Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know if this questions has been asked yet but (I also hate to be the one to ask) does this criteria apply to URMs with low GPA stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends upon how low those stats are!
Okay currently
MCAT: 497 (I am going to retake, but what should I aim for?)
cGPA: 3.4
sGPA:2.7

My main goal is to apply to my 2 in state schools (and any low tiers)

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay currently

If you’re wanting MD, you need to be shooting for 510+

Reactions: 1 user
Okay currently

With that sGPA, you need to reinvent. No medical school is doing you any favors by accepting you when you are at such a risk to fail out.

Reactions: 1 users
With that sGPA, you need to reinvent. No medical school is doing you any favors by accepting you when you are at such a risk to fail out.
Thank you. Would getting a 3.0 sGPA be enough after reinventing?

It's more how that you need a year or so of high grades. Getting the sGPA to 3.0 will never, ever hurt.
Thank you so much. Could I do like half of a semester at comm college (for cost) and half at my university?

I just wanted to come back to this thread after I've completed the process. It helped me plan out my reinvention starting in 2017. I followed the majority of the information @Goro put in this and it really paid off. Even with a 3.3 cGPA, I received 5 IIs and multiple acceptances. I am immensely grateful to @Goro for the hardwork and active participation he's shown and highly recommend this guide to any of my fellow non-trads who had a rough start.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
I just wanted to come back to this thread after I've completed the process. It helped me plan out my reinvention starting in 2017. I followed the majority of the information @Goro put in this and it really paid off. Even with a 3.3 cGPA, I received 5 IIs and multiple acceptances. I am immensely grateful to @Goro for the hardwork and active participation he's shown and highly recommend this guide to any of my fellow non-trads who had a rough start.
Could you detail out some of the steps you did to reinvent?

Could you detail out some of the steps you did to reinvent?

I'll go through the steps and how I used it to help my process.
A. Retake C's/D's only in prereqs: I had 5 C's and 3 D's. Luckily I had only taken the English prereqs, so I did not retake any of the courses. I was truly lucky that I hadn't taken many science classes so I only had the single C in science when I applied.

B. Transcript Repair: I took five semesters (two summers, 52 credit hours) taking only science and math courses and got all As and a single B in Ochem over a summer (I don't recommend Ochem in the summer due to the condensed curriculum)

C. Show rising gpa trends with hard coursework: Took my post-bacc seriously and got near perfect grades while establishing solid connections with a few professors. I took 4 science courses during each semester with usually 2-3 labs. Even when I finished my prereqs I kept taking hard science courses to prove I could handle the workload. This was mentioned by a couple interviewers. My cGPA only rose .2 points, but I had that strong upward trend.

D. Get a good gpa: A year and a half post bacc with a 3.9 gpa

E. Score well on the MCAT: I took off my spring semester (despite my premed advisor saying I should take some more advanced science courses) so that I could focus on my MCAT. This coincided with COVID so it turned out to be a ****ty time to study without knowing the end date, so my two month study plan turned into a raggedy 6 month ordeal but I managed to get a 512. At the same time I worked a clinical job at a mental health place that was both meaningful and good hours which I wrote about a lot in my application.

Hope that helps!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
I'll go through the steps and how I used it to help my process.
A. Retake C's/D's only in prereqs: I had 5 C's and 3 D's. Luckily I had only taken the English prereqs, so I did not retake any of the courses. I was truly lucky that I hadn't taken many science classes so I only had the single C in science when I applied.

B. Transcript Repair: I took five semesters (two summers, 52 credit hours) taking only science and math courses and got all As and a single B in Ochem over a summer (I don't recommend Ochem in the summer due to the condensed curriculum)

C. Show rising gpa trends with hard coursework: Took my post-bacc seriously and got near perfect grades while establishing solid connections with a few professors. I took 4 science courses during each semester with usually 2-3 labs. Even when I finished my prereqs I kept taking hard science courses to prove I could handle the workload. This was mentioned by a couple interviewers. My cGPA only rose .2 points, but I had that strong upward trend.

