1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

good verbal practice

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by ericali, Dec 7, 2005.

1. ericali

ericali Member
    5+ Year Member

Hello,

I need to increase my verbal score and need some quality practice. I've done hundreds of passages for my first MCAT so I'm running out of material. I did TPR and did most of Kaplan's practices. Any other sources of practice material?

Thanks,

2. the negative 1

the negative 1 Bovie to "war crimes" please
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  3. MissMary

MissMary Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

a lot of information has already been posted on this topic in the past. if you do a search you will find a lot of suggestions. there was a 30+ study tips thread once, which was very helpful

4. gdbaby

gdbaby Prettier than before
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I thought that ExamKrackers had good passages and good strategy.

5. laboholic

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    as always, I am going to have to second what gdbaby has said. I scored a 5 on VR for my first kaplan practice test then I got the EK101 verbal book and did the first 7 tests with a timer in the library. Its a very good book and I gradually brought my score up. My highest on Kaplan practice was an 11.. granted I only scored a 9 on the real thing but Im happy! EK101 is worth the money!

6. DrBuro

DrBuro Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Rethink the method you are using for passages. Obviously after hundreds of passages and no results, you are doing something wrong. Find someone that you know that is really good at standardized tests and see what the hell you are doing wrong. I scored a girl from Columbia that doubled my verbal score from 5-6 to 11-12.

7. Twitch

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

Maybe this girl from Columbia should publish a book - double your VR score. What did she say?

8. anon-y-mouse

anon-y-mouse Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    agreed, you need to rethink and *show improvement*. verbal shouldn't be about "lucking out" on the passages you get on the MCAT but being able to tackle anything. pay attention to technique.

9. DrBuro

DrBuro Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Loads of stuff..

The thing that she told me that seemed to help the most was, whenever you can, answer the question before you even read any of the answer choices, and then match your answer best to theirs.

Of course, you need to figure out your biggest problem. Mine, in this case, was that I was reading all of the answer choices and trying to make them the correct answer, in a sense. For example, I'd be like, "Well this choice could be correct because, but this other answer could also be correct because...," and then I would just end up guessing between the two because I'd convinced myself that they were both correct answers. It was a hard thing to get over, and I'm sorry that it is so hard to explain on the internet.

P.S. Did anyone even notice I answered the OP completely wrong?

10. ericali

ericali Member
    5+ Year Member

I just assumed you meant that this girl helped you with verbal, and now you date her. Thus, you scored her.