Got a nasty thing on upper lip: interview Thursday

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I know this is stupid, but…

I got a thing on my upper lip and have an interview this Thursday. I don’t know what to do. I went to drugstore and got a cream which is suppose to be the best one out there and have been putting on it every chance I get, but what if it doesn’t settle down. It looks gross and I think I caught it last week at another interview. It was cold as hell there and I think the big temperature change and the cold chapped my lips and that’s how I got it.

Any advice on how of get rid of it. Should I just pop it and go to interview like that.

Members don't see this ad.

Abreva!

It's anywhere between 10-15 pops OTC. Other than that get g-friend to lend you some make up and you should be good enough.

Just pretend that you don't know that everyone is staring at that nasty thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
"oxy-cute it"

Do they even have that on the market anymore?

Anyways, tell them that it is a wasting disease that can only be cured by an acceptance...lay on the guilt here and end with shouting "please, why won't you let me live?"

Or you can casually cover it with your finger to pretend that you are thinking.

Ah, Herpes Simplex Type 1. Yum. In my experience an outbreak usually lasts about two weeks. Abreva, for me, only shortens it by a couple of days.

Remember, it's an interview for medical school not Chippendales. Try not to worry about it. Good luck to you!

Do you have a stick-on handlebar moustache lying around?

i think a little herpes around the mouth just shows you're willing to do whatever it takes to get into med school...they'll just think it shows off your dedication ;)

jbrice1639 said:
i think a little herpes around the mouth just shows you're willing to do whatever it takes to get into med school...they'll just think it shows off your dedication ;)

Yes - just say it's something you picked up at your Harvard interview -- that way they'll think you're dedicated and in demand.

Eight posts and the OP has yet to receive an useful answer. :laugh:

jbrice1639 said:

Yes, lots of "dedication". In fact, type 2 herpes can cause cold sores if you've been putting your mouth somewhere where type 2 herpes virus is normally found.

I had really chapped lips at my interview. To the point that I had some small cuts. It was cold as hell that day and I had no chapstick. I got by.
At my interview, I saw a chick with really bad acne. I wouldn't worry about it, they're medical professionals so I'm sure they'll look past it.

In sum, just treat it and let it live. There is not enough time to fix it.

RayhanS1282 said:
Eight posts and the OP has yet to receive an useful answer. :laugh:

i think the abreva comment was useful. everything else after that was...well...not :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
newdude said:

I got a thing on my upper lip and have an interview this Thursday. I don’t know what to do. I went to drugstore and got a cream which is suppose to be the best one out there and have been putting on it every chance I get, but what if it doesn’t settle down. It looks gross and I think I caught it last week at another interview. It was cold as hell there and I think the big temperature change and the cold chapped my lips and that’s how I got it.

Any advice on how of get rid of it. Should I just pop it and go to interview like that.

if you've caught it early.. you can rush to the dermatologist and ask if he can give you a prescription for valtrex.. its on the market predominantly for herpes simplex type 2, but works wonders on cold sores.. even if it doesnt make it go away, itll definetely shrink it in a day or two...

good luck, and try not to think about it..you wont be the first to show up at an interview with a cold sore, and you certainly wont be the last...

try acyclovir.

tough luck for you...too bad it's illegal for med schools to accept people w/ herpes. j/k

newdude said:

"HERPECIN L", Seems like cold sores are going around, I recommended it to a few people (never used it myself) but they all saw really great results. So for the next two days, top it on that spot and keep it there. I don't know, but I never seem to notice things like this on people...I doubt it'll be a big deal at the interview.

RubberDuckie7 said:
"HERPECIN L", Seems like cold sores are going around, I recommended it to a few people (never used it myself) but they all saw really great results. So for the next two days, top it on that spot and keep it there. I don't know, but I never seem to notice things like this on people...I doubt it'll be a big deal at the interview.

I've been putting $14 abreva so far as many times as i can, but i guess i'll try herpecin L.
so no one thinks i should pop it and so it won't look like full of liquid.

and i know it's herpes 1 and not 2. I wouldn't put my mouth there but i have no problem someone putting there's in....

haha this is my favorite thread of the day!

newdude said:
I've been putting $14 abreva so far as many times as i can, but i guess i'll try herpecin L.
so no one thinks i should pop it and so it won't look like full of liquid.

and i know it's herpes 1 and not 2. I wouldn't put my mouth there but i have no problem someone putting there's in....

any of the hsv anti-virals will work a lot better than an otc cream. you will just have to get a quick prescription. or just buck up and dont worry about it, hsv1 is so common i doubt anyone would discriminate for it.

Law2Doc said:
Yes - just say it's something you picked up at your Harvard interview -- that way they'll think you're dedicated and in demand.

That's the funniest thing I've heard all week!

medhacker said:
Abreva!

Other than that get g-friend to lend you some make up and you should be good enough.

