good verbal practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericali

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I need to increase my verbal score and need some quality practice. I've done hundreds of passages for my first MCAT so I'm running out of material. I did TPR and did most of Kaplan's practices. Any other sources of practice material?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

a lot of information has already been posted on this topic in the past. if you do a search you will find a lot of suggestions. there was a 30+ study tips thread once, which was very helpful

ericali said:
Hello,

I need to increase my verbal score and need some quality practice. I've done hundreds of passages for my first MCAT so I'm running out of material. I did TPR and did most of Kaplan's practices. Any other sources of practice material?

Thanks,
I thought that ExamKrackers had good passages and good strategy.

Members don't see this ad :)
gdbaby said:
I thought that ExamKrackers had good passages and good strategy.

as always, I am going to have to second what gdbaby has said. I scored a 5 on VR for my first kaplan practice test then I got the EK101 verbal book and did the first 7 tests with a timer in the library. Its a very good book and I gradually brought my score up. My highest on Kaplan practice was an 11.. granted I only scored a 9 on the real thing but Im happy! EK101 is worth the money!

ericali said:
Hello,

Thanks,

Rethink the method you are using for passages. Obviously after hundreds of passages and no results, you are doing something wrong. Find someone that you know that is really good at standardized tests and see what the hell you are doing wrong. I scored a girl from Columbia that doubled my verbal score from 5-6 to 11-12.

DrBuro said:
Rethink the method you are using for passages. Obviously after hundreds of passages and no results, you are doing something wrong. Find someone that you know that is really good at standardized tests and see what the hell you are doing wrong. I scored a girl from Columbia that doubled my verbal score from 5-6 to 11-12.

Maybe this girl from Columbia should publish a book - double your VR score. What did she say?

DrBuro said:
agreed, you need to rethink and *show improvement*. verbal shouldn't be about "lucking out" on the passages you get on the MCAT but being able to tackle anything. pay attention to technique.

Y_Marker said:
Maybe this girl from Columbia should publish a book - double your VR score. What did she say?

Loads of stuff..

The thing that she told me that seemed to help the most was, whenever you can, answer the question before you even read any of the answer choices, and then match your answer best to theirs.

Of course, you need to figure out your biggest problem. Mine, in this case, was that I was reading all of the answer choices and trying to make them the correct answer, in a sense. For example, I'd be like, "Well this choice could be correct because, but this other answer could also be correct because...," and then I would just end up guessing between the two because I'd convinced myself that they were both correct answers. It was a hard thing to get over, and I'm sorry that it is so hard to explain on the internet.

P.S. Did anyone even notice I answered the OP completely wrong?

DrBuro said:
Loads of stuff..

The thing that she told me that seemed to help the most was, whenever you can, answer the question before you even read any of the answer choices, and then match your answer best to theirs.

Of course, you need to figure out your biggest problem. Mine, in this case, was that I was reading all of the answer choices and trying to make them the correct answer, in a sense. For example, I'd be like, "Well this choice could be correct because, but this other answer could also be correct because...," and then I would just end up guessing between the two because I'd convinced myself that they were both correct answers. It was a hard thing to get over, and I'm sorry that it is so hard to explain on the internet.

P.S. Did anyone even notice I answered the OP completely wrong?

I just assumed you meant that this girl helped you with verbal, and now you date her. Thus, you scored her.