Goofiest thing you've seen a fellow pre-med do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheZaLord

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sparked by my most recent finals experience:

Younger kid in my class asked the prof. during our last class if he could take the final either a little earlier or a little later. His reason- his birthday is the day before the final, he's turning 21, and he wanted to party.

Professor says no, you need to just be responsible and save your partying for the weekend, or after his test.
Dude is clearly disappointed, but says ok.

Fast forward to day of the test. This kid comes in with a cut over his eyebrow, semi-bandaged, looks to still be bleeding, and what he later confirmed to be residue from vomit on his shirt, and looks just plain dirty. So, he went out anyway- which, whatever, but for so long it seems he didn't even have the time (or inclination) to clean up before the test. Fortunately, he sat well away from the rest of us (I just assume by his look he may have smelled some), but took the test like that.

The girl I study with sometimes just texted me. He's still planning on asking that prof. for a letter of recommendation. She said she asked him, "Don't you think he probably finds you unprofessional?" And the guy says, "No, he'll see I can still fulfill my obligations while enjoying my life."

o_O

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 17 users
Dude walked into class the other day in full surgical scrubs and then commenced to loudly talk about how cool his job was and how he worked in said department in X position.... What is killer is that I work in that department and am over the employees of X position at the hospital he was talking about. Long story short he doesn't work there. :eyebrow: Dude must have really wanted some attention or something

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users
Dude walked into class the other day in full surgical scrubs and then commenced to loudly talk about how cool his job was and how he worked in said department in X position.... What is killer is that I work in that department and am over the employees of X position at the hospital he was talking about. Long story short he doesn't work there. :eyebrow: Dude must have really wanted some attention something

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I saw one pre med not study for an exam once. That was insane.

Reactions: 26 users
Not use the search function

Edit: Sorry. It's been a long day at work so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I did search, didn't see anything come up. Are you talking about the funniest quotes one?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Some kid in freshman chemistry got so nervous he peed his pants and ran out of class during an exam.... never came back

Reactions: 13 users
Well, I do remember one time I was on an interview. I was chatting with some other interviewees and noticed I got an email -- my first med school acceptance! Of course I'm happy, and share the good news.
So this girl I'm talking to says "oh, I got in there too" with a pretty bored look on her face (This is a top 20 school). "But I'm waiting to hear back from, you know, better places."
Way to demean my accomplishments and be incredibly pretentious at the same time!

Reactions: 18 users
Not use the search function

Edit: Sorry. It's been a long day at work so far.

Eh, it happens. I guess it could have fit there, though. I just didn't want to limit it to silly things said.

Well, I do remember one time I was on an interview. I was chatting with some other interviewees and noticed I got an email -- my first med school acceptance! Of course I'm happy, and share the good news.
So this girl I'm talking to says "oh, I got in there too" with a pretty bored look on her face (This is a top 20 school). "But I'm waiting to hear back from, you know, better places."
Way to demean my accomplishments and be incredibly pretentious at the same time!
I got my first acceptance at an interview too hahaha

We were eating lunch when I got the email and I naturally started celebrating, and the other interviewees were less than amused. Best part is that I will be going to the school where this happened, so I have a few classmates that have that spectacle of emotion as their first impression of me.

Some kid in freshman chemistry got so nervous he peed his pants and ran out of class during an exam.... never came back

:eek:

I used to have anxiety dreams about that sort of thing as a kid.

Reactions: 1 users

bonus if she was overheard and the current place she was interviewing put her in the reject pile, plus called that school so they could rescind her offer

things like that have happened

Reactions: 2 users
This isn't one specific person, but I'm getting real tired of all the premeds ordering white coats online and wearing them to class.

Worse yet, some even get them embroidered...

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
bonus if she was overheard and the current place she was interviewing put her in the reject pile, plus called that school so they could rescind her offer

things like that have happened

I've never seen this. Quite jealous actually.

Edit: jealous that you've witnessed it, not that I want an embroidered white coat for class.

This isn't one specific person, but I'm getting real tired of all the premeds ordering white coats online and wearing them to class.

oh noooo this is a thing??

What!? Does no one say anything to them? I know at my school they would be publicly laughed at by all (professors and students). There would be no way that trend would be allowed to continue at my school. Lol.

