Goodbye U of Miami School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davidthegnome

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its now officially Leonard P. Miller School of Medicine. Its amazing what a 100 million dollar donation can get you. Think how disappointed the guy who donated 50 mill and probably only got a wing of a building is.

Members don't see this ad.

With $5, can I get a microscope named after me?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pembleton said:
With $5, can I get a microscope named after me?

No. $5 is way too low for a microscope. that could put you in the tiolet seat cover/femine product despenser catagory though.

that actually seems pretty inexpensive to get a med school named after you. $150 million only bought Sidney Kimmel a Cancer Center at Hopkins, and $120 million only got Michael Bloomberg a School of Public Health

exmike said:
that actually seems pretty inexpensive to get a med school named after you. $150 million only bought Sidney Kimmel a Cancer Center at Hopkins, and $120 million only got Michael Bloomberg a School of Public Health

Not to diss U Miami, but it just isnt on the level of Johns Hopkins. Kimmel and Bloomberg were shopping at Prada, while Miller was shopping at Macy's.

SanDiegoSOD said:
Not to diss U Miami, but it just isnt on the level of Johns Hopkins. Kimmel and Bloomberg were shopping at Prada, while Miller was shopping at Macy's.

I dont think our university president cares, she saw an offer and she jumped on it. Ewww.... I feel dirty, anyone have a cigarette? :scared:

SanDiegoSOD, is your avatar a dachshund puppy in a hotdog roll?!?!?! :eek: Damn... I should have taken a picture like that with my dachshunds when they were puppies. :laugh:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/12/06/med.school.donor.ap/index.html

Miami medical school gets $100 million

Monday, December 6, 2004 Posted: 10:26 PM EST (0326 GMT)

MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- The University of Miami School of Medicine announced its largest donation ever Monday: $100 million from the family of a construction magnate who died in 2002.

University President Donna Shalala said the medical school has been renamed the Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine in his honor.

"This generous gift will lead us into a new era of scientific discovery and medical breakthroughs that will benefit our South Florida community and beyond," said Dean Colson, chairman of the University of Miami Board of Trustees.

Miller, a native of New Bedford, Massachusetts, moved to Miami and started a construction company with a $10,000 investment in 1954. That company became Lennar Corp., now a Fortune 500 company with $8.9 billion in 2003 sales.

Miller served on the university's board of trustees for 20 years. He was treated by the medical school's doctors at Jackson Memorial Hospital for liver cancer before he died.

David Geffen donated 200 million to get UCLA School of Medicine named after him. That was the single largest private donation ever made to a medical school.

Arsenic,

sorry for getting off topic, but I can't seem to get an answer - can you elaborate on the grading system at U Miami. I am pretty sure that I will be attending, but want to learn a bit more about the system. My understanding is that grades are percentiles. Something like top 2%, 5%, etc. What are the "buckets" exactly (2, 5, 10, 25, 50%?)

Most people seem to think that this system sucks, does it sound worse than it truly is?

Thanks in advance.

flash said:
Arsenic,

sorry for getting off topic, but I can't seem to get an answer - can you elaborate on the grading system at U Miami. I am pretty sure that I will be attending, but want to learn a bit more about the system. My understanding is that grades are percentiles. Something like top 2%, 5%, etc. What are the "buckets" exactly (2, 5, 10, 25, 50%?)

Most people seem to think that this system sucks, does it sound worse than it truly is?

Thanks in advance.

I am not Arsenic, but I think I can help ya. There are no "percentiles" per say, we have a honors, pass, fail system, but it is different from other schools, in that your Transcript still shows your percentage and class average. So technically, it isn't even a pass/fail system.

I hope that helps. If not, well Arsenic can explain. I know him, he is a pretty sharp guy :D

flash said:
Arsenic,

Thanks in advance.

Flash,

We go by a quartile system. They tell you its pass fail, but thats just not true. Top quartile, top half, top 3/4s and the bottom quartile. To be quite honest, I'm not a fan of the system. I'm doing well as far as quartiles go, but I think it fosters a kind of competitiveness that just isn't necessary for medical school. I mean on our anatomy module for example my midterm grade was around a 99%, and I'm only top 30 in the class (out of 160). I'm not trying to scare you, the tests weren't that hard...but I think if there was no class ranking, the curve would be much better, and people would start learning and stop studying for tests.

Other than that, the school is great. great research opportunities, great faculty, great administration, great city, great nightlife. i love it.

Tristero said:
Flash,

We go by a quartile system. They tell you its pass fail, but thats just not true. Top quartile, top half, top 3/4s and the bottom quartile. To be quite honest, I'm not a fan of the system. I'm doing well as far as quartiles go, but I think it fosters a kind of competitiveness that just isn't necessary for medical school. I mean on our anatomy module for example my midterm grade was around a 99%, and I'm only top 30 in the class (out of 160). I'm not trying to scare you, the tests weren't that hard...but I think if there was no class ranking, the curve would be much better, and people would start learning and stop studying for tests.

Other than that, the school is great. great research opportunities, great faculty, great administration, great city, great nightlife. i love it.

Exactly, the UMiami grading system was really the only negative that I considered when I made my decision to come here. Everything else is perfect, I love this place!

You just have to study your ass off and do your best, something I would have done at whatever med school I had chosen. The quartile grading system just puts a little more pressure on you to do that. When I started in August I thought that the competition was going to be intense. So far just about everyone has actually been really nice. Its probably because we were all traumatized by the volume of course work in the beginning and when you're traumatized, its easy to make freinds with others who are going through the exact same thing. :)

we got the "Lerner" in our school's name because some guy who was head at MBNA and died left $100 million to Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine.

Thats a hella money considering only 32 people are in the program....ha

Arsenic810 said:
SanDiegoSOD, is your avatar a dachshund puppy in a hotdog roll?!?!?! :eek: Damn... I should have taken a picture like that with my dachshunds when they were puppies. :laugh:

I honestly dont know what breed of dog this is, but it was sure tasty! :laugh: :smuggrin:

Uegis said:
David Geffen donated 200 million to get UCLA School of Medicine named after him. That was the single largest private donation ever made to a medical school.

That's right after Keck donated USC $110 million to get Keck School of Medicine.

dr.z said:
That's right after Keck donated USC $110 million to get Keck School of Medicine.

You can call a skunk by any other name, but it would still be a skunk.

Arsenic810 said:
Yeah, I'm awesome. :laugh: NFlow is one of my anatomy lab partners, she's pretty cool too. :cool:

:laugh: :laugh: