Good undergrad schools in TEXAS??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
baylorshannon said:
Honestly, I think it is easier to get into Baylor than some of the state schools, but I also think it's alot harder to stay there.

Some might attribute this to living in Waco ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Mateodaspy said:
I have no doubt that Baylor gives a decent education, though I'd be a little hesitant to head to a place like Waco and go to a school that so readily discriminates against gay and lesbian students. The heavy Baptist influence at the school is a major, major turn off in terms of both academic freedom and diversity.

It will be interesting to see which Baylor ends up emerging-- the BYU of baptists as the old president (who got ousted by the faculty) wanted or just another private school with religious roots but secular learning.

But hey, as long as Baylor University keeps making people think Baylor College of Medicine is a part of them and is located in Waco, all the better for us UT-Houston kids (at least people know where we are located! :p )

OSUdoc08 said:
You haven't been around many Texans have you?

Austin doesn't count.

Funny, because most people think Austin is the best city in Texas. Though Houston and San Antonio are pretty good too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh c'mon. Waco has it's upsides. I had quite a few gay friends, and all were happy with their choice to attend Baylor. Of course, there was that one that got kicked out of the seminary. He was nice, poor thing. As far as Baptist influence and academic freedom is concerned - I had an entire course that dealt with human evolution. Oh yes, it's true - Baylor teaches evolution. Can you imagine!!?? They also offer courses on world religions, evolutionary trends, physics, and all kinds of heretical ideas. Seriously though, the professors do a good job of keeping scholarly work, well - scholarly. Most of them don't bring God inside the classroom. Diversity is a whole separate issue...they're working on it. Hey OSUDoc - what's the girl:guy ratio these days? 60:40? ;)

Anyway, every school has it's pros and cons...you just have to find one that matches up to your priorities.

OSUdoc08 said:
You haven't been around many Texans have you?

Austin doesn't count.

I was born and raised here in Texas, as a matter fact. I've just tended to surround myself with intelligent people, so I haven't had to interact much with too many *****s. =)

Fantasy Sports said:
It will be interesting to see which Baylor ends up emerging-- the BYU of baptists as the old president (who got ousted by the faculty) wanted or just another private school with religious roots but secular learning.

I hope it's the latter. But that's just me and my liberal thinking. :cool:

I had quite a few gay friends, and all were happy with their choice to attend Baylor. Of course, there was that one that got kicked out of the seminary. He was nice, poor thing.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As far as Baptist influence and academic freedom is concerned - I had an entire course that dealt with human evolution. Oh yes, it's true - Baylor teaches evolution. Can you imagine!!?? They also offer courses on world religions, evolutionary trends, physics, and all kinds of heretical ideas.

Funny thing is, people actually have to clarify that those things are taught there. As opposed to just assuming they are (ie UT, Rice, etc)

But honestly, Texas needs more elite schools, and if Baylor's "dismissal" of its wacko president is any indication, at least its taking the right steps.

Yeah, hopefully they're on the right path.

Other good private schools in Texas include: TCU (Texas Christian/Fort Worth), SMU (Southern Methodist/Dallas), Southwestern (Georgetown - just north of Austin), Austin College, Trinity. If you're looking at a state school - I'd recommend UT over TAMU, and TAMU over Tech, and Tech over just about all the others.

Someone mentioned Trinity University earlier (in San Antonio). I attend Trinity, and it is definately less known than it should be. It's been ranked #1 in the west for undregrads with masters programs (U.S. news) for the past 13 years. In fact, it's done so well in the rankings, that they are moving Trinity up to be ranked against private schools such as Boston University and Emory. It's a small liberal arts and sciences college. Don't be fooled by its small class sizes, though. Just because there are few people in each class, Trinity holds a very competitive atmosphere. About 1/2 of the freshman entering Trinity come in wanting to be pre-med and attend allopathic schools. Because the sciences are taught by well-known nationally, many even internationally, distinguished professors (there are NO TA's teaching), only about 20 people end up actually applying to medical school because the filter classes are extremely difficult. You have to work very hard for your grades. I'm sure this is the way for many undergraduate institutions, however.

Our medical committee chair just went to a Texas medical college meeting last week. The deans from the Texas medical schools all recognize Trinity. They say that it is okay for Trinitonians to have a lower GPA because classes are rigorous, but they do expect our MCATS to be much higher than what they would normally see. Take that as you will.

Anyways, whatever undergrad your brother wants to attend, just make sure he is motivated enough to make the grade. That is what really matters :)

See, I would have said UT Austin, hands down, but then my friend found some "Physics" papers lying around there and... well, I gotta hang my head in shame for those "physics for poets" kids. *sigh*

http://www.livejournal.com/users/projectsw3igart/

But despite this evidence that seems to point to a failure of the "top 10%" rule of admissions (shudder), it's an amazing value and an indepth education.

