into a med school. This does not mean I am not oing to work my butt off in college to get good grades. Also I was sorting through the brochures of colleges and I found these colleges/universities. I was wondering if any of you can eliminate some right off the bat or tell me ones that stick out to make it a little less confusing, thank you very much and here they are.
Westfield State College
Umass Lowell
Umass Amherst
University of Vermont
University of New Hampshire
Quinnapiac
Western New England college
University of New england
Hampshire College
UCONN
Franklin Pierce
St. Anslem
Penn State
Clark university
american international college

Again thank you for all of your help.

rcasey said:
Thanks alot for all this information I really appreciate it, also I have a question that I would like for you to answer honestly. If I'm not an honors type throughout high school, does that mean that later in college I won't beable to survive in the medical field and not be able to get into medical school. When ever I hear of medical school I always here that only "smart kids" make it into medical school. I'm just afraid I'm going to do all this research and then later on find out that I am not going to be able to get into a med school. This does not mean I am not oing to work my butt off in college to get good grades. Also I was sorting through the brochures of colleges and I found these colleges/universities. I was wondering if any of you can eliminate some right off the bat or tell me ones that stick out to make it a little less confusing, thank you very much and here they are.
Westfield State College
Umass Lowell
Umass Amherst
University of Vermont
Quinnapiac
Hampshire College
UCONN
Franklin Pierce
St. Anslem
Penn State
Clark university

I'm from Massachusetts, so I can tell you about some of the MA schools. If I may ask, what's high school do you go to? What's your GPA and SAT scores?

I'm guessing that you want to stay in the new england area. Here's my assessment...

Keep:
UMass Amherst - good premed advising for a state school (many get into UMass Med)
UVM - has a med school too
UNH - good school
Qunnapiac - heard really good things
UNE - has a DO school
UCONN - good school, imo, better than Umass Amherst and has their own med school

Not advised:
Westfield State College - Not known to the med school world, not stellar teaching
UMass Lowell - I wouldn't go here if you can get into UMass Amherst

Not sure about:
Hampshire College
Franklin Pierce
St. Anslem
WEstern New England College

Think about adding:
Northeastern University
Boston University
University of Rhode Island

Hope this helps. Feel free to inquire further

I wouldn't go to Hampshire. They're good and all, but if you're serious about medschool their lack of grades is trouble...the ADCOMs just don't know what to make of the narrative grades. Sometimes conformity wins just 'cause it's easier...

rcasey said:
Westfield State College
Umass Lowell
Umass Amherst
University of Vermont
Quinnapiac
Hampshire College
UCONN
Franklin Pierce
St. Anslem
Penn State
Clark university

eliminate: western new england, franklin, st.anslem, aic, quinni, hampshire, umass lowell, westfield state. (depending on how much you're willing to spend).

UConn is a great choice with some excellent oppurtunities. However I'm not sure if I'd pay 30k+ as an out of state student. If you have excellent sat's and great ec's for medicine, I urge you to apply to the combined program in medicine which guarantees admission to UConn Med if you maintain a 3.5 and get a 28 on the mcats.

Have a cousin who goes to BU and a friend at UNH, both love their schools. BU is quite steep though.

I am a Franklin Alum. You will get a better science education there than UConn simply because the professors care about you the student. With the small class sizes you are not a number. Good luck.

I went to a huge public school and I regret it. I recommend a small private school where teachers care about your education more than their research.

):( said:
I went to a huge public school and I regret it. I recommend a small private school where teachers care about your education more than their research.

Exactly.

Sundarban1 said:
I went to a relatively small private college. I enjoyed it immensely. Not only did the professors have a vested interest on helping students, but since the class size wasn't huge, it made for a good sense of community.

I'm sorry your experience was not positive. I went to UMass Amherst and felt I got a great education. It allowed me to get exposure to a more diverse educational experience than would have happened at a small school.

Wook

wook said:
I'm sorry your experience was not positive. I went to UMass Amherst and felt I got a great education. It allowed me to get exposure to a more diverse educational experience than would have happened at a small school.

Wook
UMass Amherst isn't as bad as people say. As I said earlier above, UMass Amherst students matriculate to medical schools throughout the US, particularly UMass medical. So, :thumbup:

HemaOncoDoc said:
UMass Amherst isn't as bad as people say. As I said earlier above, UMass Amherst students matriculate to medical schools throughout the US, particularly UMass medical. So, :thumbup:

My school is good in the sense we have tons of research opportunities, the school offers 28 languages, and we have tons of opportunities to travel aboard. However, I don't like being in a class of 500 people where only a small amount of people know the professor. Premeds take all the introductory science classes and I think a smaller college would be better for that. Next quarter I will only have one 200 person class (a third quarter intro level science class), the others only have two to three other people in them (400 level language class and an honors science course). Smaller is better, you will get more individual attention.

My school is good in the sense we have tons of research opportunities, the school offers 28 languages, and we have tons of opportunities to travel aboard. However, I don't like being in a class of 500 people where only a small amount of people know the professor. Premeds take all the introductory science classes and I think a smaller college would be better for that. Next quarter I will only have one 200 person class (a third quarter intro level science class), the others only have two to three other people in them (400 level language class and an honors science course). Smaller is better, you will get more individual attention.
I started off in a bigger university. Although it was a bigger class, I got attention from the professor because I did well. I admit that when I transferred, I encountered smaller classes, but the schools with smaller premed classes are not usually ones that are known to have strong premed programs (unless they are upper level courses) I graduated from a university that only has around 3000 undergrads enrolled, relatively small, but there were tons of students in the sciences and many were premed.

I know there are exceptions, that's why I said "not usually."

Does any one have any oponions on Roger Williams University in Rhode Island??
Thanks again :)

rcasey said:
Does any one have any oponions on Roger Williams University in Rhode Island??
Thanks again :)
It gives you a good liberal arts education. I'm not sure about the strength of the sciences or the premed advising.