Good Websites for Allopathic Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NastyC5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, start posting the best histology sites for slides and info! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So, I've put together a list of websites that I used (arranged by subject) during MSI. Doe anyone have any websites that would be good for second year (path, pharm, etc)?

Feel free to post other websites that you think will be useful and I will add them to this first post. If you notice defunct links, please please sned me a PM so I can fix it! Thanks!

The Mother of all Resources

**Anatomy**
UMICH Anatomy
LUMEN Dissector
Cool Eye Simulation page
Disection videos
Wheeless' Textbook of Orthopaedics
Anatomy Table
Net Anatomy
Another Useful page from UMich
Gray's Anatomy
Arkansas Anatomy Tables
The Anatomy Lesson
Get Body Smart- A really good anatomy site to help with muscle action, insertion, etc.
Videos of Berkeley's undergraduate human anatomy- Anatomy taught by a grandmother
Doctor Tutor- Musculoskeletal System - Interactive Guide
GetBodySmart
Learn the Brachial Plexus in 5 minutes
DirectAnatomy- A free online software to browse human body by images and find answers to your anatomical questions

**Histology**
Iowa's Histology Laboratory
Suny Downstate's Histology Manual
Histology Learning System
JayDoc Histo Web
Blue Histology --- lecture notes and quizzes

**Physiology**
Heart Physiology from U. of Utah
EKG Review
UT Memphis Renal Outline
ECG library- Collection of Recordings
ECG Stimulator- Quickly learn the most common ECG findings
ECG Wave Maven- Case Studies from havard

**Embryology**
Human Embryology Animations
The Visible Embryo
University of Guelph

**Radiology**
Learning Radiology
MedPix Medical Image Library
radiologyeducation.com- digital library of radiology education resources
Introduction to Radiology - From UVirginia
Emergency Medicine Picture Archiving and Communication System
Radiology cases in peds EM - From UHawaii
Virtual Pediatric Hospital
metaRADS- search for radiology cases - you can view thumbnails of the cases to find exactly what you are looking for

**Neuroanatomy/Neuroscience**
Neuroscience Tutorial
UToronto's Neuro Notes This program is awesome to visualize in 3-D stuctures like the internal capsule. Download Functional Neuroanatomy and Functional Neuroanatomy update to function properly.
Whole Brain Atlas
Salaman's Neuroanatomy Atlas
Essential Neurologic Exam

**Microbiology and Immunology**
Microbiology Textbook Online
Microbiology and Immunology Online

**Physical Examination/Clinicals**
A Practical Guide to Clinical Medicine
Loyola University Medical Education network - Reviews the steps of the Physical exam
University of Washington's Advanced Physical Diagnosis - Choose an organ system and then click on "demonstration"
The RALE Repository of Lung Sounds
UC Davis Review of Lung Sounds
Blaufuss Mulitmedia Heart Sounds Tutorial
Heart Lab Cardiac Auscultation Simulator- Test yourself of heart sounds
McGill University Virtual Stethoscope
Auscultation Assistant
OR Live Watch Live Surgeries
The Connecticut Tutorials
Medical Media Systems $
University of Virginia's Practice of Medicine - See the resources section at the bottom of the page for videos, interviewing techniques, and links

**Pathology**
WebPath tutorials and and online path exams.
Heme/Onc Morpholgies
Pimpnotes open-source med notes that puts in much better order key material for the boards. pathology (all of it! 120+ pages), bugs charts, and pharm charts, all in a grid format that allows for much easier comparing and contrasting. all the material has been thoroughly checked against major resources like brs, q bank, baby robbins, and first aid for consistency.
) I have recently added printing macros to the grids, which ensure clean printing of all forms.
2) We now have WIKI GUIDES for USMLE Step 1 & USMLE Step 2 -- please join and contribute to this project.

