metalhead1023

High School Student
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
Post Doc
What are good undergraduate majors that help get into med school.

aemed724

Affectionately called Amy
10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
What are good undergraduate majors that help get into med school.
you can major in anything, med schools dont care what you major in as long as you do well in your classes

OP
metalhead1023

metalhead1023

High School Student
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
Post Doc
Well yes thats true but, ok let me rephrase what is the hardest undergraduate degree there is.

sunny1

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Well yes thats true but, ok let me rephrase what is the hardest undergraduate degree there is.
the hardest major would also give you the most challenge in getting good grades. med schools like high gpas too!

not to mention "hard" depends on the person and their natural abilities (math vs. science vs. arts).

Wylde

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
why?

Obviously it is very subjective, the stereotypical reply is physics (or maybe an engineering discipline).

But the real answer is probably the major you dislike the most!

For example, I like physics and am good at math. I'm sure I would do significantly better in physics that I would in a music or art major.

Arjuna

Wielder of the Brahmastra
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
If you are choosing a degree based on which is the "hardest", then I am sorry to say that you will have a very hard time getting into med school. This is because not only is the course material going to be hard, but most important of all, you will have minimal, if any interest in it, which will make it impossible to get good grades unless you are super motivated and a genius. In addition, your question made me LOL when I read it and I thought: "Must be an Asian kid.." But hey, no hard feelings, I am Asian too (Just not Chinese). :D

aemed724

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
okay I see well like the others have said it really depends on the person, pick a major you will enjoy. I think that will help more than anything....:)

OP
metalhead1023

metalhead1023

High School Student
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
Post Doc
Ok well then I love chemistry seriously its my favorite class. Would it look like I am taking that major to impress

kevster2001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Ok well then I love chemistry seriously its my favorite class. Would it look like I am taking that major to impress
No. If you like chemistry, major in that , it's a relatively difficult major to boot.

sunny1

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
generally no one looks at a major and says, "wow they were trying to impress someone" unless they are triple majoring.

you like chemistry, set your major as chemistry, take some of the classes for the major. If you still like it down the road, great. If you change your mind you can always change your major too. That's the nice thing about college =)

I really think SDN needs to start a high school/entering college for the first time forum.

aemed724

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
generally no one looks at a major and says, "wow they were trying to impress someone" unless they are triple majoring.

you like chemistry, set your major as chemistry, take some of the classes for the major. If you still like it down the road, great. If you change your mind you can always change your major too. That's the nice thing about college =)

I really think SDN needs to start a high school/entering college for the first time forum.
QFT :thumbup:

thesauce

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
If you are choosing a degree based on which is the "hardest", then I am sorry to say that you will have a very hard time getting into med school. This is because not only is the course material going to be hard, but most important of all, you will have minimal, if any interest in it, which will make it impossible to get good grades unless you are super motivated and a genius. In addition, your question made me LOL when I read it and I thought: "Must be an Asian kid.." But hey, no hard feelings, I am Asian too (Just not Chinese). :D
I definately see what you're saying here, and it theoretically makes sense. But it made me laugh because I chose the hardest major I could find, Chemical Engineering, simply because I wanted the challenge. I ended up with a 4.0, so it worked out for me.

I got an interview to every med school that applied to, with very little else on my resume and a mediocre MCAT score, so it must have helped.

OP: I feel like a high GPA in engineering will turn heads. A high GPA in most other things will need to be validated with a high MCAT score.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Schools don't give much credit for taking a hard major, except perhaps giving some grade leeway for engineering. If the goal is getting into med school, you want the absolute highest GPA you can get. So you are better off majoring in an easy major and getting straight A's than a difficult major and getting B's.

engineeredout

10+ Year Member
May 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I definately see what you're saying here, and it theoretically makes sense. But it made me laugh because I chose the hardest major I could find, Chemical Engineering, simply because I wanted the challenge. I ended up with a 4.0, so it worked out for me.

I got an interview to every med school that applied to, with very little else on my resume and a mediocre MCAT score, so it must have helped.

OP: I feel like a high GPA in engineering will turn heads. A high GPA in most other things will need to be validated with a high MCAT score.

:thumbup::thumbup: I love chemical engineer success stories :D

I don't have a 4.0 though :-(

Isoprop

Fascinating, tell me more
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
best major: biology

paranoid_eyes

10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
major in something where you'll get the highest gpa. :idea:

AUD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2008
Delaware
Status
Medical Student
Edit: changed my mind, and decided to be productive.

Med schools don't care what you major in, period. Just do well.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Either Business, Communications, or elementary education

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
What's the purpose of this thread?
For genius Metalhead to pick out the hardest major because it will guarantee him a full ride to harvard med?