EvoDevo said:
UT Houston doesn't have an undergrad campus. In Houston your best bet is the University of Houston.

I was waiting for this. The University of Houston sucks. It's a no-name school, first of all, and the classes are way too hard for a place that's ranked so low. My advice would be not to even apply to U of H.

I'm a UT Austin alumnus. I highly recommend UT Austin--it really is a hidden gem. If you choose your professors wisely, the education is just as good as the very best private schools in the Northeast. The girls are absolutely gorgeous. It's sunny 300 days out of the year. Best of all, Austin rocks! The live music scene in Austin is one of the best, if not the best, in the country. There are tons of really cool bars and good restaurants. God I miss that place.

Anyone who chooses Rice over UT Austin is making a mistake. The academics at Rice aren't significantly better, and Austin is a much better place for college students than Houston.

By the way, I'm at a top 10 medical school. So obviously UT Austin doesn't hinder you in any way from gaining admission to top medical schools.

Hook em' horns!

:horns: I just sat down with the UT Austin pre-med advisor and she showed me the numbers. On average 80% of UT-Austin grads with at least a 3.5 overall were accepted to medical school in each class over the last 5 years. This stat does not even include MCAT scores so I think it's safe to say UT Austin in a good bet. :D

Hook 'em Horns :horns:

Members don't see this ad :)
Fantasy Sports said:
Funny, because most people think Austin is the best city in Texas. Though Houston and San Antonio are pretty good too.

Actually Dallas is the best city.

Fantasy Sports said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, people actually have to clarify that those things are taught there. As opposed to just assuming they are (ie UT, Rice, etc)

But honestly, Texas needs more elite schools, and if Baylor's "dismissal" of its wacko president is any indication, at least its taking the right steps.

Baylor didn't dimiss the President. He became Chancellor, on his own regard.

OSUdoc08 said:
being gay shouldnt have anything to do with going to a certain school

that is stupid

No, you're an idiot because you don't see how a biggoted environment is pernicious to all people, not just those that are gay. And being gay does have something to do with going to a school if it is full of judgemental, idiotic religious zealouts. Oh, and further you're an idiot b/c of the fact that you say most Texans think as you do (they don't, and I am a native Texan as well). And Austin is clearly the best city in Texas, by any reasonable standard of the term.

Alexander Pink said:
No, you're an idiot because you don't see how a biggoted environment is pernicious to all people, not just those that are gay. And being gay does have something to do with going to a school if it is full of judgemental, idiotic religious zealouts. Oh, and further you're an idiot b/c of the fact that you say most Texans think as you do (they don't, and I am a native Texan as well). And Austin is clearly the best city in Texas, by any reasonable standard of the term.

Dallas: NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB

Austin: ?

By the sports standard, Austin fails.

OSUdoc08 said:
Dallas: NBA, NHL, NFL

Travis was the only "blue" major metropolitan county in Texas in last year's presidential election. Austin definitely wins by the non-hick standard.

OSUdoc08 said:
In case you forgot, the "Reds" won. That would mean the "Blues" are the losers.

Lest you forget that people are generally stupid and selfish -- that's the only reason the "reds" were able to steal the past two elections. Had we a more educated society like in Europe, I assure you that Bush would still be in his ranch in Crawford picking up brush (even though that's what he's still doing as commander-in-chief).

getunconcsious said:
I was waiting for this. The University of Houston sucks. It's a no-name school, first of all, and the classes are way too hard for a place that's ranked so low. My advice would be not to even apply to U of H.
I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience at UH. I went there, and while I agree that it doesn't have the same rep as UT-Austin or A&M, I have to say that I spent some of the best years of my life at UH. Yes, anyone having to do with anything administrative sucks, but I think that UH is a great school, just in different aspects. After graduation, I was above a lot of people from UT-Austin and A&M when it came to skills and scientific knowledge (in the working world). I thought my upper level science courses were great and the profs were really approachable. I do not feel shafted education-wise.

Undergrad is what you make of it and everyone has different experiences. I do not want to discount yours because everybody's situation is different, but I am saying it's really not all that bad. I think that the student population at UH is amazing. There are a lot of people who come from different worlds. Some are married with kids, some screwed up and are trying to start over... also, the diversity in culture, age, and experience really sets it apart from other places in the state, and, whether you choose to agree that this is a positive aspect, I always thought it was kind of cool that people could connect at UH and live totally separate lives outside of the campus (since it is a commuter campus).

I can truly say that I have matured into the person that I am now because I went there and interacted with people of so many different backgrounds. I do not regret choosing UH as my undergrad school.

