Goro’s advice for DO applicants in the absence of grade replacement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You want the equivalent of a typical college semester's worth of grades, say 14-17 credits/semester x2-3 semesters.

Yes, speak to the Dean of Admissions.

Are there any certain number of upper-division science courses, or perhaps a list that most folks in my shoes tend to take, in order to be competitive? I assume there is a limit to how far one would want to go with the DIY route, given the desire to keep costs at least somewhat manageable, haha!

I swear, I just want to slap the 19-year-old version of myself upside the head.

Her name was Janet, and her title on the UWSOM website is listed only as "Admissions."

Should I speak with a Dean, or Associate Dean of Admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, am I correct in assuming I should leave the two Gen Chem courses alone and take my C+ grades for what they are? As could be expected, I was somewhat banking on DO school grade replacement, before the announcement. Now that replacement is an afterthought, cost benefit analysis tells me that the bucks and time aren't worth retaking those two Chemistry courses.

And furthermore, I do have a few failed courses in my arsenal of madness. Should I consider retaking to average those out, or is the GPA increase not worth it?

You want the equivalent of a typical college semester's worth of grades, say 14-17 credits/semester x2-3 semesters.

Yes, speak to the Dean of Admissions.

Perfect. Thank you Goro.

Any recommendation as to where I might find a decent layout of the kind of courses I'd want to take?

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm, college course catalogs? I've already suggested what upper level science courses to take.

I better go back through the thread. It's probably right there in the beginning. I've been doing so much reading, calling and note-jotting today, I've probably seen it and don't recall where. Don't want to make you repeat yourself, so I'll do some checking.

Thanks again.

Based on the response and advice listed by Goro, should I not apply to medical school if my gpa land on 2.8 without grade replacement? Also, should I not bother to retake a Gen Chem 1 course that I received a C?

Hey Goro.

I just read the entire thread again, and I only saw mention of Histology, Anatomy w/Lab and Neuroscience. I'm not expecting it all to be laid out for me, but I obviously don't want to take courses that adcoms won't see as medical school level. You mentioned 14-17 credits/semester for 2-3 semesters, so that adds up to quite a few courses. I'm just trying to make sure I don't make any mistakes. I'm guessing I just try and mimic the coursework of an SMP that is held in high regard?

EDIT: I believe I've found the info I'm looking for. Just a quick visit to UT Southwestern's Medical School page offered an array of courses taken by first year med students.

Last edited:
@Goro

Sorry, I have to use the Goro signal light again (certainly will not be my last).

My numbers as of now 3.18 c/3.0 s, this includes a 4.0 in 19 credits of sciences so far. What would the best option to take?

1. Continue working clinical related job. Study for the Mcat and take the test spring 2018 and start a BMS at a DO school fall 2018.

Or

2. Take and ace 26 additional credit hours of upper level sciences to raise GPAs to 3.2c/3.2s (#s still circling the drain as you would say). Study for the Mcat and try to get a decent score after post-bac classes.

After much thought/discuss with SO I have decided that I will not be a penny pincher and that I am willing to take on additional loans.

Highly appreciate your advice as always.

I think that this will get you faster to where you want to go. Aceing the remaining 26 credits, and MCAT gets you into reinvention territory for some MD schools (especially your state school). But even with the 3.2 cGPA, and a decent MCAT will land lots of DO love.

2. Take and ace 26 additional credit hours of upper level sciences to raise GPAs to 3.2c/3.2s (#s still circling the drain as you would say). Study for the Mcat and try to get a decent score after post-bac classes.

After much thought/discuss with SO I have decided that I will not be a penny pincher and that I am willing to take on additional loans.

Highly appreciate your advice as always.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro

So I've been reviewing my transcripts further and came to the realization that I need an additional term of the General Chem series. Having initially attended a school using the quarter system, I took Chem 1 and 2 but failed to realize that medical schools are often looking for a year of these courses. When not looking for a year, they want either 8 semester hours or 12 quarter hours.

Since I am lacking both a year of General Chemistry (Chem 3 would complete the series), while also lacking the proper amount of quarter hours (I have 10 and need 12), what would you recommend as the best course of action, to take care of this? I ask because it has been so long since I took Chem 1 and 2 (15+ years), yet one is typically advised not to retake courses they've already passed with a C or higher. I earned a C+ in both Chem 1 and 2, but would it even be wise to take Chem 3 without retaking Chem 1 and/or 2, to be prepared for Chem 3? Is it better to retake the entire General Chem series, or would brushing up on General Chem via some sort of review and then knocking out the final course int he General Chem series be a better move? I've got Berkeley Review General Chem books, as well as General Chem as a 2nd Language, in case those are options you'd recommend instead of retakes.

Lastly, would it be fine to take a semester of Chem 2 instead of a quarter of Chem 3, to complete the year? I assume so since Chem 1 and 2 in a quarter system would cover more than Chem 1 in a semester system. Still, I figured I'd better be sure so that whatever I end up doing, I don't waste time or money. At this point, it's easier for me to take a semester of General Chem online than it is for me to find a quarter of General Chem that I can attend in class, with my work schedule and the course schedules of local colleges I've looked into.

Thanks in advance for any help. I appreciate it.

Just take a year of chem

Okay cool. That's what I had jotted down in my personal course planner, but wanted to make sure you wouldn't advise me to just review and take the last section of General Chem.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro

Do you think it would be a better move to audit the first semester of General Chemistry since I got a C+ in the first two sections of quarter-based chemistry, or would you take it for a grade? The courses I can find online for Gen Chem 1 are all 5-week summer courses, and I don't want to try and force it in.

When I can take General Chem 1 for a full 16-week semester, it typically conflicts with other courses I will be taking, so I'd end up taking too many classes at once while working full-time. When it doesn't conflict with other courses, I end up not being able to take General Chem 1 and 2 back-to-back, so there would be a year-long break between taking these two courses. Doesn't seem like the best way to get ready for General Chemistry 2, but maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

I've never audited a course, so I don't know if it would help as much as taking it for a grade, but thought I'd give you a shot and see what your thoughts are.

The value of auditing is that it helps you see if you can handle the material, and doesn't affect your grade. The cost is time.

@Goro

Do you think it would be a better move to audit the first semester of General Chemistry since I got a C+ in the first two sections of quarter-based chemistry, or would you take it for a grade? The courses I can find online for Gen Chem 1 are all 5-week summer courses, and I don't want to try and force it in.

When I can take General Chem 1 for a full 16-week semester, it typically conflicts with other courses I will be taking, so I'd end up taking too many classes at once while working full-time. When it doesn't conflict with other courses, I end up not being able to take General Chem 1 and 2 back-to-back, so there would be a year-long break between taking these two courses. Doesn't seem like the best way to get ready for General Chemistry 2, but maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

I've never audited a course, so I don't know if it would help as much as taking it for a grade, but thought I'd give you a shot and see what your thoughts are.

The value of auditing is that it helps you see if you can handle the material, and doesn't affect your grade. The cost is time.

Indeed. I guess whether I take it for a grade or audit it, it'll still cost me the same amount of time, true? Wouldn't it be a better decision to audit it, so that I grasp the material in preparation for Chem 2/MCAT, but don't have to worry about a grade or the financial cost? If you recommend taking a year of Chem again anyway, I figured auditing the course I already have a C+ in might be a better move. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Aaaaaah! I had no idea that auditing a course costs the same, and you just don't get a grade. Just looked it up. That definitely makes me rethink not getting the grade, especially when I'd darn well BETTER get better than a C+, now that I'm not a kid playing college football and ignoring my studies.

Hi @Goro ,

I am a Canadian who has a cGPA 3.2 and sGPA of 3.05 . I really blew 2 courses in my first year where I received a 30%. My 3rd and 4th year GPA are 3.5 and 3.85, respectively.
I have EC's that include volunteering at the renal dialysis unit, in the ER, with babies at a community clinic, ophthalmology retinal imaging, sports coaching and physician shadowing including MD and DO. I have letters of recommendation from a DO, an MD, 2 professors and a volunteer coordinator from the local hospital.

I have not yet taken the MCAT but am scheduled to write it in the near future. I wish to apply to next year's cycle. I also want to note that I specifically want to apply to DO schools as I quite enjoy the prospect of treating patients with OMM. There are schools in Canada that would only look at my last 2 years but I sincerely want to practice OMM with my patients in a primary-care field.

