1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Googles!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by tinker bell, Aug 16, 2002.

1. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Googles!

Hi, I got your pm concerning about trigs. I have lots of tricks and all my classmates agree that they are extremely helpful. I'm just wondering where do you live? If you are in the bay area, CA, we can meet and all it takes is 30 min to show you all that tricks. They are extremely easy.
    And if you do not reside in CA, let me know. So, I'll try to write the explaination down.
    T

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Do you mind sharing with the rest of us?? You can PM me if you can. i really appreciate it.

DesiDentist

4. portlander

portlander Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes, yes!

Help with trig!! Please post anything you have that will help me remember!

5. teething

teething Member
    7+ Year Member

Tinker Bell,

I sent you a PM. Please check it out!

6. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Okay,
    I understand that you'll all have DAT coming up soon. But trig my way takes only 30 min to do. So, don't stress out. Relax, chill. I'll post all those tricks I have on Tuesday morning (Pacific time). Study ochem and bio, they are more difficult than trig on the real DAT
    I'm sorry that I am so busy right now to concentrate. But best of luck with your studying
    Sincerely
    T

7. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

There weren't that many trig questions on my test. However, in term of DAT, I don't think that they will ever ask anything above and beyond.
    This is what I think can come up:
    sin=opp/hyp csc=1/sin
    cos=adj/hyp. sec= 1/cos

Then for tan and cot, just remember that tan=sin/cos and
    cot=cos/sin
    Then, csc has 2 c in it, and it doesn't need any more c on the other side, so, csc=1/sin. And of course, sec should pair with cos

You guys should also know all the special right triangles.. Practice to find sin and cos of the two acute angles.

For the values of the sin, cos, tan, cot. Follow those easy steps:
    1. Write the angle in degree :
    0 30 45 60 90

2. Write 0 to 4 under those number:
    0 1 2 3 4

3. Square root these number and divide it by two:

sin 0 1/2 sqrt2/2 sqrt3/2 1

4. For cosine, it's the opposite of sine. Do a bow tie cross between 0 and 90 degree, 30 and 60 degree. cos and sin of 45 degrees are the same.

cos 1 sqrt3/2 sqrt2/2 1/2 0

5. Then, tan=sin/cos.

tan 0 sqrt3/3 1 sqrt3 undefined

6. Again, cot is the opposite of tan for 0 and 90 degree, 30 and 60 degree. cot and tan of 45 degree are also the same.

cot undefined sqrt3 1 sqrt3/3 0

By now, you should have a table with all the values of sin, cos, tan and cot for 0, 30, 60, 90
    You guys should always write this table down at your tutorial section and keep this scratch paper to use in the math section.
    There will be an occasion that you need to know tan60=? So, all you need to do is to glance at the table, no sweat, right?

Another thing I find helpful when I studied the DAT with Topscore, there were 1 trig question asked about the sign of cot.
    You should always think of the circle.
    With radius=1 and center at O. The y-axis is sin, x-axis is cos.
    For example, if the angle is 290 degree, is cot<0 or cot>0?
    290 degree angle will lie in the fourth quadrant. So, sin value will be negative and cos will be positive. Therefore, cot290<0

And remember, in the worst case scenario that you have a thunder sent trig question, don' t panic. Draw the trig circle out. Write sin and cos axis, Write -1 and 1 on the two sides of the circle. Draw your angle and analyze the question. But I don't think it will ever happen on any standardized test.

Finally, remember STATISTICS? I have this shortcut equation:
    1. To find the variance:

(Sum of squares of sample measurement)- (Sum
    of sample measurement)square/n
    s-square=-----------------------------------------------------------
    n
    So, it means that first of all, you square all of the numbers in the sample and add them up.
    Then, you add all of those numbers, square them up and divide by n.
    Substract the first value to the second value, you will get the nominator.
    Lastly, divide the nominator to the number of numbers you have in the sample, this value is denoted as n in the equation.
    You get the variance now.

2. Standard deviation is s, which is the square root of variance.

3. Mode: number that comes up the most.

4. Median: the middle number in order.

Kaplan CD has a very good problem regarding the Variance, standard deviation and average. Check them out before taking the test. They are easy questions and can be answered in a few seconds.

Happy studying, and if you guys have any more questions, please feel free to post. I'll try my best if I could. And good luck to all of you.

T

8. Viraj

Viraj Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

There weren't that many trig questions on my test. However, in term of DAT, I don't think that they will ever ask anything above and beyond.
    This is what I think can come up:
    sin=opp/hyp csc=1/sin
    cos=adj/hyp. sec= 1/cos

Just a pneumonic for Trig values----- Some People Have Curly Brown Hair Through Proper Brushin... In this sentence all the Capitalized letters denote Sin theta = Perpendicular/Hyp,, Cos theta = Base/Hyp... Tan theta = Perpendicular/Base

Another thing I find helpful when I studied the DAT with Topscore, there were 1 trig question asked about the sign of cot.
    You should always think of the circle.
    With radius=1 and center at O. The y-axis is sin, x-axis is cos.
    For example, if the angle is 290 degree, is cot<0 or cot>0?
    290 degree angle will lie in the fourth quadrant. So, sin value will be negative and cos will be positive. Therefore, cot290<0

Just Remember this pnemonic for this problem--- All Silver Tea Cups ----- which indicates that in First Quadrant that is 0 degree to 90 degrees All Trig Functions have value greater than or equal to zero,,, In Second Quadrant that is between 91 degrees to 180 degrees Only Sin Function will have value of greater than or equal to zero ---- In Third Quadrant that is between 181 degrees to 270 degress Only Tan Functions will have value greater than or equal to zero------ In Fourth Quadrant that is between 271 degrees to 360 degree Only Cosine Functions will have vale greater than or equal to zero

I hope this doesn't confuse anybody, but this is just few hints that I learnt when I was in Highschool and they really came handy in DAT

9. DesiDentist

Dentist
    thanks a whole lot tinker bell and Viraj.

:D

DesiDentist

10. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

u'r welcome, desi. I was trying to PM you earlier but your mailbox is fulled so I couldn't. Let me know when I can send it again.
    Tink

11. DesiDentist

Dentist
    okay I cleared my mailbox. Got a ton of messages today. You could also email me at:

[email protected]

Thanks a whole bunch.

DesiDentist