D. Get a good gpa: A year and a half post bacc with a 3.9 gpa

E. Score well on the MCAT: I took off my spring semester (despite my premed advisor saying I should take some more advanced science courses) so that I could focus on my MCAT. This coincided with COVID so it turned out to be a ****ty time to study without knowing the end date, so my two month study plan turned into a raggedy 6 month ordeal but I managed to get a 512. At the same time I worked a clinical job at a mental health place that was both meaningful and good hours which I wrote about a lot in my application.

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much! This gives me an idea of what things I could do to help. Did you do a formal post-bacc? Career changer or academic booster?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! This gives me an idea of what things I could do to help. Did you do a formal post-bacc? Career changer or academic booster?
Naw, it was a DIY at a state school. I couldn't get financial aid for a formal, but I could for a second bachelor's. Functionally it served as both a career changer and a academic booster

Naw, it was a DIY at a state school. I couldn't get financial aid for a formal, but I could for a second bachelor's. Functionally it served as both a career changer and a academic booster
Okay could you tell me more about this? Could I DM you? I have spoken with advisors and they have suggested a second bachelor's. So I wanna see what that is like.

@Goro I know you said Wayne state mainly values the last two years. Do you have a list of other schools that do that? Are they the same as schools that award reinvention

Goro,

I skimmed this whole thread and cannot find a similar situation to mine. I would like to be certain your guide doesn't have any footnotes for me. Apologies if I missed a similar situation. I saw non-health professionals, abysmal grades, and decade+ gaps; but none where all three we're together.

I'm 38, I graduated undergrad in Biochemistry in 2006. c & sGPA 2.26. Unfortunate circumstance, I look forward to the question "what happened?"
In 2017, I completed an MBA program with a 4.0. That wasn't enough for me. I want more. As a scientist, non science is cheating.
This whole time I've had a progressively successful career in science, mostly analytical chemistry. Plenty of people to write letters for me.

Orgo 1 & Molecular are A's
Orgo 2 & Bchem are C-
Psychology is a D

Every other significant pre req is in the B+ to C range with strong leanings towards C.

I'm an entirely new person. I feel confident I can cover the MCAT material on my own and do well. Much of it I had to relearn just to do my job anyway.

In this situation, so many years away, do you still recommend taking new only courses?
Should I retake any old courses?

I know my chances are long. I went into undergrad wanting to be a physician but a child in survival mode didn't stand an ice cube's chance in hell. I've been building myself up all this time. I read plenty of troll posts saying not to try, and with good reason. I don't expect to succeed, I just want the shot I never had. The worst thing that can happen is I take some classes and learn new things. That being said, if I can make my 1% chance a 2% chance, I want to put the effort into the right places.

Eventually there will be a follow-up question, maybe you can write a guide on it: "How the hell to get clinical, shadowing, and volunteer hours during a pandemic?" Not today though. Baby steps for now.

Goro,

I skimmed this whole thread and cannot find a similar situation to mine. I would like to be certain your guide doesn't have any footnotes for me. Apologies if I missed a similar situation. I saw non-health professionals, abysmal grades, and decade+ gaps; but none where all three we're together.

I'm 38, I graduated undergrad in Biochemistry in 2006. c & sGPA 2.26. Unfortunate circumstance, I look forward to the question "what happened?"
In 2017, I completed an MBA program with a 4.0. That wasn't enough for me. I want more. As a scientist, non science is cheating.
This whole time I've had a progressively successful career in science, mostly analytical chemistry. Plenty of people to write letters for me.

Orgo 2 & Bchem are C-
Psychology is a D

Every other significant pre req is in the B+ to C range with strong leanings towards C.

I'm an entirely new person. I feel confident I can cover the MCAT material on my own and do well. Much of it I had to relearn just to do my job anyway.

In this situation, so many years away, do you still recommend taking new only courses?

