Got a 17AA on my DAT. Should I even apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jydent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't retake my DAT until September. Should I even apply this cycle?

BS Biology
Overall gpa: 3.35
Science gpa: 3.30

First DAT: 17AA, 17PA
Planning to retake in September (first DAT was with only 2 weeks of studying. Yea I know... it's a long story, but believe me it was not my intention to take the DAT so unprepared)

I have research experience in genetics and will be getting a really good LOR from the professor I did research under. I have 100hrs+ of volunteering and about 50 hours of shadowing experience.

Also, I'm a "white hispanic". My mom is from South America, and I grew up speaking Spanish. I don't know if that counts as URM since I am racially white and no longer fluent in Spanish.

Planning to apply to a lot of private schools since my state does not have a dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't. If you retake in September, that's pretty late and your GPA is on the lower end. Ace your retake and save your money for next cycle. That's my opinion.

I got accepted into CU with a 17AA. My overall and science GPA was 3.5 as well. There were other factors at play like extracurriculars and experience but it was still very encouraging considering that CU is no slouch when it comes to academic averages. I did not, however, get very many interviews. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted into CU with a 17AA. My overall and science GPA was 3.5 as well. There were other factors at play like extracurriculars and experience but it was still very encouraging considering that CU is no slouch when it comes to academic averages. I did not, however, get very many interviews. :(
Congrats on your acceptance! And wow Colorado with 17AA? What do you mean by experience?

You have a good gpa and good extras it sounds like. If my gpa was higher I would be more willing to give this cycle a shot.

I wouldn't. If you retake in September, that's pretty late and your GPA is on the lower end. Ace your retake and save your money for next cycle. That's my opinion.

That's my thoughts, too. I'm hoping a 20+AA will make me competitive next year. I have a feeling updating my score in September won't do much good if schools have already put my app aside.

i would suggest retaking your DAT and simply applying to your state school.

Given your GPA your gonna want a 20+ DAT.

The only people who can get away with 17 DATs are people with 3.9+

The only people who can get away with 17 DATs are people with 3.9+

Sorry dude, but that simply is not true! I got accepted to CU with a 17AA and my GPA, both science and overall, was a 3.5. I did Track and Field during college and worked quite a bit as well so I could handle a busy schedule fine. I also worked in a dental office with my wife (who is an assistant) as a dental rover. I had very basic duties so it wasn't my expertise that attracted them to me but my drive to understand the field better. Those experiences and the fact that dentistry was a family endeavor really got the interviews flowing well when they asked questions.

My greatest strength, in the end, was my interview. They liked my personality and my passion for the field. It took 2 application cycles and I only got interviewed at CU (my state school) but I still got in. Ahead of a few people who had better scores than I did actually!

I definitely suggest retaking the DAT and doing whatever you can to improve your GPA, but I guess my point is that stats don't determine everything! Try to get a part time job in the field somewhere; that's what I did. Schools love to see a genuine passion for the field that they have worked so hard to advance. I really do believe that. Good luck! :luck:

I'll throw in my hat.

First of all to the poster above. Exceptions always happen, and it took you two cycles. You are an outlier not the norm.

Second. I would apply this cycle, but only send your ap to like 5 schools. My 5 would would be your state school, and then a few privates. Also retake the DAT in sept. i think when you send out your ap they automatically send it to 5 schools right?

now using my sliding scale or awesomeness these are the gpa and DATs you usually need

GPA DAT
3.9 17
3.7 18
3.5 19
3.3 20
3.1 21

If you make anything below a 16 unless you have a super 4.0+++ gpa you a pretty much done. And if you are below a 3.0..then your gonna need a 22. Your state school is a fair bet, but remember admissions are very tricky sometimes. you can see people with great stats get rejected, and you can see people with mediocre stats get in.

If you have a dental school in your state, I would apply, other than that, I wouldn't waste my money.

Honestly I wouldn't even waste $ with state school...just retake dat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

I'll throw in my hat.

First of all to the poster above. Exceptions always happen, and it took you two cycles. You are an outlier not the norm.

I never said I was the norm. Telling a person their chances are good simply because somebody else got accepted with similar stats is not always a good idea. Everyone is different. But schools see lots of 3.7+ GPAs & AAs higher than 20, and not all of them get accepted either. When sifting through 2000+ applications an applicant better have something that stands out to the school apart from those scores in order to secure an interview/acceptance.

Last edited:
In my opinion... if you have enough money to spare, I'd at least try to apply to several schools but only if you retake the DAT in September as you suggested (aim for 20+ across). As a warning though, there will still be a chance for acceptance but the chances are not as high as it potentially can be. If you don't get in this cycle because of a late DAT score/application, then you will know what to expect and be prepared for next cycle. If you get accepted, then you just saved yourself a year. Best of luck! :)

While we're on the subject, I am in a similar boat. GPA is 3.2 science and overall, (3.6 since I've been married). Live in Iowa, have a 10 week dental internship, 40 hours of shadowing, and am travelling to Nicaragua for a 2 week dental clinic trip by the end of the summer. All indicators show that my DAT will likely be an 19, though I am retaking in September. Letters of recommendation will be good. Full time employment throughout college as well. Is it worth it to apply? Money is less of an issue.

Primary schools are Iowa, Southern Illinois, and Arizona.

I'll throw in my hat.

Second. I would apply this cycle, but only send your ap to like 5 schools. My 5 would would be your state school, and then a few privates. Also retake the DAT in sept. i think when you send out your ap they automatically send it to 5 schools right?

now using my sliding scale or awesomeness these are the gpa and DATs you usually need

GPA DAT
3.9 17
3.7 18
3.5 19
3.3 20
3.1 21

Lol is this scale really accurate?

I feel this scale is pretty accurate based on my dental school. Of course, all dental schools differ. I think you will see though if you have been around here long enough that the scale is pretty darn good.

I feel this scale is pretty accurate based on my dental school. Of course, all dental schools differ. I think you will see though if you have been around here long enough that the scale is pretty darn good.

ok thanks.

what are you planning on doing in nicaragua on the mission trip?

Assisting in a dental clinic through my colleges pre-med/pre-dental group.