This one person got accepted to med school and promptly set up a gofundme page to fund their education, with the complete "it's always been my dream, etc.," biography - already set on ortho. Less than 100$ of the 300k goal thus far, good luck! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
People like that are the reason I often consider walloping myself in the head with a hammer so that I wouldn't have to witness the regression of humankind any further.

My pre-med class is crazy competitive, I prefer to hang with pre-dent and business majors
Example:
To become a TA for our Gross Anatomy lab, we have to sign up / volunteer to show high school students our gross lab
The day the signup sheets were posted, some crazy pre-med girl signed up for literally every slot (probably 40 hours worth over 2 weeks)
Each 1 hour time slot allowed for 6 students to sign up, so she basically screwed over the other 80 students in the class trying to volunteer

Best part = a week later she scribbled out her name for 80% of her time slots

Reactions: 4 users
My pre-med class is crazy competitive, I prefer to hang with pre-dent and business majors
Example:
To become a TA for our Gross Anatomy lab, we have to sign up / volunteer to show high school students our gross lab
The day the signup sheets were posted, some crazy pre-med girl signed up for literally every slot (probably 40 hours worth over 2 weeks)
Each 1 hour time slot allowed for 6 students to sign up, so she basically screwed over the other 80 students in the class trying to volunteer

Best part = a week later she scribbled out her name for 80% of her time slots

What a bitch

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone else just not talk to other premeds? You guys are all so damn corny about everything.

Reactions: 10 users
Does anyone else just not talk to other premeds? You guys are all so damn corny about everything.
I use to not talk to any of the premeds (esp since I am a psych major, so I'm an "outsider"). They use to annoy me so much. However, now that I'm about to apply and going through all the stress of application season I've noticed I only talk to other premeds since they can actually understand what I'm going through.

Mostly the people on SDN really. Most pre meds I've met irl have been quite normal

With the exception of two people, I don't communicate with anyone in my classes.
Most of them are younger, though. Not that I'm old- but it's crazy how different people 4-5 years apart are at this time.

Constantly seeing snapchats of them "studying" for the MCAT but this is their 3rd time retaking the exam.. :rolleyes:

Usually the people who study the most are not so vocal about it and constantly posting to social media..

Reactions: 5 users
the irony is that while it is ridiculous and presumptuous to take it upon yourself to buy a white coat and even embroider it before the white coat ceremony, it's not unreasonable or unusual to want to get a second coat if your school like most only gives you one

call me crazy, but it is actually a good thing to wash that coat more than once during the 4 years and sure you can wash it and dry it all in one night but still

This one person got accepted to med school and promptly set up a gofundme page to fund their education, with the complete "it's always been my dream, etc.," biography - already set on ortho. Less than 100$ of the 300k goal thus far, good luck! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I dunno if it's just me but people using Go Fund Me for stuff like that really bothers me. Like we all had to pay our own college tuition, why should I give you my money to pay yours? I've seen people ask for money for vacations, too.

Anyways, why are there none of these people at my school? I've never seen anyone come to class in scrubs/a white coat, but I would love to witness that.

I dunno if it's just me but people using Go Fund Me for stuff like that really bothers me. Like we all had to pay our own college tuition, why should I give you my money to pay yours? I've seen people ask for money for vacations, too.

Anyways, why are there none of these people at my school? I've never seen anyone come to class in scrubs/a white coat, but I would love to witness that.
I had a lab partner who would wear her boyfriend's white coat to cell biology lab... Be thankful you never witnessed that.

I had a lab partner who would wear her boyfriend's white coat to cell biology lab... Be thankful you never witnessed that.

Lol I'm such a gossipy person, I would love to have someone like that to gossip about.

the irony is that while it is ridiculous and presumptuous to take it upon yourself to buy a white coat and even embroider it before the white coat ceremony, it's not unreasonable or unusual to want to get a second coat if your school like most only gives you one

call me crazy, but it is actually a good thing to wash that coat more than once during the 4 years and sure you can wash it and dry it all in one night but still
Buying yourself an extra one is a lot different than buying one while you're still premed and wearing to your biochem lecture.