My questions to you are as follows:

Is it in my best interest to do a DIY post-bacc where I take the following courses?

Pathophys
Gross anatomy
Food and Nutrition
Molecular Virology
Immunology
Pharmacology

What MCAT score do I need to achieve this summer to be competitive (having aced the above courses)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Note that the GPAs above are without grade replacement and would be higher with it. Also note that after my first two years, I received all A- or higher excluding one C+ and one B. I also go to one of the larger, more reputable schools in Canada : University of BC.

Please do advise.

I think that it's worth applying while you are taking some of those courses, and if you get a good MCAT core (510+).

Hi @Goro ,

I am a Canadian who has a cGPA 3.2 and sGPA of 3.05 . I really blew 2 courses in my first year where I received a 30%. My 3rd and 4th year GPA are 3.5 and 3.85, respectively.
I have EC's that include volunteering at the renal dialysis unit, in the ER, with babies at a community clinic, ophthalmology retinal imaging, sports coaching and physician shadowing including MD and DO. I have letters of recommendation from a DO, an MD, 2 professors and a volunteer coordinator from the local hospital.

I have not yet taken the MCAT but am scheduled to write it in the near future. I wish to apply to next year's cycle. I also want to note that I specifically want to apply to DO schools as I quite enjoy the prospect of treating patients with OMM. There are schools in Canada that would only look at my last 2 years but I sincerely want to practice OMM with my patients in a primary-care field.

My questions to you are as follows:

Is it in my best interest to do a DIY post-bacc where I take the following courses?

Pathophys
Gross anatomy
Food and Nutrition
Molecular Virology
Immunology
Pharmacology

What MCAT score do I need to achieve this summer to be competitive (having aced the above courses)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Note that the GPAs above are without grade replacement and would be higher with it. Also note that after my first two years, I received all A- or higher excluding one C+ and one B. I also go to one of the larger, more reputable schools in Canada : University of BC.

Please do advise.

@Goro , thanks for the reply. Do you know of any SMP programs that are open to Canadian students? How does your school look at Canadian applicants?

Haven't a clue

My school only takes US citizens and green card holders. There are ~14 other schools that take internationals, especially MSUCOM and UNECOM.

@Goro , thanks for the reply. Do you know of any SMP programs that are open to Canadian students? How does your school look at Canadian applicants?

@Goro

For MD schools, my sGPA is 2.88 and cGPA is 2.75. For DO schools my sGPA is 3.16 and cGPA is of course still 2.75.

After taking all prereqs, my cGPA for both will be just under 3.0. If I take about 5 additional courses along with the prereqs, getting As in all of them, I can get to that 3.0 cGPA mark. These would be courses like Sociology, Psychology, Spanish and an extra Biology course, as examples. Stuff that allows me to pad my GPA a bit, but is still relevant (I especially want to learn Spanish, with the ever-changing demographic in America).

My question is, assuming my MCAT score is 30+ down the road, do you think it is worth it to go for the 3.0 GPA, or would my upward trend be enough that given a solid MCAT and taking care of prereqs, I'd have the same chances? I currently have a 3.82 GPA over the last 72.5 semester hours I've taken. I just screwed up majorly over a decade ago during undergrad.

Thanks for any insight. I just want to make sure that taking all of these extra courses to get to a 3.0 GPA won't be seen as a waste of money if schools are going to mostly look at MCAT, how I handle prereqs and upward trend.

I think that you'll have to be in school forever to get your cGPA > 3.0, so go with what you have now.

And schools are NOT going to look mostly at your MCAT.

@Goro

For MD schools, my sGPA is 2.88 and cGPA is 2.75. For DO schools my sGPA is 3.16 and cGPA is of course still 2.75.

After taking all prereqs, my cGPA for both will be just under 3.0. If I take about 5 additional courses along with the prereqs, getting As in all of them, I can get to that 3.0 cGPA mark. These would be courses like Sociology, Psychology, Spanish and an extra Biology course, as examples. Stuff that allows me to pad my GPA a bit, but is still relevant (I especially want to learn Spanish, with the ever-changing demographic in America).