I know my chances are long. I went into undergrad wanting to be a physician but a child in survival mode didn't stand an ice cube's chance in hell. I've been building myself up all this time. I read plenty of troll posts saying not to try, and with good reason. I don't expect to succeed, I just want the shot I never had. The worst thing that can happen is I take some classes and learn new things. That being said, if I can make my 1% chance a 2% chance, I want to put the effort into the right places.

Eventually there will be a follow-up question, maybe you can write a guide on it: "How the hell to get clinical, shadowing, and volunteer hours during a pandemic?" Not today though. Baby steps for now.
Don't put the cart before the horse. An MCAT score is only good for 3 years. You need to first concentrate on raising your GPAs which will take you at least 2+ years of full-time straight As in science courses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Goro,

Orgo 2 & Bchem are C-
Psychology is a D

Many med schools have an expiration date on the pre-reqs. Hence given that, and the fact you need to do well on the mCAT, predicates your doing a formal post-bac for career changers, OR a DIY post-bac. You definitely need to retake the two C- courses.
See above. You don't need to retake Psych.
Here's a harsh truth: your safety, as well as that of your family and society, is more important than your med school plans.

In the mean time, you can work on your nonclinical volunteering. Venues include scribing, food banks, COVID screening or contact tracing, Meals on Wheels, election poll working (normally done by seniors) and whatever your local houses of worship can suggest.

You should be ready to apply by about age 40-41, and so if you feel that you can do it AND you've successfully reinvented yourself, go for it. I've had some GREAT students in their 40s!

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't get in my second time and I'm trying to gain insight on what is the best route for me for a third try. Here is my breakdown:
My cGPA/sGPA is 3.36/3.09. I was diagnosed with ADHD during my undergrad, which is why my overall GPA is weak. If one looks at my sGPA only uses courses after I was diagnosed, it would be a 3.44. My MCAT score is 515 (131/126/129/129). My question here is do I need to show reinvention given my MCAT score?

Over 700 hours of community service from various experience over several years.

Over 900 clinical volunteering being a companion for hospital patients by giving them someone to talk to and lift their spirits over 4-5 years.

I do have 500 hours of research over 1 year. This field didn't really click with me.

I'm currently deciding between whether to pursue a post bacc or a master's. I recently got accepted into my top choice research lab for grad school (it's an thesis based MS in biology) and this lab's research really clicks with me. My application's narrative will be focused on one of my community service experiences that I have been involved with for a little over a year; it gave me insight to the kind of doctor I want to be and what goals I wish to accomplish in medicine. No, it's not the cookie-cutter "I want to help the underserved community"; it's an experience that has a personal connection to me. Whether I pursue a post bacc or a master's, I plan to join a student organization with similar goals to that experience (maybe even hold a leadership position, which I don't have) to broaden my horizons , and strength my application in a meaningful manner rather than a checklist manner. The pros of the master's is it gives more time for me to broaden my horizons by continuing the community service experience and to obtain a leadership position. However, I won't be able to go heavy on science courses like in a post bacc, but I will make up for it by spending lots of time in the lab and maybe even hold a part time job or work as a TA. The pro to the post-bacc is I can show reinvention by going heavy on science courses, but I am wondering if my MCAT itself (assuming I get a comparable, if not better score next time) shows reinvention. I want to point out that the master's program will also allow me to take senior level undergraduate courses to count toward my degree, but as I said, I won't be able to go heavy. Some insight on which route I should take would be much appreciated! @Goro

Last edited:
I didn't get in my second time and I'm trying to gain insight on what is the best route for me for a third try. Here is my breakdown:
My cGPA/sGPA is 3.36/3.09. I was diagnosed with ADHD during my undergrad, which is why my overall GPA is weak. If one looks at my sGPA only uses courses after I was diagnosed, it would be a 3.44. My MCAT score is 515 (131/126/129/129). My question here is do I need to show reinvention given my MCAT score?

Over 700 hours of community service from various experience over several years.

Over 900 clinical volunteering being a companion for hospital patients by giving them someone to talk to and lift their spirits over 4-5 years.

