Goro..3.3 gpa 38+ mcat score DO? MD? SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t3705

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Goro,

Is a gpa of 3.3 and a mcat score of 38 or higher good enough to get in a md program? Or is the applicant going to need to apply to a SMP?

Let's say the 3.3 gpa is consistent during the 4 years.

Do you have any thoughts about applying to a SMP program compared to a DO school?

Are your students happy overall that they decided to go to a DO school? Are the opportunities to specialize vast at your DO school?

Why bother with a SMP and just apply DO?

Members don't see this ad.

You know, you can actually PM him rather than creating the thread...

Others might care....

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends upon the school

U KS for a KS resident? Yes
U KS or UCSF for a CA resident? No
UCSF for a KS resident? No

For the low-tier schools, I'd say yes. However, at times, people might be suspicious of discordant scores.

if one of truly keen on an MD degree, I'd suggest first trying omne app cycle. if no, contact Admissions deans ad get feedback on the rejections. Then go for the SMP.

The DO route will obviously be a quicker one to being a doctor.

Is a gpa of 3.3 and a mcat score of 38 or higher good enough to get in a md program? Or is the applicant going to need to apply to a SMP?
Let's say the 3.3 gpa is consistent during the 4 years.
Do you have any thoughts about applying to a SMP program compared to a DO school?

Yes they are. I have to crow here, I love my students and they're great. We do get a sense that they're happy to be "in".

That said, our grads have ended up in neurology, orthopedics, radiology, ER, anesthesiology, psychiatry and rehabilitative medicine.

Are your students happy overall that they decided to go to a DO school?

I don't know about "vast", but our grads can get into specialties. Keep in mind that a lot of them go for primary care, not because they can't get into specialties, but because they're interested in it since day 1. They thus self-select for our school, given its primary care emphasis.

Are the opportunities to specialize vast at your DO school?

It depends on what one's goal is. Sometimes one's GPA is so poor that only a SMP can rescue it. Some people just wanna be MDs, too, and not DOs

Why bother with a SMP and just apply DO?[/quote]

Goro,

Thanks. I appreciate your response.