Got a 203 on Step 1 what can I match into

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAyatollah

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
details
1. No honors except short elective in Anesth
2. Class rank not very high
3. Few papers published 1 first author, 1 second author
4. Not many extracurriculars
5. I am a third year with 1 and 1/2 rotations left til 4th year

Possible interest: Gen surg, obgyn, pediatrics, psychiatry, cardiology.

Members don't see this ad.

The fields you list are starkly different, and the first thing I'd recommend is hashing out what you find would make you happiest as a career.

But let's say that they're all on an equal playing field in terms of your interests. In terms of competitiveness, Gen Surg is the toughest. The others - psych, ob/gyn, peds and internal medicine (what you'll need for cardiology), are more doable.

I'd recommend studying like crazy for step 2, and earning a solid score. Additionally, stellar work in a sub-I or two, accompanied by strong letters of rec from said sub-I's, could help balance (although not make up for) mediocre performance during third year. An away rotation at the program in which you're most interested might also help.

Best of luck to you. :) :luck:

You could probably manage to land an ob/gyn community program with that step 1 score, but you'll have a tough time with landing a strong academic program. Study like crazy for Step 2 to increase your chances. OB/GYN was a bit more competitive this year (only 24 spots available nationwide after the initial match). It might be an ongoing trend for the upcoming years as a result of the 80 hr work week, but who knows. Either way, you want to keep your options open, so improve your application whenever possible.

I'd agree with the above and go on to say that with that Step I score, you could go on to pretty much anything you want, as Step I's are not the end all, be all of ERAS applications. However, that being said, if you're looking at big academic residencies, you are going to have to work your a$$ off in your sub-I's and get good (read: excellent) letters of recommendation from big names and your home department chair (of the career that you ultimately decide on). As you probably already know, your best chance is to match at your home program, so get to know these people like two minutes ago and show your dedication. First and foremost, like the above posters said, decide on what you'll be happiest doing.

I have friends who scored lower than you who got interviews at some top tier ob/gyn programs and will likely receive great matches tomorrow. I quietly laugh to myself when I visit SDN sometimes as so many people think you really need 230s to match at an upper-tier program in a moderate/low competitiveness specialty. You are not doomed or sentenced to only community hospital options. Keep working hard and everything will fall into place if you want it!

Yeah, I don't think 203 is that low if you have significant medical research (preferably in your field). Most medical students aren't even published when they graduate.

If you have a good personality during your interview, you should be able to match at many good academic programs... Keep in mind general surg was really competitive this year, but still doable for you, if you don't mind matching at less desirable places... But the other fields on your list are very very doable. Like the previous post said, you will find a lot of takers from the less competitive fields, even from very strong academic programs. OB-GYN is below avg in terms of competitiveness, BTW.

cardiology will be tough. getting into internal medicine doesn't level the playing field for cardiology, since you'll only have a year of IM by the time you apply for fellowships. only the cream of the crop gets cardiology spots. it's probably much more difficult than getting into general surgery.

Tapout said:
I have friends who scored lower than you who got interviews at some top tier ob/gyn programs and will likely receive great matches tomorrow. I quietly laugh to myself when I visit SDN sometimes as so many people think you really need 230s to match at an upper-tier program in a moderate/low competitiveness specialty. You are not doomed or sentenced to only community hospital options. Keep working hard and everything will fall into place if you want it!

BTW, I interviewed at 5 of the top ten OB/GYN programs in the country and NO ONE had 203 and below Step 1 scores. I love how people on SDN assume to be the experts of specialties without going through the process (actually applying to OB/GYN) and rely solely on secondhand information (ex. I heard from so and so). At least I applied to OB/GYN this year, so I think I have some idea about what programs are looking for. OB/GYN is by no means ultra-competitive. It is at about the middle in terms of level of difficulty in getting into. Specialties such as Internal Medicine, Peds, Family, etc are generally easier to get into.