I do have 500 hours of research over 1 year. This field didn't really click with me.

I'm currently deciding between whether to pursue a post bacc or a master's. I recently got accepted into my top choice research lab for grad school (it's an thesis based MS in biology) and this lab's research really clicks with me. My application's narrative will be focused on one of my community service experiences that I have been involved with for a little over a year; it gave me insight to the kind of doctor I want to be and what goals I wish to accomplish in medicine. No, it's not the cookie-cutter "I want to help the underserved community; it's an experience that has a personal connection to me. Whether I pursue a post bacc or a master's, I plan to join a student organization with similar goals to that experience (maybe even hold a leadership position, which I don't have) to broaden my horizons , and strength my application in a meaningful manner rather than a checklist manner. The pros of the master's is it gives more time for me to broaden my horizons by continuing the community service experience and to obtain a leadership position. However, I won't be able to go heavy on science courses like in a post bacc, but I will make up for it by spending lots of time in the lab and maybe even hold a part time job or work as a TA. The pro to the post-bacc is I can show reinvention by going heavy on science courses, but I am wondering if my MCAT itself (assuming I get a comparable, if not better score next time) shows reinvention. I want to point out that the master's program will also allow me to take senior level undergraduate courses to count toward my degree, but as I said, I won't be able to go heavy. Some insight on which route I should take would be much appreciated! @Goro
What are your year by year GPAs??
Did you apply to DO schools?

What are your year by year GPAs??
Did you apply to DO schools?
Year 1: 3.17
Year 2: 2.84
Year 3: 3.07
Year 4: 3.65 (When I received accommodations and medication for my ADHD)
Year 5: 3.77
Year 6 (I only attended fall semester): 3.62.

I applied to Western (I'm from California) and DMU. These were the only DO schools I applied to.

Last edited:
Many med schools have an expiration date on the pre-reqs. Hence given that, and the fact you need to do well on the mCAT, predicates your doing a formal post-bac for career changers, OR a DIY post-bac. You definitely need to retake the two C- courses.
Thank you Goro. So I decided to jump and just registered for an anatomy course that begins tomorrow! Money is spent, no turning back. I'm going to start with one course just to do some warm up; but I went with what will be a harder class, for me, because hard memorization is not my strongest attribute.

Orgo 2, I have reached out to my old Orgo professor, also my academic advisor, and I have remained close. Asked if we could dig up the old course material and do a self-guided Orgo 1 prep. I still have my textbook fortunately. Not much has really changed.
Here's a harsh truth: your safety, as well as that of your family and society, is more important than your med school plans.
Just signed up for some eshadow program. Comes with credits, I don't know how valuable. Considering how non-traditional I am, I think initiative will go a long way. Hope you agree. If nothing else, I get a peak inside before I go too far down this road.

Just excited to finally lift a finger and do something I've been thinking about for years. Wanted to say thanks because I don't know if you intended to push, but you along with someone else yesterday gave me that last shove across the line.

• Love
I would like to thank Easter Bunny for his wonderful advice via DM. I cannot thank you enough.

I’m looking for some insight on how I should proceed with re-invention. I’m currently formulating a school list (both MD and DO) and hoping to apply for the 2022-2023 cycle. I’m an non-traditional URM with a 2.9 cGPA and 2.7sGPA. I graduated 2019 with a BS in Biology. I also took a few graduate courses with a GPA of 3.6 so far. I have 100+ shadow hours, 100+ volunteer hours and 1000’s of clinical hours (I am a nurse). I recently applied to UF Medical Physiology and Pharmacology master’s program, but I can’t find any insight on how this online program could possibly be viewed by adcoms. If accepted should I attend or continue with my DIY postbacc? @Goro What would be more beneficial in my case, DIY postbacc or Master’s program?