Pimp Notes Grids hosts open-source (free) pathophysiology comparison grids along with pathophysiology flash cards.
DermIS.net- Dermatology website; great pics, search by description, name or body location

**Residency**
Careers in Medicine- You must get your login information from your school.
Residency Web from Washington University
Reviews of Residency Programs
Picking a Medical Specialty (info only)
Personality quiz to pick a specialty (Buffalo)
Personality quiz to pick a specialty (Virginia)
Personality quiz to pick a specialty (Funny)

**PDA Software**
ePocrates- Drug guide (Palm, Pocket PC)
Med Calc (Palm)
John Hopkins ID Guide (Palm)
Mobile PDR (Palm, Pocket PC)
Merck Manual
List of misc. medical programs
Doctor's gadgets- The SDN of medical PDAs
Lexi-Comp- Drug Database
Family Practice PDA -A collection of lots of programs and information for the Palm and PocketPC.
Handy Med- Medical flashcards for Palm and PocketPC. ($5, free demo).
PEPID - Lots of integrated software (Palm, Windows, $$)
Unbound Medicine - Has the 5 minute Clinical Consult, among other titles ($)

**Misc**
Set of Study Guides
Medical Mnemonics
More Medical Mnemonics
Good site that translates medical texts into audio files.
MIT's OpenCourseWare- MIT puts their lecture materials online
MedTerms Medical Dictionary
The Inner Life of a Cell (w/o narration)
Inner Life of a Cell (8 minutes w/narration and no music)
KMLE Medical Dictionary
Flashcard Exchange- Lots of user-submitted flashcards. Scroll down to the medical section.
Pubmed Bookshelf- a growing collection of biomedical books that can be searched directly by typing a concept into the textbox
eMedicine eTools- tons of online calculators (BMI, APGAR, Glasgow, anion gap, etc.) along with some helpful online pictures (dermatomes, etc.)
Resources for Medical students
Bookshelf-This is a site with lots of texts online (searchable). Worth checking out before buying a text. It's like a basic science version of Access Medicine.

**Humor**
Scut Monkey

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 users
I'm glad someone is making this list. I've thought that we should pool our resources together for one long links page. I would also like to see the moderators make this thread a sticky. Please add my links MadameLULU.

Anatomy
Dissection videos
Wheeless' Textbook of Orthopaedics
Anatomy table
Net Anatomy Another useful page from UMich
Gray's Anatomy
Arkansas Anatomy Tables
The Anatomy Lesson

Neuroscience
Whole Brain Atlas
Salaman's Neuroanatomy Atlas

Histology
JayDoc HistoWeb

Microbiology and Immunology
Microbiology textbook online
Microbiology and Immunology Online

Clinicals
OR Live - Watch live surgeries
The Connecticut Tutorials
Medical Media Systems ($)

Misc
Set of study guides

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Really Great

Thank You So Much ,

I Was Looking For Sites For The Clinical Examination

This fantastic. Anyone have a 2nd year list??? Please, please.

Definitely bookmarking this page. Thanks a lot, really appreciated :thumbup:

Some more links for you to add, MadameLULU:

Residency
Careers in Medicine - You must get your login information from your school.
Residency Web from Washinton University
Scut Work - Reviews of residency programs
Picking a medical specialty (info only)
Personality quiz to pick a specialty (Buffalo)
Personality quiz to pick a specialty (Virginia)
Personality quiz to pick a specialty (Funny)

Humor
Scut Monkey

PDA software
ePocrates -Drug guide (Palm, Pocket PC)
Med Calc (Palm)
Johns Hopkins ID Guide (Palm)
Mobile PDR (Palm, Pocket PC)
Merck Manual (Palm, Pocket PC)
List of misc. medical programs
Doctor's Gadgets - The SDN of medical PDA's

http://www.medicalstudent.com/

"MedicalStudent.com is a digital library of authoritative medical information for all students of medicine"

Links to many sites so you can find which works for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Great resources, I am going to add many of these to HelptheDoctor.com
Thanks to all who contributed here.

Reactions: 1 user
Great post.....

Get Body Smart

A really good anatomy site to help with muscle action, insertion, etc.

oh thanx..really great sites u've got there >>>

Here is a site that translates medical text books into audio files.

URL removed

$20 for Robbins as a sound tester? No thanks. You can get an electronic version of Robbins for free through MDconsult (if your school has a subscription---which it should) or via robbinspathology.com if you own a hard copy of the book. You can then use a free text-speech program like Speakonia to read the book to you aloud. This method is really helpful when you're getting burned out on reading. Also, since the speaking is at a constant rate, you can pace your reading of the text.

Given that this website has no finished products and yet you (with only one post) are advertising it, I'm calling spam on this post.

