Good USMLE Step 2 score compensate for Step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yowhatup

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Being an AMG, can a moderately good USMLE Step 2 score of about 235 compensate a extremely low USMLE Step 1 score of about 200? Could EM and Anesthesia be possibilities still?

IMO, USMLE step 2 is far more relevant to clinical work than Step 1.

Members don't see this ad.

As an AMG, sure. But, IMGs need much more... Step 1 is the most important of all boards.

Being an AMG, can a moderately good USMLE Step 2 score of about 235 compensate a extremely low USMLE Step 1 score of about 200? Could EM and Anesthesia be possibilities still?

I think it would have been much worse had it been below three digit score of 200.
Good Luck.

It may be far more relevant but most programs put a much heavier emphasis on step 1

part of the problem with step 2 is people know the effort is much more variable than step 1. Lots of people take step 2 as an afterthought. Much more difficult to differentiate between applicants that way. But yes, it can help, if it is pretty high.

EM and Anesth are still open to you with those scores.

It doesn't matter what you think of the exams.

Take a look at the results of the SDN EM Match Survey (link in my sig). The information there may help you figure things out.

Dont mean to beat a dead horse.. but I just got my step score back (i'm a CMG) any hope left other than FP/IM? (No visa issues/etc)

Last edited:
EM and Anesth are still open to you with those scores.

It doesn't matter what you think of the exams.

Agreed. I have friends that matched both EM and Gas with lower step 1s. One friend matched to top choice EM with a 198 step 1. It was her top choice of any program in the nation (medium competitiveness program in my opinion).