I’m looking for some insight on how I should proceed with re-invention. I’m currently formulating a school list (both MD and DO) and hoping to apply for the 2022-2023 cycle. I’m an non-traditional URM with a 2.9 cGPA and 2.7sGPA. I graduated 2019 with a BS in Biology. I also took a few graduate courses with a GPA of 3.6 so far. I have 100+ shadow hours, 100+ volunteer hours and 1000’s of clinical hours (I am a nurse). I recently applied to UF Medical Physiology and Pharmacology master’s program, but I can’t find any insight on how this online program could possibly be viewed by adcoms. If accepted should I attend or continue with my DIY postbacc? @Goro What would be more beneficial in my case, DIY postbacc or Master’s program?
The UF program is an SMP? Do they have linkage to the med school? If so, I lean to SMPs. If money is an issue, then continue with the post-bac.

An online program isn't an issue. Nearly all med schools are still online now

The UF program is an SMP? Do they have linkage to the med school? If so, I lean to SMPs. If money is an issue, then continue with the post-bac.

An online program isn't an issue. Nearly all med schools are still online now
They market it as a SMP stating it’s a “program for individuals who want to enhance their medical school application” and the degree that will be earned is Master of Science in Medical Sciences with a concentration in Medical Physiology and Pharmacology. There is no linkage to the med school. I was told the curriculum includes the same subjects that are taught in medical professional programs so it’s a great way

Hi, everyone. My bachelor's GPA from three years ago for a Computer Science degree is 3.67 cGPA and 3.8 sGPA. However, I wasn't pre-med then. I took most of my pre-reqs this year at different CC's and extension schools and my uGPA is now 3.75 cGPA and 3.9 sGPA. I know AMCAS will mark my uGPA as 3.75. However, will adcoms consider my cGPA 3.75 or will they still secretly consider it 3.67 since these courses were not from a 4-year university? I know Goro said a 3.7+ is necessary for medical schools. I also have a Master's degree in Computer Science with a 3.98 GPA if that matters at all.
Adcoms go with what is on your application.

A 3.7+ is recommended for reinventors, NOT general applicants like you.

The MS in Comp Sci won't be counted

They market it as a SMP stating it’s a “program for individuals who want to enhance their medical school application” and the degree that will be earned is Master of Science in Medical Sciences with a concentration in Medical Physiology and Pharmacology. There is no linkage to the med school. I was told the curriculum includes the same subjects that are taught in medical professional programs so it’s a great way
I'd advise you to ask for a list of where graduates have been accepted/matriculated. Meeting with the program director could also lend insight into where the SMP can take you given a certain performance in combination with your pre-SMP record. I found that helpful for my own program several years ago.

Can attest to the value of an SMP which has coursework aligned with medical school curricula. I've personally had a strong advantage (especially in my first year) that allowed me to explore other interests while maintaining academic excellence.

I'm surprised that there's no linkage. Raises an eyebrow for me. There are plenty of others that have linkage. Be that as it may, if you do well in the program, that's great.

@Goro I am thinking about going to an SMP program to apply to MSTP programs.

I did two years of post-bacc with 48 credits at 3.89, however, I have a really really bad record behind all of that (4 F's, 12+ W's, 1.0 semester GPA's). My cGPA and sGPA prior to the post bacc was a 2.7, it is now a 3.3/3.4 respectively. I want to really ensure my chances at Research Med School though. I have URM status.. MCAT is 514.

An additional SMP may be overkill for regular MD with 2 years of post-bacc already behind me but im not sure if 2 years is enough for MD/PhD though. Thoughts?

Last edited:
@Goro I am thinking about going to an SMP program to apply to MSTP programs.

I did two years of post-bacc with 48 credits at 3.89, however, I have a really really bad record behind all of that (4 F's, 12+ W's, 1.0 semester GPA's). My cGPA and sGPA prior to the post bacc was a 2.7, it is now a 3.3/3.4 respectively. I want to really ensure my chances at Research Med School though. I have URM status.. MCAT is 514.

