goodbye funtime?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eellen3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Hope you guys can help me again.

I'm applying to med school early decision for the next cycle---so I def. need to turn everything in early and be ready to fix anything if a problem arises.My parents want to go out of the country in June for about 20 days with me. I'm looking forward to that but I'm scared it's bad timing. Should I just stay hope because med school might call me because I'm missing something or whatever?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mmmm... can someone check for you? IDK where you're going or whatever.

...yeah that's the problem. I won't have access to the internet, cellphone.
Well if you dont have access to anything, my suggestions would be to forego the early decision and apply regular decision to a broad range of schools. If you are, still, definitely gonna apply EDP, then unfortunately I think you should stay home.

You can have everything in life...but not all at the same time..:) I say it's definitely bad timing. If you're hellbent on applying through EDP then you better talk to your parents to delay your trip, because med school won't wait for nobody.

Before you decide on anything, I think that you should call the school you are applying to. You might be able to write a side note on your application to let them know you will be out of the country for some time. I told the schools that I don't have interviews with yet that I am very interested and let them know the time period I will be in New Zealand next semester. I think this is probably a little bit different because it is ED and they know that you only want to go to that school. I say go on your trip (and you will be able to have internet access in a cafe in any city) and have a fun time!

Thanks for your help everybody.

Are you sure that you won't have at least access to email during your vacation? Every time I've travelled outside of backpacking trips during the last 5 years I've had easy access to the internet.

Isn't June too early for schools to contact you regarding interviews, considering AMCAS opens in June?

Most EDP deadlines are in August, I thought, so that leaves plenty of time...

June 1st is the 1st day I can submit AMCAS.
Should I just then wait to submit till I come back?

You guys are so helpful!

June 1st is the 1st day I can submit AMCAS.
Should I just then wait to submit till I come back?

You guys are so helpful!

You should submit your primary app on the earliest date possible. Don't wait a month when you get back. If you're going away for that long, however, you will most likely receive an invite to send in your secondary application when you're away- which generally requires you to write an essay, input personal information, and submit a fee. Depending on the school, you will be asked to complete your secondary online or snail mail it with a check. Also some schools have deadlines for secondary app submission that are within two weeks (ie. Northwestern)... Again, if you're planning to apply through EDP and will be abroad without access to the internet (like you said), it's definitely a bad move.

If you wait to submit when you get back, instead of being verified nearly immediately if you were to submit AMCAS in June, you might not be verified until after your school's EDP deadline (I'm not sure how that works).

For example, people who submitted AMCAS within the first couple of days of it opening were verified 2-3 days later. I submitted AMCAS in July 18 and didn't get verified until August 6th.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably submit AMCAS before I leave on my trip just to get it verified ASAP.

Well since you can only apply to ONE program ED, why don't you just contact that program and find out when their EDP deadlines are for the primary and secondary apps and when they'll be conducting interviews and see how that correlates with your vacation plans.