CANES2006 said:
BTW, I interviewed at 5 of the top ten OB/GYN programs in the country and NO ONE had 203 and below Step 1 scores. I love how people on SDN assume to be the experts of specialties without going through the process (actually applying to OB/GYN) and rely solely on secondhand information (ex. I heard from so and so). At least I applied to OB/GYN this year, so I think I have some idea about what programs are looking for. OB/GYN is by no means ultra-competitive. It is at about the middle in terms of level of difficulty in getting into. Specialties such as Internal Medicine, Peds, Family, etc are generally easier to get into.

Top programs in all fields are competitive and difficult to get into. The only real way to judge competitiveness is to compare the amount of applicants v. the available spots v. amount of spots left unmatched (although the last point can be misleading as certain fields may prefer to go unmatched if they did not receive quality applicants).

When did you quiz the other applicants on their scores? At lunch, when you're supposed to be finding out about the program? You did this at all of your interviews? I would think that an applicant who quizzes the other applicants about their scores at the interview would come across as a bit of a tool.

Doc Oc said:
When did you quiz the other applicants on their scores? At lunch, when you're supposed to be finding out about the program? You did this at all of your interviews? I would think that an applicant who quizzes the other applicants about their scores at the interview would come across as a bit of a tool.

Why did you assume that I quizzed the other applicants? Most of these applicants were volunteering this information freely. Big turn off, btw. Please don't try to make assumptions about the type of person that I am. I really hate how SDN has become fool of people that are super defensive about any advice that you have to offer. Many times I think it is better to not give any advice whatsoever because then at least you won't have people jumping at your every word. In fact, I'm going to follow my own advice and not give any more suggestions to this thread. :D

And what happened to being supportive?
With an average step 1 and a little research, you will likely get many interviews in any of the fields you listed as long as you apply to the right places. Yes, gen surg and ob/gyn are more competitive, but a few 'honors' in your sub-i's, good step 2, and good rec letters should get you some decent interviews. I recommend finding a good advisor to help figure out the best application strategy once you decide which specialty you really want.

Seriously. I have a friend who matched at his 2nd choice in Radiology, and his step I was only in the low 190's. Every year people with top 2% board scores go unmatched, and people with low scores get into super competative specialties. Just follow your heart and try for whatever you want cause you never know.

I agree with stephanieukmed -- I know for sure of a couple of people last year with <200 on Step 1 who matched into ophtho at good places -- of course it helped that they had ophtho faculty really going to bat for them, and that their grades were mostly good, however not stellar (very few H except in electives, mostly P/HP in clinical rotations). I know Canes was just offering her perspective, but some of us have differing conclusions based on our own anecdotal evidence. For fields like ob/gyn and surgery, it might be hard getting interviews at the "top" 5 or 10 programs in the country, but you also are not only looking at community programs either. Gen. surgery is more competitive than OB, but you could still probably get some interviews at some university-based programs.

What you need to do now is figure out what you want to do -- take electives or sub-i's in those fields and shine. Take Step 2 early if you think you can get a good score on it -- if you can, make studying for it a priority, then you can use that to help offset your Step 1. Get great letters and let your faculty know how serious/passionate you are about X field -- try to find faculty that will go to bat for you when the time comes -- I can't overstate how important that is. Finally, meet with your Dean soon -- he/she will know better how you might fare compared to other people in your school, and also based on how your school has done historically.

Stephanieukmed said:
Seriously. I have a friend who matched at his 2nd choice in Radiology, and his step I was only in the low 190's. Every year people with top 2% board scores go unmatched, and people with low scores get into super competative specialties. Just follow your heart and try for whatever you want cause you never know.

Amen!

Doc Oc said:

You don't ask it in during the interviews....but we do glance at your academics (honors, Step scores) during the ranking process. And it was used as a tie-breaker.

One of the above posters was right: Personality/level of eloquence and being able to express WHY you want to go into a certain field will get you far. Research (especially when applying to top-tier programs where ALL the faculty are interested in research) is a big bonus.

Being able to passionately describe your research and why it interests you is also good.

Otherwise, the research might even hurt you as you are merely doing it to "stuff the ole resume"