An additional SMP may be overkill for regular MD with 2 years of post-bacc already behind me but im not sure if 2 years is enough for MD/PhD though. Thoughts?
Honestly, I have no idea how MD/PhD programs view reinvention. My gut tells me it will be an uphill climb

@Goro Would an additional SMP be overkill if I were targetting research-heavy schools as an MD applicant? Some schools let you transfer into their MSTP two years into their MD program, and given how selective MSTP's are as to who receives their 'million-dollar award', I doubt they'd take a chance on me

@Goro Would an additional SMP be overkill if I were targetting research-heavy schools as an MD applicant? Some schools let you transfer into their MSTP two years into their MD program, and given how selective MSTP's are as to who receives their 'million-dollar award', I doubt they'd take a chance on me
Yes, I think it would be Overkill. And as somebody who has reinvented, you will need to have DO schools on your list like it or not.

Beggars can't be choosy, and while some of the research powerhouses reward reinvention, like Columbia or Vanderbilt, the majority of Reinventing loving schools are service loving like SLU or Drexel.

URM might change the calculus, What ethnicity are you?

@Goro Yeah I am considering just applying without the SMP, and to many of the DO programs. Hispanic/Latino 1st gen immigrant. (Citizen of the US)

Do I have a chance at DO schools? I am a non-trad (age 36) Cum GPA 2.9, Science GPA 2.72. My GPA was because my 1st stint in college was a disaster (1st 5 years of school ended with a 1.7 gpa), but I redid my entire undergrad biology degree (120 credit hours) at a different college and graduated from new school with a 3.61 gpa. My 1st Mcat was a 498, however I just retook it last month and received a 512. I have 2000 hours of scribing experience, and a bunch of volunteer activities. My state is Arkansas and I know UAMS will grant me an interview based on my residency, however their average GPA is a 3.7. My goal is to avoid the Caribbean schools. Any advice is appreciated.

Do I have a chance at DO schools? I am a non-trad (age 36) Cum GPA 2.9, Science GPA 2.72. My GPA was because my 1st stint in college was a disaster (1st 5 years of school ended with a 1.7 gpa), but I redid my entire undergrad biology degree (120 credit hours) at a different college and graduated from new school with a 3.61 gpa. My 1st Mcat was a 498, however I just retook it last month and received a 512. I have 2000 hours of scribing experience, and a bunch of volunteer activities. My state is Arkansas and I know UAMS will grant me an interview based on my residency, however their average GPA is a 3.7. My goal is to avoid the Caribbean schools. Any advice is appreciated.
1) why was it 1.7 aka have you dealt with whatever it was?
2) do you know what your letters might look like?
3) how do you interview?

absolutely do not go carib

1) why was it 1.7 aka have you dealt with whatever it was?
2) do you know what your letters might look like?
3) how do you interview?

absolutely do not go carib
1) 1.7 was because I was an extremely immature kid that never went to classes or did assignments. Spiraled out of control. I realized at the end of that stint that I really needed to pull my life together. Always wanted to do medicine because of my lifelong history of kidney disease. I was originally aiming for DO schools grade replacement policy, however sadly by the time I was ready to apply that policy had just been removed.

2) I have 1 strong letter from a MD i worked 2 years for, 1 strong letter from a science professor, and 2 general/weakish letters from other science professors.

3) I am personable and have decent social skills. Maybe I speak a little too fast when I'm nervous, but otherwise I think I do ok.

you need more gooder letters.

what's your personal statement gonna look like? can you write?

you need more gooder letters.

what's your personal statement gonna look like? can you write?
Most of the schools require letters from science professors. Would you suggest I go take some summer classes to procure these? My personal statement is solid based on feedback I've received.

Yes you do, with a broad target list.

Most of the schools require letters from science professors. Would you suggest I go take some summer classes to procure these? My personal statement is solid based on feedback I've received.
no weak letters, period. even if you were the 2nd coming of halstead.

do you have a good non-sci guy you could sub one for? a volunteer or work person, since you're non trad? non-science that's good is better than science that's not good.

any thoughts on an SMP program through a vet school? From what I read it seemed like there were some pre-meds in the program too