ericali

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2005
43
2
Status
Hello,

I need to increase my verbal score and need some quality practice. I've done hundreds of passages for my first MCAT so I'm running out of material. I did TPR and did most of Kaplan's practices. Any other sources of practice material?

Thanks,
 

MissMary

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2004
105
0
37
New York
Visit site
Status
a lot of information has already been posted on this topic in the past. if you do a search you will find a lot of suggestions. there was a 30+ study tips thread once, which was very helpful
 
About the Ads

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2005
2,295
2
48
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ericali said:
Hello,

I need to increase my verbal score and need some quality practice. I've done hundreds of passages for my first MCAT so I'm running out of material. I did TPR and did most of Kaplan's practices. Any other sources of practice material?

Thanks,
I thought that ExamKrackers had good passages and good strategy.
 

laboholic

10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
488
8
Status
Resident [Any Field]
gdbaby said:
I thought that ExamKrackers had good passages and good strategy.
as always, I am going to have to second what gdbaby has said. I scored a 5 on VR for my first kaplan practice test then I got the EK101 verbal book and did the first 7 tests with a timer in the library. Its a very good book and I gradually brought my score up. My highest on Kaplan practice was an 11.. granted I only scored a 9 on the real thing but Im happy! EK101 is worth the money!
 

DrBuro

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 28, 2005
254
1
Status
ericali said:
Hello,

I need to increase my verbal score and need some quality practice. I've done hundreds of passages for my first MCAT so I'm running out of material. I did TPR and did most of Kaplan's practices. Any other sources of practice material?

Thanks,
Rethink the method you are using for passages. Obviously after hundreds of passages and no results, you are doing something wrong. Find someone that you know that is really good at standardized tests and see what the hell you are doing wrong. I scored a girl from Columbia that doubled my verbal score from 5-6 to 11-12.
 

Twitch

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
1,450
2
127.0.0.1
Status
Medical Student
DrBuro said:
Rethink the method you are using for passages. Obviously after hundreds of passages and no results, you are doing something wrong. Find someone that you know that is really good at standardized tests and see what the hell you are doing wrong. I scored a girl from Columbia that doubled my verbal score from 5-6 to 11-12.

Maybe this girl from Columbia should publish a book - double your VR score. What did she say?
 

anon-y-mouse

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2005
1,382
13
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DrBuro said:
Rethink the method you are using for passages. Obviously after hundreds of passages and no results, you are doing something wrong. Find someone that you know that is really good at standardized tests and see what the hell you are doing wrong. I scored a girl from Columbia that doubled my verbal score from 5-6 to 11-12.
agreed, you need to rethink and *show improvement*. verbal shouldn't be about "lucking out" on the passages you get on the MCAT but being able to tackle anything. pay attention to technique.
 

DrBuro

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 28, 2005
254
1
Status
Y_Marker said:
Maybe this girl from Columbia should publish a book - double your VR score. What did she say?
Loads of stuff..

The thing that she told me that seemed to help the most was, whenever you can, answer the question before you even read any of the answer choices, and then match your answer best to theirs.

Of course, you need to figure out your biggest problem. Mine, in this case, was that I was reading all of the answer choices and trying to make them the correct answer, in a sense. For example, I'd be like, "Well this choice could be correct because, but this other answer could also be correct because...," and then I would just end up guessing between the two because I'd convinced myself that they were both correct answers. It was a hard thing to get over, and I'm sorry that it is so hard to explain on the internet.

P.S. Did anyone even notice I answered the OP completely wrong?
 

ericali

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2005
43
2
Status
DrBuro said:
Loads of stuff..

The thing that she told me that seemed to help the most was, whenever you can, answer the question before you even read any of the answer choices, and then match your answer best to theirs.

Of course, you need to figure out your biggest problem. Mine, in this case, was that I was reading all of the answer choices and trying to make them the correct answer, in a sense. For example, I'd be like, "Well this choice could be correct because, but this other answer could also be correct because...," and then I would just end up guessing between the two because I'd convinced myself that they were both correct answers. It was a hard thing to get over, and I'm sorry that it is so hard to explain on the internet.

P.S. Did anyone even notice I answered the OP completely wrong?

I just assumed you meant that this girl helped you with verbal, and now you date her. Thus, you scored her.
 
About the Ads