Got a "B" in Organic Lab : (

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I never understood why people always made O chem to be the most important pre-med class. It is just one of many BCPM classes. I highly doubt Adcoms go down the list and scrutinize your individual classes unless they can't decide between two similarly qualified candidates. Part of going through the admissions process is owning up to past mistakes (which I don't think this is one) and being mature about it. You are always going to have different profs who teach differently, so learn what you can and move on. Oh and to restate what everyone else said, a B is not a big deal. It's your cumulative that matters. Hell, I got 3 F's, a few D's, many C's and I still got my one acceptance.:hardy:

Think the 38 you got on the MCAT's may have something to do with that. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are out of the running for medical school. Have you considered law?

I don't even think that'll work. Possibly a post-bacc or an MS might be beneficial.

Some EC's at a McDonald's or a Wendy's might help improve the op's app.

I wouldn't sweat it. I got a C in Gen Chem II because I tried a collegue's "tried and true" study techniques (and because I was a lazy bastard) last semester and I'm not that bummed. I plan on taking Analytical and Quant Chem (basically considered Chem III) in the fall. It sucks, but you just regroup and move on.

Worst case scenario is that you do an SMP like someone else in this thread mentioned, but unless you're in my boat with a cumulative GPA < 3.00, I wouldn't worry. I piddled around in undergrad for 4 years at my first college and left there with a 1.77. I transferred to another college and finished there with a 3.02, which brought my cumulative to a 2.72.

At the end of my post-bacc program, my cumulative won't even clear a 3.00, despite my projected post-bacc GPA of 3.65-3.75.

I seriously wouldn't sweat a B in Org Lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
The third highest grade was an 81?? The highest grade of my histology midterm practical was an 81.5 b/c it was so difficult...81 as the third highest is not so bad

I'll probably also get my first B form Orgo Lab II. I was averaging an A, but the Lab Final probably killed my grade. There goes my 4.0.....

I am not trying to be rude or anything....but I don't see why people answer with posts saying ITS OK because they did even worse. Just because you did bad or slacked off doesn't mean its ok if other people get marks that they feel are below them.

I just got one of my first B's, in organic chemistry lab. Im kind of pissed because the teacher was ridiculous for this course. Like she expected us to learn the entire textbook (without teaching a single thing), and none of it related to the stuff we were learning in organic lecture. This and also the final was ridiculously difficult (one of my friends said she got the third highest grade in her section with an 81), also I noticed some girls crying afterwards. Anyways I was just wondering how getting a B in this class would look in the eyes of the adcom? Is there any way to let them know about the professor without seeming like Im making excuses?

First, arn't the exams curved?

Second, 3rd highest score being 81 is not bad at all. I remember in my gen chem section, everyone got 21/30 on the exams or lower.

Its one B, it sholdn't be too bad at all if you got all A's. If you don't, then adding one isn't too bad either. Keep your head up, and you'll do fine :)

And to think that's exactly what I liked about O-Chem lab. I complained early on in the semester about how I was supposed to know these things that need to be in my lab report. TA gave us nothing in office hours, he'd tell us to think about it when we asked him a question. Worked my tail off and got one of the very few A's given. Following summer 1st session I screwed up a Neruoscience final and got a B. Hey it happens, get over it or figure out where your mistake was. Did you allot enough time to the course? Did you think about the material? Were you using old lab reports? I find this is a big no no, as TA's can tell when you're just rewriting someone else's word. Happens a lot at my school, and all the people doing it did poorly. NOT saying this is you, just saying it is common.

I just got one of my first B's... Is there any way to let them know about the professor without seeming like Im making excuses?

NO! Nobody wants a whiner at their school.