Y'all go to school with some crazy people. By and large, the premeds I know are nothing like this. I once saw someone fill in a scantron in pen, get reprimanded by the proctor, then go back to his seat and once again fill in the scantron in pen. So that was pretty funny. I've never once seen someone wear a lab coat in public. I do have a lab coat with my name on it because my PI gets everybody one, which is pretty cool.

Reactions: 5 users
Y'all go to school with some crazy people. By and large, the premeds I know are nothing like this. I once saw someone fill in a scantron in pen, get reprimanded by the proctor, then go back to his seat and once again fill in the scantron in pen. So that was pretty funny. I've never once seen someone wear a lab coat in public. I do have a lab coat with my name on it because my PI gets everybody one, which is pretty cool.

Lol someone in my high school pre-calc class did that on the final. My teacher said, "He got the F he deserved."

I'm an anatomy lab TA and I got sick of people accidentally grabbing my coat so I hand-stitched my initials on the pocket...but I have a feeling that's not what we're talking about. Also, it would be hard to mistake my slightly lopsided, bright purple initials for anything official

On another note: I took orgo with this guy who did all his exams in pen. I was terrified on his behalf, since he seemed so unconcerned

I'm an anatomy lab TA and I got sick of people accidentally grabbing my coat so I hand-stitched my initials on the pocket...but I have a feeling that's not what we're talking about. Also, it would be hard to mistake my slightly lopsided, bright purple initials for anything official

On another note: I took orgo with this guy who did all his exams in pen. I was terrified on his behalf, since he seemed so unconcerned
I have a very "punny" name so I actually don't like putting my name on things because it invites a barrage of puns. I could never take an orgo exam in pen because I'm so particular about how I draw everything.

Dude walked into class the other day in full surgical scrubs and then commenced to loudly talk about how cool his job was and how he worked in said department in X position.... What is killer is that I work in that department and am over the employees of X position at the hospital he was talking about. Long story short he doesn't work there. :eyebrow: Dude must have really wanted some attention or something
My alma mater is flooded with premeds, but ive never seen this absurd level of attention seeking before.

The worst was when someone come into physio lab with an embroidered lab coat that had her name and 'premed' on it.

I have a very "punny" name so I actually don't like putting my name on things because it invites a barrage of puns. I could never take an orgo exam in pen because I'm so particular about how I draw everything.

Dude, I took all my undergrad exams in pen if it wasn't scantron. I can't stand writing with pencil once I got used to G2 pens lol

My calc professor looked at me like I was a madman and my orgo teacher did the same

Dude, I took all my undergrad exams in pen if it wasn't scantron. I can't stand writing with pencil once I got used to G2 pens lol

My calc professor looked at me like I was a madman and my orgo teacher did the same

As a lefty- even trying not to drag it, I end up with a stained hand.
I have to use pencil or all the smudgey can't be cleaned up. Easier to wash off too.

My alma mater is flooded with premeds, but ive never seen this absurd level of attention seeking before.

The worst was when someone come into physio lab with an embroidered lab coat that had her name and 'premed' on it.
Say it isn't so... Where do these people come from and where can I witness some of this buffoonery?

Say it isn't so... Where do these people come from and where can I witness some of this buffoonery?

ALSO, I'm really not trying to be mean, but really...I'm sure at least a few of these people don't make it into med school at all.
What do they do with it/how do they look back on it in those cases?

I mean, I look back on some clothing or hair choices as recent as a couple of years ago and am a little embarrassed.

Having this coat- as a representation of all your aspirations, then not making it- and having this physical reminder around, probably in pictures.
Got to be painful.

I prefer to keep things in a place where I only have to bury/purge emotionally.

Damn those benzene rings...

Most of these people come from southern california. :smack:
That reminds me of when I randomly met this guy at a bar in Seattle. This was a few years ago. We started talking about how I wanted to go to med school and he happened to be at SGU... Didn't know what that implied at the time. He said he was shocked that he didn't get more acceptances because he thought simply going to USC and graduating with good grades was enough to get him in to Keck.

Being on SDN makes you forget that not everyone who applies to med school is as informed as the majority of folks on here.

Lol you're witnessing it every time that some SDN newbie posts a thread asking if they should go Caribbean

Get into a relationship with a professor to salvage their horrid grade in a pre-req course. :eek::laugh: