This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chidorichampion

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That one grade isn't going to determine your success. Definitely improve next semester and prepare to do as well as you can on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That one grade isn't going to determine your success. Definitely improve next semester and prepare to do as well as you can on the MCAT.

I’m just curious though, isn’t this a weird situation since they already have a postbacc? The C is in their SMP, which they’re taking after a postbacc. Assuming they have a low undergrad GPA, their 3.9 postbacc should have been enough to fix it. Is there any benefit to staying in the SMP for a “next semester”?

I’m just curious though, isn’t this a weird situation since they already have a postbacc? The C is in their SMP, which they’re taking after a postbacc. Assuming they have a low undergrad GPA, their 3.9 postbacc should have been enough to fix it. Is there any benefit to staying in the SMP for a “next semester”?

I was wondering why an SMP as well. Maybe the OP wanted to increase their chances for an MD school. I dunno. Maybe @Goro or the OP will comment on that. I would like to see an MCAT score though.

Hi everyone,

I'm getting my fall semester grades and I unfortunately ended up getting a C. I wanted to ask if my application was still salvageable for medical schools if I improve in the program next semester and hopefully finish with a ~3.5 overall. - I'm a nontrad with a low undergrad GPA, a high postbacc gpa, and no mcat score yet. Thank you and I hope you all are staying safe!

@LizzyM @Goro any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Ace this spring semester and you should have a fighting chance, especially with a good MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 users
Ace this spring semester and you should have a fighting chance, especially with a good MCAT score.

Thank you so much @Goro, I appreciate it! I'll try my best to improve these next few months!

Last edited:
I was wondering why an SMP as well. Maybe the OP wanted to increase their chances for an MD school. I dunno. Maybe @Goro or the OP will comment on that. I would like to see an MCAT score though.

yeah i actually wasn't planning on one after undergrad but this year I wanted to improve my application as much as i could before applying to medical schools!

Some applicants have to do a post bacc because their UGPAs are so low they don’t qualify for a SMP. I think(totally not sure) that to be considered for many SMPs you have to have a 3.0. So once they get to the acceptable range for admission to a SMP they apply and do one.

Reactions: 1 users
Some applicants have to do a post bacc because their UGPAs are so low they don’t qualify for a SMP. I think(totally not sure) that to be considered for many SMPs you have to have a 3.0. So once they get to the acceptable range for admission to a SMP they apply and do one.
that was definitely part of the reasoning - my sgpa was <3.0 i believe and my cgpa wasn't so great either!