Got a C. Should i retake the course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Verum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a C in English. The course was a 100 point course and i got a 0 on a 15 point essay. Should i retake it? Or should i take a higher level course to show that this course isn't representative of my abilities? Here are my grades for my first semester of college:

Calc I - A
Chem I - B
Psych I - B
English - C

Since i got that C, is it too late to turn around and make a comeback? Or can i salvage that mess of a GPA.

Thanks for all the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a C in English. The course was a 100 point course and i got a 0 on a 15 point essay. Should i retake it? Or should i take a higher level course to show that this course isn't representative of my abilities? Here are my grades for my first semester of college:

Calc I - A
Chem I - B
Psych I - B
English - C

Since i got that C, is it too late to turn around and make a comeback? Or can i salvage that mess of a GPA.

Thanks for all the help.

See my signature (prereq grades).

Unless you got a D or lower, never retake a class. The return just isn't there. If you get an A, it'll average out with your C to make a B. If you get a B then congrats, you've still got a C.

The best course of action is to prove the grade was a fluke by taking another related course (ideally one that's harder) and do well in it. So if you screwed up English I, get an A in English II. If you screwed up organic chemistry, do well in biochemistry. If you botched Calculus II, take MATH450 - Quantum Multi-Dimensional Matrix Analysis. You get the idea.