Goodpasture's vs Wegener's Granulomatosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duchenne's

I Think I Have DMD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for differentiating Goodpasture's dz from Wegener's Granulomatosis on Step 1?

Any "giveaways" we can look for in the question stem? Or will they always provide the things like c-anca, anti-basement membrane antibody, etc.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Duchenne's said:
Does anyone have any suggestions for differentiating Goodpasture's dz from Wegener's Granulomatosis on Step 1?

Any "giveaways" we can look for in the question stem? Or will they always provide the things like c-anca, anti-basement membrane antibody, etc.

Thanks!

hmm. what about.

the crescentic GN in wegeners will be pauci-immune, and you may find giant cell granulomas. i believe goodpastures has no giant cells, and of course isnt pauciimmune. oh and goodpastures is young men. dunno about wegeners

Duchenne's said:

Thanks!

also, i think they will give other symptoms of wegener's like the nosebleeds, etc... and the c-anca would help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wegener's: Respiratory signs and symptoms, especially involving sinuses like sinusitis
Non-caseating Granuloma
C-ANCA

Goodpasture's: Most important Hemoptysis and hematuria
Also all the other signs associated w/ nephritic syndrome like hypertension oliguria, RBC casts, etc

And the tx for Wegener's is Cyclophosphamide, that's how you remember C-ANCA they both start with C.

chintu said:
And the tx for Wegener's is Cyclophosphamide, that's how you remember C-ANCA they both start with C.

The treatment for both Wegener's and PAN is cyclophosphamide, that's how I remember both of them! Both vasculitides, both cyclophosphamide.