My question is, assuming my MCAT score is 30+ down the road, do you think it is worth it to go for the 3.0 GPA, or would my upward trend be enough that given a solid MCAT and taking care of prereqs, I'd have the same chances? I currently have a 3.82 GPA over the last 72.5 semester hours I've taken. I just screwed up majorly over a decade ago during undergrad.

Thanks for any insight. I just want to make sure that taking all of these extra courses to get to a 3.0 GPA won't be seen as a waste of money if schools are going to mostly look at MCAT, how I handle prereqs and upward trend.

@Goro

With grade replacement, I'd be at a 3.05 cGPA and 3.74 sGPA before taking any prerequistes. I know grade replacement is a thing of the past but thought it might be extra info you could use to give me the best advice.

I think that you'll have to be in school forever to get your cGPA > 3.0, so go with what you have now.

Yeah, I hear you. It's gonna be 3 years of prereqs, so adding the other courses to get to 3.0 keeps me on that same 3 year timeline, if that changes anything. Or would you say screw the extras and just hit the prereqs and MCAT hard?

@Goro

Since you're fielding questions from Canadians, I wonder if you could offer any insight into my weird situation.

My undergrad cGPA is 3.1 and after 42 science credits of As, my sGPA is 2.9 With another 15 credit hours, my sGPA will be 3.0. My MCAT was 512 last time I wrote it, and I'm rewriting in July and am on-track to get 516-518 if the diagnostics are meaningful.

I've shadowed a physician for 100+ hours, volunteered at a campus clinic, done 300+ hours of research, and am pretty solid on ECs. Now here comes the weird part: I actually went to law school while doing all this GPA repair in the summers. It's a prestigious school, my grades are strong, and I've won academic awards. (Not sure how my law grades would be calculated into my GPA, so I'm not factoring them in.) Nonetheless, law isn't for me. Is my low GPA, my Canadian citizenship, and my unconventional academic path a complete dealbreaker for adcoms? Thanks in advance!

I know...I always feel bad asking all of these questions. I just want to make sure if I take all these extra classes on top of the prerequisites, it's going to count for something. If not, I may as well save the loot and effort.

I hate that I did so poorly in my first years of undergrad that I can earn a 3.82 over 72.5 credits, and still be at a freaking 2.75 GPA. Hindsight is 20/20 like a mutha right now! Geez!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What will they look at mostly? I was thinking the MCAT would factor in heavily because no school is going to like my GPA, regardless of upward trend. Or maybe I just feel that way. Trying to not to expect any favors.

And do you really think getting to that 3.0 won't make much of a difference versus being slightly under 3.0? I was planning on taking the extra classes along with the prerequisites, so it wouldn't extend my time before application. If you think those extra 5 classes are wasted money and effort, I'll definitely trust you on that. You know infinitely more than I do about the admissions process. I was just making sure you didn't think I was planning on taking those extra classes after getting prerequisites.

Thanks again. Once I clear this up, I'll have my schedule all ready to go and get started on immersing myself in these prerequisite sciences.

Here is the key statement that you yourself wrote:

I currently have a 3.82 GPA over the last 72.5 semester hours I've taken. I just screwed up majorly over a decade ago during undergrad.

Yeah, I hear you. It's gonna be 3 years of prereqs, so adding the other courses to get to 3.0 keeps me on that same 3 year timeline, if that changes anything. Or would you say screw the extras and just hit the prereqs and MCAT hard?

They will look at everything.

What will they look at mostly? I was thinking the MCAT would factor in heavily because no school is going to like my GPA, regardless of upward trend. Or maybe I just feel that way. Trying to not to expect any favors.

And do you really think getting to that 3.0 won't make much of a difference versus being slightly under 3.0? I was planning on taking the extra classes along with the prerequisites, so it wouldn't extend my time before application. If you think those extra 5 classes are wasted money and effort, I'll definitely trust you on that. You know infinitely more than I do about the admissions process. I was just making sure you didn't think I was planning on taking those extra classes after getting prerequisites.

Don't retake the MCAT if you're aiming for DO programs. Your law GPA is not factored in. Your academic path is problematic because you need to convince us that you're running to Medicine, and not merely away from Law. I have no experience with Canadians who reinvent, and suspect that this is an impossibility for US MD schools. But you should be OK for DO schools.

