Got a 207 on Step 1. Am I still in the running for a competitive peds residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macky10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone--I realize that a lot of different things go into the peds residency application but I was just wondering if I would be automatically cut from the top peds residencies because of my step 1 score (207/85). If not, would a better showing on Step 2 help cancel this score out? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't focus too much on your step 1 score. No single item on your application will keep you out of any program. However, the rare exceptions such as the very elite programs (namely CHOP and Boston Children's, and that's about it) may have strict Step 1 cutoffs for offering interviews (more so for Boston), but I can probably name 20-30 outstanding residency programs off the top of my head that wouldn't be bothered at all by that step 1 score, especially if the rest of your application is solid. Still, study hard for Step 2, study hard in your clinical clerkships, and if you have other things on your application that may be a bit of a red flag, try and build up other areas; eg, do some volunteer work or leadership activities this year, maybe try and get involved in a research project, etc. And you can also do visiting electives at competitive programs that you are highly interested in to try and show your stuff.

Keep in mind, that although your score is a bit below average, pediatrics still is relatively less competitive than the surgical fields and the "lifestyle" specialties, so your competition isn't as stiff in pediatrics (although it has gotten more competitive in recent years, especially for the top programs). And the number of positions in the top pediatric programs are very high (20-40 spots), so your chances of getting into a top program are much higher than other fields.

So don't worry about it and enjoy your clinical years. It is much more fun than the first two years of medical school.

Aim high, but don't get your hopes up. It never hurts to apply to more programs early and then narrow things down once you start getting interviews.

Once you get an interview, it seems that you're on a more even playing field with everyone else. Your personality will probably count more than your step 1 score.

Members don't see this ad :)
There isn't a cutoff at Harvard in other things. I had a friend will low step1 (205) scores that they really liked match in derm at MGH. I know not common, but her audition was key and she got to audition in derm. I would bet there is not a cutoff at children's Boston either. I was a grad student there and would sit while the folks would take about accepting folks for residency--Harvard actually is NOT so numbers rigid. They want stellar folks, but leadership, service, and research is a big focus. The leadership and research is MUCH MORE VALUED. If you want Harvard or CHOP, take a few months and volunteer for a project. I have seen that work too.

No, you're NOT screwed. I got a 190 on step 1. I repeat, LESS THAN a 190 on step 1. I had pretty good grades and did 40 points better on step 2 (take it early so that it can be seen when you send in your applications). I was also a well rounded candidate. There were a few programs that didn't give me interviews...and I thought some of them were pretty random. I assume that anywhere that had a step 1 cutoff did not offer me one, so some of these might be among those. Those were Boston Children's, Cincinnati, Duke, UNC, Tufts, Children's National and MGH.

BUT, I did get interviews everywhere else I wanted, including CHOP, yes CHOP, Yale, Northwestern, Seattle, Denver, Stanford, Brown, San Fran, Pittsburgh, Johns Hopkins, and a bunch of other places. So trust me, if you're an otherwise good candidate, you'll get plenty of good interviews. Just make sure to apply to maybe a few more than you otherwise would, and you'll do fine.

By the way, I got my first choice at a top institution and am doing great so far. Don't sell yourself short, especially if you are the type of person who will interview well and have done well in your clerkships. Throw in a few safety schools to cover yourself, and you can't go wrong. Good luck!

No, you're NOT screwed. I got a 190 on step 1. I repeat, LESS THAN a 190 on step 1. I had pretty good grades and did 40 points better on step 2 (take it early so that it can be seen when you send in your applications). I was also a well rounded candidate. There were a few programs that didn't give me interviews...and I thought some of them were pretty random. I assume that anywhere that had a step 1 cutoff did not offer me one, so some of these might be among those. Those were Boston Children's, Cincinnati, Duke, UNC, Tufts, Children's National and MGH.

BUT, I did get interviews everywhere else I wanted, including CHOP, yes CHOP, Yale, Northwestern, Seattle, Denver, Stanford, Brown, San Fran, Pittsburgh, Johns Hopkins, and a bunch of other places. So trust me, if you're an otherwise good candidate, you'll get plenty of good interviews. Just make sure to apply to maybe a few more than you otherwise would, and you'll do fine.

By the way, I got my first choice at a top institution and am doing great so far. Don't sell yourself short, especially if you are the type of person who will interview well and have done well in your clerkships. Throw in a few safety schools to cover yourself, and you can't go wrong. Good luck!

It's always nice to hear from someone who proved that board scores aren't everything. Also, the AMA is pulling right now to make the boards pass fail because they were never meant to be used by residencies to categorize students they were originally developed just to prove that medical students were learning what they were supposed to. This is supposed to be happening in the next year or so. And, at a surgical interest group I attended where a bunch of M4's discussed how they got into their surgical residency 3/8 stated that they had scored below 200 on their boards and had received upwards of 15, with the highest 18, interview offers. The thing to remember is that personality counts, and interviewers like to pick people they wouldn't mind going to the bar after work and kickin back a few so relax and enjoy med school. I mean ultimately we're all gonna get to do what we want to eventually, so have fun.

If I have a stellar resume, PhD, and great clinical evaluations, what kind of USMLE scores do I need to get into Boston Childrens? (I haven't taken step 1 or 2 yet but want to gauge what I should be aiming for and how much I should study)

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

If I have a stellar resume, PhD, and great clinical evaluations, what kind of USMLE scores do I need to get into Boston Childrens? (I haven't taken step 1 or 2 yet but want to gauge what I should be aiming for and how much I should study)

Things have changed since 2008 (when this thread was first posted). You need at least a 260 with your resume.

To be honest, it actually makes what you have done. Just to have a PhD, MPH, MPP, MBA, MDIV, MDIC, it doesn't really matter. What the committees are looking for are people who have done things and can do things.

I have know people who were teachers, engineers, scientists, bouncers and have gotten into great residency programs, not because of their grades or fancy letters after their names, but because instead of just passing tests or mindless pipetting DNA, they pursued things that their were passionate about.

That is what programs want to see.

Just my 2c

Things have changed since 2008 (when this thread was first posted). You need at least a 260 with your resume.
I know the Boston programs well, especially the BCRP, and I can guarantee you there is no board score cutoff. One of the residents here a few years ago FAILED his boards 5 times (!!) and still was accepted because he was amazing in many other ways. And he proved to be amazing as a resident. Studies show that board scores don't correlate with anything but the ability to eventually pass the boards after residency. That said, helps to have board scores above average (about 220) and, of course, if you can post a 287 (highest I've seen) that will get everyone's attention.

I know the Boston programs well, especially the BCRP, and I can guarantee you there is no board score cutoff. One of the residents here a few years ago FAILED his boards 5 times (!!) and still was accepted because he was amazing in many other ways. And he proved to be amazing as a resident. Studies show that board scores don't correlate with anything but the ability to eventually pass the boards after residency. That said, helps to have board scores above average (about 220) and, of course, if you can post a 287 (highest I've seen) that will get everyone's attention.

What studies? Could you cite these studies because step 1 is the most important indicator because it predicts how you will do on the residency exams. That's the point of using step 1 as a objective measurement. To maintain ACGME accreditation they need residents to pass their exams.