OSUdoc08 said:
Actually Dallas is the best city.

Well, I guess Dallas IS more like Oklahoma than any other city in TX, so no wonder you like it so much.

For the rest of us, Austin or Houston or even San Antonio is where its at.

OSUdoc08 said:
Dallas: NBA, NHL, NFL

Dallas hardly has an NFL team nowadays, though the Mavs are good.

Austin is a college town-- and it's a great one at that. College towns don't have pro sports generally, or they wouldn't be college towns.

Honestly, if you don't think Austin is a better city than Dallas, no WONDER you chose to move up to Oklahoma. Austin is about as anti-Oklahoma as you can get (in addition to the football rivalry), while Dallas is much more like OK in build and character.

To each his own I guess...

OSUdoc08 said:
By the rest of us, you mean the 2 radical democrats on this board?

Tulsa is a good place.

Haha Tulsa is a good place. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Obviously we have a different worldview then. I mean, if you prefer Oklahoma to Texas, Tulsa to Austin. Honestly, we're not even on the same page here...

I mean, next you're going to say California doesn't hold a candle to Arkansas...

OSUdoc08 said:
You may think that everyone agrees with you about the Democratic ideals, and that the "idiot" Republicans are the minority. Keep in mind, that we make up the majority of the nation.

Move to Canada if you have a problem with that. (Or Europe if you prefer.)

You can talk on here all you want about Democratic ideals, but it will continue to be the minority of physicians and the patient population.

Just wait until all the old people die out, then you'll be stuck with a generation of 18-30 y/o that swing 60-40 for the Dems. It's all just a matter of time, my friend. :)

OSUdoc08 said:
You may think that everyone agrees with you about the Democratic ideals, and that the "idiot" Republicans are the minority. Keep in mind, that we make up the majority of the nation.

Move to Canada if you have a problem with that. (Or Europe if you prefer.)

You can talk on here all you want about Democratic ideals, but it will continue to be the minority of physicians and the patient population.

51-49 is hardly something to brag about...

Then again, so is Tulsa.

Also, let's take a looksee at what SDN thinks:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=178458

OSUdoc08 said:
The Dallas Cowboys still have more championships than any other team.

Austin may be a college town, but UT's teams suck nowadays.

Austin is good for democrat-types like you. If you want to give away all your money to the lazy, then let that be your prerogative.

UT just won the Rose Bowl and they suck? If you're not USC you are pretty much talking out of your arse.

Austin is good if you like young people having fun in good climate and a lot of natural beauty. It is a bunch of good restaurants. And it happens to be liberal since its a big college town.

Tulsa is good for old cynical NRA-carrying bigots who like the barren wasteland of the tornado belt that mimics their soul. The lack of anything to do is good, because then you can sit at home being cold and reading your Bible as you watch Will and Grace and recite bible passages to the TV.

But hey, to each his own...

Austin is one of the best cities in the nation, hands down. I am no longer going to argue with OSUdoc, why waste any more of my life.

OSUdoc08 said:
I would advise you to not speak negatively about the Bible.

Thanks for the advice.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Go preach to someone who cares.

OSUdoc08 said:
You'll be a wonderful physician with that attitude. Good luck in all of your endeavors.

At least we believe that our patients deserve adequate health care -- you support a politician that doesn't give a flip about the poor or those lacking health insurance. I think my patients will be much more appreciative of the fact that I value their health than they would be turned off by my distaste of conservative Christian bigotry. ;)

MadameLULU said:
I thought this thread was about the best undergrad schools....

Ahh yes it is! However, implicit in deciding which undergrad schools are the best is the fundamental argument of the value of attending conservative institutions such as Baylor, or more liberally minded centers of thought such as Rice or UT-Austin. So, hence the political/religious discussion that has ensued... =)

OSUdoc08 said:
On the contrary, I don't think patients would be turned off by a Christian physician. As far as health care is concerned, this isn't the forum for such discussions. Try starting a new thread if you want to debate the topic with someone who wants to hear your side. You and I are allowed to differ in our opinions on how it should be handled. Attacking me won't change my opinion, however.

I didn't imply that they would be turned off by Christian physicians, simply the bigotry that you have so faithfully exhibited this evening against both non-Christians and gays/lesbians.

Mateodaspy said:
Ahh yes it is! However, implicit in deciding which undergrad schools are the best is the fundamental argument of the value of attending conservative institutions such as Baylor, or more liberally minded centers of thought such as Rice or UT-Austin. So, hence the political/religious discussion that has ensued... =)

Yes, I know...i just think its funny how this thread quickly turned into a bunch of personal attacks...guess that is the nature of SDN

OSUdoc08 said:
My best friend is a lesbian. Be careful when you make assumptions. Non-Christians do deserve to hear the Gospel, however.

