bella_dottoressa

make it happen
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2002
1,005
1
37
Status (Visible)
Guys, I know these are the most annoying posts ever, but I have something weighing on my mind a little these days.

Generally I would think that applying w/ a 3.5 science and a 3.6 cum would not be a hindrance, but my 3.5 science has some big flaws in it that I'm wondering will hurt me...namely;

Calc II - D (first qtr of college)
Gen Chem - C+, B-, C+ (on quarters not semesters)
Organic - B, C, A-

Obviously to have a 3.5 after all of that I've gotten A's pretty much everywhere else and I've taken quite a bit of upper division bio and done well there...big upward trend also year to year...Assuming a good mcat, do you think those crappy grades, particularly in the chemistries are going to be a deal breaker?
 

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
2,048
6
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by bella_dottoressa
Guys, I know these are the most annoying posts ever, but I have something weighing on my mind a little these days.

Generally I would think that applying w/ a 3.5 science and a 3.6 cum would not be a hindrance, but my 3.5 science has some big flaws in it that I'm wondering will hurt me...namely;

Calc II - D (first qtr of college)
Gen Chem - C+, B-, C+ (on quarters not semesters)
Organic - B, C, A-

Obviously to have a 3.5 after all of that I've gotten A's pretty much everywhere else and I've taken quite a bit of upper division bio and done well there...big upward trend also year to year...Assuming a good mcat, do you think those crappy grades, particularly in the chemistries are going to be a deal breaker?
I think you would be fine since your sci gpa is still high at 3.5 and your cum is a 3.6.

On a side note, your signature doesn't make much sense, "Fall 7 times. Get up 8." If you fall 7 times you would get up 7 times. You can't get up an extra time which would be the 8th time, if you're not on the ground. :)
 

JohnHolmes

Large Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
3,207
3
39
Status (Visible)
You can sitll get into med school with that. Obviously, its better to get a D your first year than second semester of junior year. It will be brought up in the interview, and may hurt your chances. Obviously a 3.5 of mostly As and Bs is better than a C or D here and there and the rest As.

The D and C will almost certainly put you out of the running at top flight institutions, but then again, with these places, anything goes.

Best,
CCW
 
About the Ads

JohnHolmes

Large Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
3,207
3
39
Status (Visible)
Not to battle the former poster with sematics, but your signature makes complete sense to me. I get the embedded message. Don't change it.
CCW
 

Sharkfan

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2004
254
0
Southeast USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I would advise you to go ahead and see what happens. You never know until you try. But... I wouldn't think that those grades would knock you out of the running provided that you have A's on a whole lot of upper level science courses. Upward trends can be forgiven a lot easier than downward ones. :)
 

bella_dottoressa

make it happen
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2002
1,005
1
37
Status (Visible)
Slickness...hmm. This is what you get for not thinking through your inspirational quotes of choice throughly :D I really liked it too until you made me realize it was nonsensical.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna apply to a huge range of MDs and DOs too...Its just that on the surface a 3.5 generally wouldn't be a liability but I think mine is :(
 
E

Eraserhead

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
You can sitll get into med school with that. Obviously, its better to get a D your first year than second semester of junior year. It will be brought up in the interview, and may hurt your chances. Obviously a 3.5 of mostly As and Bs is better than a C or D here and there and the rest As.

The D and C will almost certainly put you out of the running at top flight institutions, but then again, with these places, anything goes.

Best,
CCW

ummm i have three C's and i did reasonably well with some top schools.
 

bella_dottoressa

make it happen
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2002
1,005
1
37
Status (Visible)
In the pre-reqs though Kevin? I feel sort of bad that I did poorly in the stupid chemistries...is this a "red flag"? :)
 

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
5,470
8
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
bella....

you are in great shape. if you have any bad grades you would want to get them early on to show an upward trend, and i can see that you have that seeing how you still managed to get a 3.5 science gpa.

have you taken that calc class over? that might be an option, but outside of that i see nothing that serves as a red flag or anything to toss your application out the window.

i have a 3.1 scigpa and a 3.4 cumulative gpa. numbers much much lower than yours and have been fortunate this application cycle. in your case your gpas will not act to hurt you at all. you have shown that you can perform well by doing well in upper division science courses.

just as long as you can do well on your mcat, then you should be good to go. i really dont think you have anything to worry about. just focus on doing some ECs and doing well on your mcat.

good luck next year.
 

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
5,470
8
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by bella_dottoressa
In the pre-reqs though Kevin? I feel sort of bad that I did poorly in the stupid chemistries...is this a "red flag"? :)

ive gotten multiple Cs....

if i can remember i have some in the prereqs too....

Cs in both calcs, C in gchem...i think thats it? cant remember them all...sorry.
 

bella_dottoressa

make it happen
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2002
1,005
1
37
Status (Visible)
Thanks jlee! So helpful. I think my ECs are above avg so that should help....very reassuring though, thanks again. I :love: sdn.
 

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
2,048
6
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by bella_dottoressa
Slickness...hmm. This is what you get for not thinking through your inspirational quotes of choice throughly :D I really liked it too until you made me realize it was nonsensical.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna apply to a huge range of MDs and DOs too...Its just that on the surface a 3.5 generally wouldn't be a liability but I think mine is :(
It's cool. I think you're making the right decision in applying to DO schools as well. So many applicants do not do this and end up wasting time and money reapplying again. Good luck.:)
 

bella_dottoressa

make it happen
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2002
1,005
1
37
Status (Visible)
It's cool. I think you're making the right decision in applying to DO schools as well. So many applicants do not do this and end up wasting time and money reapplying again. Good luck.

Yes, I agree with you so completely. I really get frustrated seeing reapplicants who won't consider DO schools; I know its a personal choice and all, but still. Congrats on all your fantastic acceptances; must feel awesome. :)
 

lilstina

diamond sweetpea
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2003
3,618
0
40
texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
hey bella...

don't worry too much about those C's taking you out of the running. I had way too many C+'s... and in prereqs too, like physics and orgo... but all my upper div sciences are A's... and both my sci and cum gpas are lower than yours. actually, thinking back, i have no idea why anyone would accept me but I am still going to school in the fall :)

good luck!
 

bella_dottoressa

make it happen
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2002
1,005
1
37
Status (Visible)
thanks for the encouragement!! :) congrats on your acceptance!! where are you headed?
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.