DO Goose Already Cooked? Withdraw and Retake Later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NontradPreDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will try to keep this short. Feedback greatly appreciated:

I am a nontrad. I graduated college about 10 years ago with a cumulative GPA of 2.7. I decided to first take College Algebra this semester before diving into Chemistry, Physics, etc. I just had a baby in June and I am finding that 40 hours of full-time work plus a new baby plus a demanding Math class plus, I will be honest, a bout of postpartum depression is quite overwhelming. I get the material, but my professor goes very fast and I really am struggling with finding tutors who are available outside of my full-time job.

We have our first test on Thursday and I am already doubting my ability to get an A this semester. I know that I could if my circumstances were different and DO school is something I really, really want. I am weighing my options of withdrawing and trying again next semester, when my baby is older and I can finagle a part-time work situation with my current employer or find a different part-time job that allows me more time.

But, with my CURRENT undergrad GPA of 2.7 and science GPA something like 1.4, I realize I don't have a lot of room for error. Is it going to look bad that I withdrew from College Algebra with a W and retook it? Am I already screwed even if I take it at a later date and get an A?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on your school's timeline, I would consider taking the exam and see how you do. Maybe you are underestimating your ability to do well. If you take it (and hopefully at least pass), but don't do as well as you hoped, then maybe consider a W.

@Dral, thank you for the advice. I think I will take the exam and see what happens. My class started a month before I had to go back to work after maternity leave, and at that time I had an A...now I am sitting at about a C :/ before this first exam...I feel very stupid for taking on too much with a new baby, months of sleep deprivation, and a demanding full-time job. May I ask a follow up? If I do withdraw, and then retake and get and A or B, and then continue on with my prereqs, etc...when I do apply to DO schools, is that W in Algebra and the subsequent A or B going to possibly cause them to pass on me since I was only taking ONE class? Is that something I could explain on my app...new baby, full-time work, etc.? Are adcoms generally understanding about Ws due to extenuating life circumstances? Again, I probably jumped the gun here and I accept that, I was just so excited to start working on my prereqs.