Well, I hope your lesbian friend understands that you believe she should be denied the right to equality under the law. Some best friend you are :rolleyes:

As a non-Christian, if you were ever my physician (which I assure you would never be the case) and you felt the need to impose the Gospel upon me, your ass would be in front of an ethics panel faster than you could call out for the Virgin Mary.

OSUdoc08 said:
For those of you who did go to school in Texas and were accepted to one of your top medical school choices, where did you go for undergrad?

Rice U, baby!

OSUdoc08 said:
There is no ethical law against bringing that up in the office.

And I never said they shouldn't be allowed equality under law.

A vote for Bush is a vote for inequality.

And, apparently they don't offer medical ethics courses at osteopathic schools.... maybe you should register for one at tulsa community college? :idea:

OSUdoc08 said:
I would advise you to not speak negatively about the Bible.

Learn some reading comprehension skills... I'm dissing the crazy fundamentalist Christians who abuse the Bible for their own ridiculous ends (just in case you fail to comprehend my post upon a second read)

Also, you keep mentioning Dallas having a HOCKEY team as its main way of beating out Houston... news flash no one cares about Hockey.

OSUdoc08 said:
Perhaps you should examine the word ethics yourself, instead of persistently attempting to insult me.

You lost the election. Get over it. I really don't care who is president anyway.

Okay, you've officially bored me to tears. Back to studying for abnormal psych.

Also, you keep mentioning Dallas having a HOCKEY team as its main way of beating out Houston... news flash no one cares about Hockey.[/QUOTE]

Your right that no one gives a crap about hockey, but Houston? It's so damn humid there you can hardly go outside in the summer, and the majority of the city has a foul stench. No thanks, I'm a native austinite and I've been to Houston many times for the sports but I'd never live there in a million years. Dallas on the other hand... :thumbup:

As for the whole religion thing. like my grandpa always said (he was a devout baptist) "Boy, if your ever on the lake and your boat springs a leak, you can pray to god, but you better row for shore." :idea:

As for republicans vs. democrats, I make 15k a year and I'm a die hard democrat, now when I finish my residency and get to 150k/year it's the elephant all the way :laugh: What you see always depends on where you are standing

JimmyMallo said:
Your right that no one gives a crap about hockey, but Houston? It's so damn humid there you can hardly go outside in the summer, and the majority of the city has a foul stench. No thanks, I'm a native austinite and I've been to Houston many times for the sports but I'd never live there in a million years. Dallas on the other hand... :thumbup:

As for the whole religion thing. like my grandpa always said (he was a devout baptist) "Boy, if your ever on the lake and your boat springs a leak, you can pray to god, but you better row for shore." :idea:

As for republicans vs. democrats, I make 15k a year and I'm a die hard democrat, now when I finish my residency and get to 150k/year it's the elephant all the way :laugh: What you see always depends on where you are standing

:thumbup: that just about summed it up.....sweet

JimmyMallo said:
Also, you keep mentioning Dallas having a HOCKEY team as its main way of beating out Houston... news flash no one cares about Hockey.

As for republicans vs. democrats, I make 15k a year and I'm a die hard democrat, now when I finish my residency and get to 150k/year it's the elephant all the way :laugh: What you see always depends on where you are standing[/QUOTE]

If I recall correctly, right now NO ONE has a hockey team. Stupid owners.

:laugh: <--- i'm entertained

after four years in durham NC (80% kerry, baby!), its gonna be quite something moving back to texas.

at least i'll be in san antonio. :D

OSUdoc08 said:
The Dallas Cowboys still have more championships than any other team.

Austin may be a college town, but UT's teams suck nowadays.

Austin is good for democrat-types like you. If you want to give away all your money to the lazy, then let that be your prerogative.

Wait Wait Wait....is this a pre-med forum? How the hell did politics and such personal opinions jump in (and anyway I find your comments most offensive not because I am either a democrat nor a republican but because I am a person). I am glad you are opting for the DO role and not the MD role b/c I wouldn't ever want someone like you treating my family or working in a hospital with a funky attitude like that (I saw the comment about the minority population in an earlier post too...horribly elitist). News flash sweetie, you are going into a service profession. Health related field are service oriented....you are going to be working with patients who are sick....and lazy because they are sick.....or maybe not lazy but just discriminated against...are you going to be disgusted by them and allow it to possibly interfere with treatment....because it sounds like you are disgusted now....

keep your politics and your professional life separate...this is a professional board....or at least a pre-professional board. Be easy

MadameLULU said:
Yes, I know...i just think its funny how this thread quickly turned into a bunch of personal attacks...guess that is the nature of SDN

I am shocked! UTTERLY SHOCKED that you insinuate that, Lulu! ;-P