@Goro

Since you're fielding questions from Canadians, I wonder if you could offer any insight into my weird situation.

My undergrad cGPA is 3.1 and after 42 science credits of As, my sGPA is 2.9 With another 15 credit hours, my sGPA will be 3.0. My MCAT was 512 last time I wrote it, and I'm rewriting in July and am on-track to get 516-518 if the diagnostics are meaningful.

I've shadowed a physician for 100+ hours, volunteered at a campus clinic, done 300+ hours of research, and am pretty solid on ECs. Now here comes the weird part: I actually went to law school while doing all this GPA repair in the summers. It's a prestigious school, my grades are strong, and I've won academic awards. (Not sure how my law grades would be calculated into my GPA, so I'm not factoring them in.) Nonetheless, law isn't for me. Is my low GPA, my Canadian citizenship, and my unconventional academic path a complete dealbreaker for adcoms? Thanks in advance!

Thanks Goro. You've been a huge help to me. Sorry if some of my questions come off as repetitive. I know exactly what I need to do for now, and that gives me some peace of mind.

I can't stress enough how much I appreciate your insight. Thank you.

Last edited:
Your stats are fine for DO schools.

Take the MCAT only when you're 100% ready for it.

With a stellar post-bac GPA like that, also include your state MD school on the list, especially if you do score high > 510 on the mCAT.

Hey long time lurker here, first time poster.

My question is specifically about whether or not I should postpone my MCAT. I am scheduled to take it soon, and have been scoring consistently 507-508 on the practice exams. I am a non-trad student, I work as a software developer.

Did OK in undergrad for Engineering standards, but awful for med school standards. For MD, my cGPA is 3.14, sGPA 2.85 (a lot of botched math classes my first 2 years). For DO my sGPA is 3.15.

I am doing a DIY post-bacc, I have 34 credits (all chem/bio class) with 3.91 GPA.

Do you think with a 507-508 MCAT my chances are okay given my post bacc GPA and that I graduated over 6 years ago? Or should I postpone my MCAT and try to score higher with another month of studying? If I did this, I think I could still get my scores in just under the wire for a June application.

Other areas of my app are ok, I think. Good letters of rec and ample shadow/volunteer hours related to women's health, which is the field I am interested in.

I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to read all of this and reply. Thank you!

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this has already been brought up, but is it reasonable to suspect that the average cGPA and sGPA of students who Matriculate to DO schools will be lower next cycle with this new policy compared to previous cycles? my cGPA dropped to a 3.4 and my sGPA dropped to a 3.37 and my MCAT is 504. I have strong ECs and decent letters and plan to apply the day the cycle opens. Do I have a chance for DO schools? (i'm strictly applying to DO schools). thanks!

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this has already been brought up, but is it reasonable to suspect that the average cGPA and sGPA of students who Matriculate to DO schools will be lower next cycle with this new policy compared to previous cycles? my cGPA dropped to a 3.4 and my sGPA dropped to a 3.37 and my MCAT is 504. I have strong ECs and decent letters and plan to apply the day the cycle opens. Do I have a chance for DO schools? (i'm strictly applying to DO schools). thanks!
Yes. I think you have a good shot at some interviews with a well thought out school list and assuming you have the clinical/volunteer time to back your app up with

Start small and ease into it.

Goro, for the first time without grade replacement, do you think the GPA for the DO schools will drop by a lot or not much? If you did grade replacement, will they still take it into account? The reason is I went from 3.6 to 3.4 (3.2 science). I don't know how they plan to view that the first year? Thank you for your time.

I think that we will see a collective drop in GPAs, especially sGPAs.

I suspect that schools will judge you on your total performance, but pay more attention to the most recent grades.

Goro, for the first time without grade replacement, do you think the GPA for the DO schools will drop by a lot or not much? If you did grade replacement, will they still take it into account? The reason is I went from 3.6 to 3.4 (3.2 science). I don't know how they plan to view that the first year? Thank you for your time.

