good volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have volunteered 2 summers (one before senior year of high school, one after freshman year of college) at a pediatric facility for handicapped children, a summer at a nursing home and hospital in high school, and I have shadowed a family physician for 3 months (for which I got a LOR). I have also volunteered (non-health related) for a special youth project group tutorial for like the past 2.5 years. I am a graduating senior...is all this considered to be good volunteer experience, or am I lacking as far as quantity? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

also, the 2 summers at the pediatric facility was about 30 hours a week.

It's not about the hours or what's on the paper. It's about what you've learned from it and if you can express that well. If you can, then you're set.

Members don't see this ad :)
REally!? Well, I definitely learned a lot, that's for sure.

any other thoughts?

It doesn't seem like you have been consistent with health-related volunteering. You stopped after the summer of your freshman year? Also, High school work is not going to count. It also looks like you might be a little light on the clinical experience from what I have read of other posters-- nontheless, it is your overall profile that matters.

The 2.5 years in non-health activities could show your well-roundness. What other activities do you have?

Like I said, I volunteered for a youth tutorial for refugees for the past couple of years, and have been lightly involved with a student religious organization. I think I do have enough experience as an individual, but I not as much recently. I am a bit worried.

also, i spent a little bit of time at the pediatric facility again last summer (I usually go sometimes when I am home on breaks and stuff).