Good way to teach yourself biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Trek 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have never taken an official biochem class and would like to do so. However, I would like to do it via a self-study course- but something with a little bit more of a realistic structure than a textbook.

Anyone have any ideas for some good books on biochem that serve as a good general biochem course?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

metabolic pathways buddy! just memorize them and you'll love biochem to death :)

pure rote memorization.

Write out the pathway with the chemical structures, the names of the enzymes, cofactors, and regulation points. Stare at them for a few minutes to get the overall idea of what's going on. Then do it all over again from what you can remember. When you get stuck, take a peak at the answer. As far as the properties of the biochemicals, it's just a matter of reading and understanding the differences in chemical structure between sugars, amino acids and nucleic acids (as well as other stuff that doesnt get lumped in with those). having a prof and a lecture really helped expand it beyond the level of rote memorization to bring in some color commentary on the clinical correlates and random information.

Members don't see this ad :)
LJDHC05 said:
pure rote memorization.

I have to disagree with this somewhat. Yes, much of biochem is memorization, but at the same time, you must merge the factoids together to gain insight into the subject matter. Our prof assumed when writing the test we knew the basics, so the actual exam tested our ability to use all these memorized facts to solve new problems. Anybody can memorize in enough time, but no many can gain insight without substantial work and a helpful mentor.

Thanks for the input guys.

How about suggesting a good book (preferably not a standard textbook but more of a review book) from which I can learn these pathways, etc. from?

Thanks!

Dr Trek 1 said:
Thanks for the input guys.

How about suggesting a good book (preferably not a standard textbook but more of a review book) from which I can learn these pathways, etc. from?

Thanks!

you haven't seen biochem and yet you want a *review* book? hahaha, good luck buddy.

i recommend lehninger if you need a textbook.

We use Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry (Nelson and Cox) in my biochem course... here are a few helpful 'animation' type sites that I have found to aid in my attempt to not fail the course :rolleyes:

http://www.wiley.com/college/pratt/0471393878/student/exercises/index.html

http://www.wiley.com/legacy/college/boyer/0470003790/animations/animations.htm

I am a very visual learner, so I like to look at animations to aid in the learning process. I think the second link is the better site of the two. G'luck :)

Trek - We use Berg (Biochemistry, 5th Edition, Berg et al, Freeman Publishers) with Lehninger as a supplement. I really haven't had much trouble with Berg and didn't buy Lehninger, but our instructor (who is fantastic) says Berg is a better reference book but Lehninger is more readable to learn the material. I took Cellular Biology last semester and found Biochem to be pretty manageable - however, if I hadn't had upper-division Cell Bio before Biochem, I think it would have been much more of a challenge.

I know reading a textbook sounds like a drag, but I don't think the material lends itself to being something you could pick-up from a review book as new material. Good luck.

Biochemistry is very much self-learnable and all you need is a good text book. I recommend Stryer. Also, no it is not all memorization and a good amount of understanding will help strengthen the concepts for you and make it easier to memorize what needs to be memorizes. I personally did almost zero memorization in the course and just retained the names by understanding the functions of the enzymes.

Gavanshir said:
Biochemistry is very much self-learnable and all you need is a good text book. I recommend Stryer. Also, no it is not all memorization and a good amount of understanding will help strengthen the concepts for you and make it easier to memorize what needs to be memorizes. I personally did almost zero memorization in the course and just retained the names by understanding the functions of the enzymes.

Great Advice gavan!!!