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro Someone earlier in this thread was mentioning the idea of going to the carrib. I'm personally not a fan of that route but I'm really confused regarding the MD/DO residency merger. I've read a lot about how this is going to be a good thing for DO's, which is great, but wont the IMG's now have a better chance of matching since with the merger they will have more spots to apply to? Care to shed some light on this topic, and reassure my preference for pursuing DO? Thanks for your time!

One of the reasons for the merger was to squeeze IMGs out. That bus is coming.

Don't even think about going to a Carib diploma mill unless you like the idea of being deeply in debt and driving for Uber, or working at Walmart.

There are only ~3000 current AOA residencies anyway.

@Goro Someone earlier in this thread was mentioning the idea of going to the carrib. I'm personally not a fan of that route but I'm really confused regarding the MD/DO residency merger. I've read a lot about how this is going to be a good thing for DO's, which is great, but wont the IMG's now have a better chance of matching since with the merger they will have more spots to apply to? Care to shed some light on this topic, and reassure my preference for pursuing DO? Thanks for your time!

Reactions: 6 users
@Goro

First of all, thanks for all the advice you give around here. It's definitely much appreciated. So in my situation, I graduated in 2014 and joined the military. I had 2 C's. One in O-chem 1 and O-chem 2. I'm doing somewhat of a DIY Post-bac to raise my GPA. I'm taking a Psych course right now with a CC that I'll get an A in. That's in-class. However, we may be going to panama shifts that may limit me to on-line courses. How does your school view those? I know most aren't fond of online courses. This CC offers a Survey of O-Chem 1 course as well. I know that wouldn't even replace my original O-Chem grade, but taking that as well would bring my cGPA up to a 3.4 and my sGPA up to a 3.3. I've taken quite a few upper level science courses when I was in UG. My options are limited as to what this CC offers and what I can actually take. Any suggestions/advice?

Reactions: 1 users
My own school is OK with online coursework as long as it's given by an accredited university.

You being in the military adds a lot of bonus points. So many thanks to you for your service to our country.

I can only recommend retaking the Orgo classes if you're hazy on the content and need it for MCAT. otherwise, just take more advanced Bio courses.

@Goro

First of all, thanks for all the advice you give around here. It's definitely much appreciated. So in my situation, I graduated in 2014 and joined the military. I had 2 C's. One in O-chem 1 and O-chem 2. I'm doing somewhat of a DIY Post-bac to raise my GPA. I'm taking a Psych course right now with a CC that I'll get an A in. That's in-class. However, we may be going to panama shifts that may limit me to on-line courses. How does your school view those? I know most aren't fond of online courses. This CC offers a Survey of O-Chem 1 course as well. I know that wouldn't even replace my original O-Chem grade, but taking that as well would bring my cGPA up to a 3.4 and my sGPA up to a 3.3. I've taken quite a few upper level science courses when I was in UG. My options are limited as to what this CC offers and what I can actually take. Any suggestions/advice?

Reactions: 7 users
At what GPA would you advise DIY post-bacc over an SMP?

I'm thinking if you're at 2.7-3.0 after re-takes, post-bacc with higher level sciences? And if you're 3.0-3.3 after re-takes, do SMP?

Hi, do SMP programs look at GPA after retakes or do they consider all grades (as AAMCAS usually does)?

Hi, do SMP programs look at GPA after retakes or do they consider all grades (as AAMCAS usually does)?
What would be the difference between the two? If they look at grades after retakes aren't they considering all grades? If you mean do they consider the most recent grades with higher weight then yes absolutely.

As I've posted before, I took a major hit with the grade replacement. With grade replacement, I would have had a 3.7+cGPA and a 3.4+sGPA. Without it, I have a 3.5+cGPA and a 3.25sGPA. However, I received multiple interview invites not this cycle, but the previous cycle with a 3.4+cGPA and a 3.0+sGPA and a 25 MCAT. So, I think I've put myself into a good enough position with my new GPAs after taking 21 credits between last fall and this spring (although 12 of them were repeated science classes, before the new policy changed). My last 54 science credits i have a 3.4+sGPA, the last 39 a 3.8+ sGPA, and the last 21 a 4.0 GPA. I've taken a total of 160 credits now, over half of them are science credits. I just have to study for the new MCAT and retake it, do better, and it will workout.

Just because the journey has been altered for us, doesn't mean we can't overcome this increased difficulty and become physicians!