Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.

Goro’s advice for DO applicants in the absence of grade replacement

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Goro, Jan 5, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Jumpyrice

Jumpyrice 2+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2015
    I'm not sure whether I should continue with DIY post bacc classes and possibly retake MCAT or go with an SMP such as EVMS, or LECOM's post bacc.
    What do you guys think?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

Apply broadly, especially targeting the newest DO schools.
    IF you live in a very lucky state (like KS, ND, SD, MS NM, etc) try your state school as well.
    Get a DO LOR as well.

4. kardom11

kardom11

Jul 26, 2017
    @Goro
    Got my mcat score back today. 505 (125/126/127/127).
    Do you think this will be competitive for DO application?

CJhooper123 likes this.
  5. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

Very! Send an app to my school...somewhere west of St Louis.

6. kardom11

kardom11

Jul 26, 2017
    Thank you! It's on its way out west!

7. BucketDoctor

BucketDoctor

Apr 29, 2016
    I just recently visited Pacific Northwest University of Health Science. They told me that they look at the last 60 credit hours (in a semester based school) or last 90 credit hours (in a quarter based school).

If you are interested in applying to this school, please keep in mind they have a preference for applicants from Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and the state of Washington.

Goro likes this.
  8. Shotapp

Shotapp 2+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2015
    GA
    @Goro

School has just started and I didn't drop a course within the drop/add period. I'm now going to have a W in my post-bac record. Will this look bad and should I just keep getting A's to move forward?

9. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

A single W won't be a problem. Multiples will.

10. Shotapp

Shotapp 2+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2015
    GA
    Thanks, Goro. I really don't know what I would do without your help.

11. restndigest92

restndigest92

Aug 3, 2017
    Hi Goro,
    When doing a DIY post-bacc( two semesters of 16 credits in upper-level sciences in my case)- do schools prefer completing it at just one school and on-campus? I would like to take two courses on campus at one school and two courses online offered through another school this semester. Would that be acceptable?

12. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

Great question. I've never seen anything that suggests schools want everything done at once. Do keep in mind that online coursework might be discounted.

13. restndigest92

restndigest92

Aug 3, 2017
    Even if the majority of my coursework was completed on campus?

14. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

Hard to interpret. Strongly suggest that you look at school's admissions websites to see what they say about online coursework.

15. restndigest92

restndigest92

Aug 3, 2017
    Thank you, Goro!
    Just wondering- anyone know of any SMP programs that also have a January start class?

16. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

Alas, I don't

17. restndigest92

restndigest92

Aug 3, 2017
    Goro,
    Silly and odd question for ya:
    In order for science courses to be considered 'upper level', must they have a course number of 300/3000 or higher? Are med schools picky about that?
    As mentioned above, I am currently doing a DIY post-bacc at a local university taking recommended bio courses. At this college all the undergrad bio courses(including: genetics, human physiology, cell biology,etc) have course numbers in 1000-2000 level. The material is similar to upper-level courses at other universities, they are definitely not intro/survey courses!

18. restndigest92

restndigest92

Aug 3, 2017
    Will this be an issue?

19. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

I don't pay attention to course numbers. I look for material.

20. restndigest92

restndigest92

Aug 3, 2017
    So it is the course name that matters?

21. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

Yup.

I fully realize that some Bio courses may not be as rigorous as others, but we don't look at single metrics. We look to see if you've done well in a bunch of Bio courses.

restndigest92 likes this.
  22. Texasmedins

Texasmedins

Jul 18, 2017
    Hi Goro, had a quick question. I was complete at most of the DO schools I applied to (about 18) around 09/01/2017, with some around 09/07 max. Do you think I was late in submitting my secondaries?
    3.5 cgpa 3.2 sgpa 504 MCAT, worked full time throughout under grad, low SES, medical scribe.

Thanks!

23. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

In the DO cycle, you're not late until T-giving. Please spread the word.

bobbyn and Texasmedins like this.
  24. Texasmedins

Texasmedins

Jul 18, 2017
    Thanks!

25. Watermelonss

Watermelonss

Sep 14, 2017
    Hi @Goro,

Does this count as a downward trend?
    Freshman gpa: 2.38
    Sophmore gpa: 3.85
    Junior gpa: 3.6
    Senior gpa: 3.63
    Post bac gpa: 3.65

26. skeptastic

skeptastic SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor

Jan 12, 2017
    I've wondered about downward trends as well. In either direction, how big of a change does it take to have the trend affect one's profile?

27. holdthemayo

holdthemayo 2+ Year Member

May 13, 2014
    Ysllodins

This is not a downward trend. You have at least three years of very consistent grades.

Shotapp, drdakdoc and Watermelonss like this.
  28. Diastereo

Diastereo

Sep 28, 2017
    The 'Burgh
    Just discovered this amazing thread. Can't I get your eyes on this @Goro ? Had a high cGPA and sGPA with grade replacement; now I'm balancing on a cut-off point.
    • Current respite social worker. Direct clinical hours with homeless opiate users and more than 2k clinical hours working with the under-served.
    • uGPA: 3.41
    • sGPA: 2.83
    • MSW GPA: 4.0
    • Last 20 hours of DIY post-bacc at 4.0; 3 C's and 1 F repeated at a 4.0
    • 2 years of research experience; 1 study published.
    • Service and EC Highlights: long-term volunteer with an African non-profit, two mission trips to Kenya, Albert Schweitzer Fellow, multiple graduate scholarships and awards, research in health disparities, former CrossFit Coach.
    • Letters of recommendation from post-bacc professors, research PI's, and Healthcare for the Homeless doctors.
    Any advice on whether I should:
    • Take the MCAT in 2018; if the score is appropriate, >510, then apply. Mostly DO and a reach MD like Geisinger or UT El Paso because I want to work with the under-served/in rural medicine.
    • Take more DIY post-bacc courses with my current 4-year school. I'll need about 3 more courses at a 4.0 to bring the sGPA to a 3.0. Take the MCAT and apply in 2019.
    • Note: as a social worker, there's no way I can afford an SMP in my state. It's out of my price range.
    Due to my work schedule, I plan to do a long and slow MCAT prep (similar to this plan "How I prepped for a 526"). As a result, I'm going to make the application decision soon.

29. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

Your plans are sound. If you're not a Texan, the two schools you named will be out of reach.

30. Diastereo

Diastereo

Sep 28, 2017
    The 'Burgh
    @Goro Thanks for the fast feedback! Seems like I'll be applying next cycle and updating schools with my grades throughout the cycle. I'm a native Texan, but Geisinger is in PA (formerly Commonwealth). An Adcom encouraged me to apply there after a meeting, so was unsure if they would actually consider me or just wanted my application fee.

31. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

TCMC has a preference for people from the Scranton area. An app there would be a donation.

OOS MD schools know from historical data that nearly all Texans (~all but 500 of the total applicant pool) stay in TX.

PashaOdesit likes this.
  32. premedbrah

premedbrah 2+ Year Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Would it be worth it do a DIY post bacc? I have a very low GPA but with a steady upward trend (did very very poorly my first 2 years of college). I have a 4.0 in the last 51 quarter units consisting of mainly science courses.
    My stats are:

cGPA: 2.52
    sGPA: 3.14
    MCAT: 510
    ED scribe, clinical research assistant, free clinic volunteer, Bio tutor.

Should I do a DIY post bacc or apply to DO schools directly? Curious if I need to take another year to raise my GPA. Thanks in advance :)

33. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

How many years is 51 qtr hours???

34. premedbrah

Jul 2, 2014
    1 full academic year at near 4.0 :) (couple A- grades)

35. PashaOdesit

PashaOdesit

Feb 4, 2017
    1 full year, meaning about 30 semester credits?

36. skeptastic

skeptastic SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor

Jan 12, 2017
    51 quarter credits would convert to exactly 34 semester credits. Quarter hours divided by 1.5 = Semester hours.

37. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

I recommend one more year of aceing before applying.

38. premedbrah

Jul 2, 2014
    Ok sounds good.. is CC ok for classes? I know this has been asked a million times but CC is significantly cheaper than any nearby University extension.

39. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

Mostly OK, but will be school-specific. Some MD schools specifically won't allow the coursework for requirements, others recommend not to do it. Check out a few schools and see what they have to say (say, Drexel, Wake, BU and Loyola)

premedbrah likes this.
  40. salty baby

salty baby

Oct 4, 2017
    Hi Goro, I had a few questions about getting clinical experience. Is it necessary to have a balance between volunteering/jobs (ex. scribe, technician). Will DO adcom's care if I have a lot of volunteering during my gap year, but unemployed?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Donna Moss likes this.
  41. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

No and no.

salty baby likes this.
  42. premedbrah

Jul 2, 2014
    Just calculated my theoretical cGPA w/ a 4.0 1 year post bacc. 1 more year of full time puts me at a cGPA of 2.58 and sGPA (accomas) of 3.48 :(

43. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

Go re-read my post. It's not about the cGPA anymore, but proving the you of now is not the you of then.

44. AlbinoHawk DO

AlbinoHawk DO Student Osteopath 2+ Year Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Not going to happen for you. Schools have a window of leeway they give students, but generally if you can't crack that 3, you won't get into Med school. The only way would be an SMP, but even for that your GPA is toast. There are so many good applicants that struggled but not too the point of pulling on the noose that there's no point in taking you

45. PashaOdesit

PashaOdesit

Feb 4, 2017
    So, my GPA for each year are as follows:

Freshman: 2.98
    Sophomore: 3.07
    Junior: 3.98
    Senior: 3.7
    Post-Bacc: 3.5-3.6 (still working on it)

Does it look like upward trend, even if Senior year a little lower than Junior year?
    Post-Bacc will be around 3.5-3.6 for the next cycle.

Thank you

46. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

That is what would be scientifically described as a "massive upward trend". You're fine.

skeptastic and PashaOdesit like this.
  47. premedbrah

Jul 2, 2014
    I appreciate your advice. I'm adding it to my motivation :)

anatomyyay, skeptastic, Goro and 2 others like this.
  48. AlbinoHawk DO

Oct 19, 2013
    I sincerely hope I'm wrong and wish you good luck since there's no reason for me to wish you to fail, but I think it would be wrong of me not to tell you where you are and how dire your situation is.

49. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

There are plenty of SMPs that will take people with a GPA < 3.0. Mine's just one of them. Brah has demonstrated enough reinvention that with a 513+ MCAT, s/he is viable for a number of MD schools, and any DO. Even a 505 will look good for most DO schools.

50. AlbinoHawk DO

Oct 19, 2013
    Maybe your school doesn't use screens, but the majority of schools will screen at a 2.8. My school, for example, has hard cut off for their class. I know the student has worked hard and would likely succeed, but the story is usually not as simple as that.