Good Uworld vs. crappy KaplanQbank scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

civilleader

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Kaplan keeps kicking my but and Im at a 58% average meanwhile in Uworld I have a 65% average and if you take in the last few tests ive done its more like 68-70% average... I have a month to go before I take the test. Should I be concerned about my Kaplan performance (it hasnt really improved since i started) or is that score suggesting a deficiency somewhere?

I find uworld oddly enough easier than kaplan maybe thats just me...

Members don't see this ad.

So Kaplan keeps kicking my but and Im at a 58% average meanwhile in Uworld I have a 65% average and if you take in the last few tests ive done its more like 68-70% average... I have a month to go before I take the test. Should I be concerned about my Kaplan performance (it hasnt really improved since i started) or is that score suggesting a deficiency somewhere?

I find uworld oddly enough easier than kaplan maybe thats just me...

I'm in the same boat, although I'm not sure I have any particularly useful advice on the matter.

Are your score breakdowns deficient in a specific spot (on either qbank)?

Are you learning from them? That's what's probably most important (particularly with UWorld).

the kaplan questions seem like you either know it or you don't, and are made hard by testing factoids that not many people know. the uworld questions are, in general harder, but many leave open the possibility of reasoning through it using knowledge of basic concepts. So as you learn more and get better at applying concepts, you'll get higher scores on UW. on kaplan, improvement depends on whether you've learned more minutiae, which you often haven't seen in other sources. The nbme questions that I've seen seem to be more like UW in this regard.

the kaplan questions seem like you either know it or you don't, and are made hard by testing factoids that not many people know. the uworld questions are, in general harder, but many leave open the possibility of reasoning through it using knowledge of basic concepts. So as you learn more and get better at applying concepts, you'll get higher scores on UW. on kaplan, improvement depends on whether you've learned more minutiae, which you often haven't seen in other sources. The nbme questions that I've seen seem to be more like UW in this regard.

Yes they regularly test facts that's not written even in their own coursework books! It's exceptionally frustrating. I would suggest trusting your Uworld score rather than Kaplan.