I am aware you can get the elctronic robbins. I think most people are. And yes I am aware that you can use any number of text to speach programs to listen to the text. Again, I think most people are. For me those programs never work that well. Anyway, I didn't think I would get hit like this after making a post. The thread seemed to be asking for sites that could help medical students. I thought this site could help. (www.studybyear.com) They translate medical textbooks to an audio file with an actual person reading them. Your right, the site was under construction when I made that post, but now they have a lot more up. (The site is ran by medical students) Clearly, I was not trying to spam anyone. I think you were a little quick on the trigger... ;) Its ok.:thumbup:

awesome work.......keep them coming in.........

Thanks for the usefull links!!!!!!

MEDIC online : Your Online Medical Reference Hub
http://www.mediconline.co.nr​

Online medical reference bookshelf consisting of:

1. Medical Textbooks
  2. Medical Dictionaries
  3. Medical Journals
  4. Exam Question Papers
  5. PDA software
  6. others

A network of continuosly growing resources.

PDA
----
Family Practice PDA - A collection of lots of programs and information for the Palm and PocketPC.

Radiology
---------
Learning Radiology
MedPix Medical Image Library

Embryology (or maybe misc)
-----------
Massive Attack: Special Cases, Male - A fun music video with some in vitro fertilization and development. A good distraction from studying.
Massive Attack: Special Cases, Female - Same as above, but through the female perspective.

Physical Exam
-------------
University of Virginia's Practice of Medicine - See the resources section at the bottom of the page for videos, interviewing techniques, and links
Richmond Eye Associates' Clinical Section

Meta Sites
-----------
University of Florida's Med Info - Choose one of the years from the left side of the screen (e.g., "COM First Year") and enjoy to postings and links
eMedicine - Lots of articles about various diseases

Great list!!!

Thanks for posting!

D.--

I've put together an offsite conglomeration of these links. I've added a function that will allow users to search through their choice of databases to find the proper article to suite their needs. A screen shot of the new page:

medstudlinks.jpg

Link for the new page. You can also do a "right-click... save as" if you want to keep this page on your own hard drive so you won't have to keep coming back.

http://www.pimpnotes.org

the grids = http://www.pimpnotes.org/?page=grids

download the grids, bugs, and pharm

i just published open-source med notes that puts in much better order key material for the boards. pathology (all of it! 120+ pages), bugs charts, and pharm charts, all in a grid format that allows for much easier comparing and contrasting. all the material has been thoroughly checked against major resources like brs, q bank, baby robbins, and first aid for consistency.

it's a great resource because it presents the same information as all these other sources, but in a format that makes it much easier to compare/contrast and see the big picture beyond all the details.

thank you very much for these links
:)

can any one tell me good web sites for animations in gynaecology?????

KMLE Medical Dictionary
http://www.kmle.com

Site includes the full American Heritage Medical Dictionary, WordNet, About 80,000 audio pronunciations and metasearch for words in Stedmans, Tabers, Dorlands, Merrian-Webster, MedicineNet medical dictionary.
Link directory for medical students and doctors including most of the links in this thread.

Found this with good question about chest pain. Has a recording audio of doctor talking to patient.

my.onexamination.com

:smuggrin:

So, I've put together a list of websites that I used (arranged by subject) during MSI. Doe anyone have any websites that

**Histology**
Iowa's Histology Laboratory
Suny Downstate's Histology Manual
[url**Embryology**
Human Embryology Animations
The Visible Embryo
University of Guelph

[Doctor's gadgets- The SDN of medical PDAs
Lexi-Comp- Drug Database
Family Practice PDA -A collection of lots of programs and information for the Palm and PocketPC.

.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Biology/index.htm]MIT's OpenCourseWare[/url]- MIT pu**[/B]
Scut Monkey

Thanks for that, I was looking for embryo animations. :thumbup:

I humbly submit my little web-based project designed to help me, and others, get through basic science courses and the Step I exam.

www.examninja.net

anyone can tell how to do pharmacology,pathology,regional anatomy & pathophysiology in 4 months,also wat to skip and which pionts i should master,some suggestions

anyone can tell how to do pharmacology,pathology,regional anatomy & pathophysiology in 4 months,also wat to skip and which pionts i should master,some suggestions

Your question is inappropriate for this thread. I see from your other posts that you've been looking for someone to tell you how to learn the subjects you listed. Since you're claiming to be a 2nd year medical student, you should be aware of the most popular books for the basic sciences. Purchase Robbins, Moore, Katzung, and the Lippincott series and read through them religiously to master the material. While the websites listed on this page are useful supplements for learning, they do not replace reading textbooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.