Abreva, yes.
Girlfriend's makeup, NO!!!
You do not want to chance passing this to her do you??
Get some coverup of your own, or have your girlfriend buy it for you if you are too embarrassed, but don't use hers (or kiss her while you have it, either)!

If it is really bad, just put a bandaid on it. At least you can replace damage to your dignity with mystery. Just say you cut yourself.

If you're a dude, just grow a dirty sanchez, a la Adam Morrison from Gonzaga.

French plastic surgeons completed the first partial face transplant.

you can try one of those! j/k.

if you have prescription access, get Acyclovir. the over the counter stuff, including abreva is not very helpful.. unfortunately, acyclovir should be used as early as you can in the breakout. if you get breakouts more often than 5x a year, you should consider daily acyclovir prophylaxis.

i tried all the otc stuff one time when i had a cold sore, nothing happened. i put a little carmex and walaaa...gone or at least diminished. try carmex, its a little yellow tube thingy. it works pretty well, at least when i get a cold sore. but under nooo circumstances pop it, b/c then it will spread. good luck with that though, i'm sure no one will really notice. :)

TheMightyAngus said:

that dude is funky!

So, I'm going to share this with you SDNer's although I've never told this to anyone.

I'm really scared of getting herpes!! Have you ever been to a bar, and you totally want to make out with a guy...I just can't do it because I am so scared of catching herpes.

I'm not weirded out by diseases (I've had contact with HIV patients, herpes, conjunctivitis, etc.).

Perhaps I'm a little misinformed. Can you only contract herpes if someone has an open sore?

Thanx!

Angel :D

TheMightyAngus said:
dude, you don't just "grow" a sanchez. :rolleyes:

angel5 said:
So, I'm going to share this with you SDNer's although I've never told this to anyone.

I'm really scared of getting herpes!! Have you ever been to a bar, and you totally want to make out with a guy...I just can't do it because I am so scared of catching herpes.

I'm not weirded out by diseases (I've had contact with HIV patients, herpes, conjunctivitis, etc.).

Perhaps I'm a little misinformed. Can you only contract herpes if someone has an open sore?

Thanx!

you are most likely to catch herpes from an open sore, since that is when the virus is replicating and spreading. most often, the virus is dormant in neurons located much deeper in the head and neck (trigeminal ganglion) and is not active or being shed.

again, all of that over the counter stuff, is ineffective. you are best off using acyclovir, which directly inhibits DNA synthesis of herpes simplex. oral is more effective than topical acyclovir as well.

Last edited:
nuclearrabbit77 said:
you are most likely to catch herpes from an open sore, since that is when the virus is replicating and spreading. most often, the virus is dormant in neurons located much deeper in the head and neck (trigeminal ganglion) and is not active or being shed.

again, all of that over the counter stuff, is ineffective. you are best off using acyclovir, which directly inhibits DNA synthesis of herpes simplex. oral is more effective than topical acyclovir as well.

while prescription ayclovir works best, if you don't have time to go to the doctor and get a prescription, get abreva over the counter. It does work like a miracle. I had a cold sore on my lip a week before the interview, and abreva cleared that up in a couple of days, just apply it like 5 times a day. :)

Law2Doc said:
Well, if laughter is the best medicine, most of the posts were useful.

hahahaha..............So true!!!!!!!!! I like Unfrozen's comment the best. She is just too much sometimes. :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

angel5 said:

Thanx!

Yea, I know what you mean. I'm a little more paranoid though. For example, as a kid, I couldn't stand when people asked me for a sip of my drink (soda, beer, or whatever). I didn't want to be a prick and refuse. So I just always ended up letting them keep it. Also, I think i'm the only person who refuses to play beer pong because of all the sharing going on.

Can you catch herpes from sharing a cup with someone?

Will Ferrell said:
Yea, I know what you mean. I'm a little more paranoid though. For example, as a kid, I couldn't stand when people asked me for a sip of my drink (soda, beer, or whatever). I didn't want to be a prick and refuse. So I just always ended up letting them keep it. Also, I think i'm the only person who refuses to play beer pong because of all the sharing going on.

Can you catch herpes from sharing a cup with someone?

oh my! I do the same thing!

Whenever someone asks "Ooo can I taste that," I take one last sip and then let them have it!!

Draw a big circle around your huge pimple thing to make it really obvious. That way the ice is broken at the interview and people can look at your pimple and you won't feel ashamed because you think it's awesome. In fact, be proud of it and match your wardrobe accordingly.

Or have your dog lick it and it will reduce in a day.

Great thread. :thumbup:

Just as a quick aside, I'm a girl with PCOS, and because of my hormones being all over the place I sometimes get huge acne breakouts. So try not to think any less of that "girl with bad acne" that you might see at your interview. Sometimes it's more than just lack of facewashing. :oops:

Shave it off.

Then put a band-aid over the exposed tissue.

MB in SD said:
Shave it off.

Then put a band-aid over the exposed tissue.

Wouldn't that be awkward?

well, best bet is the guy that is interviewing you will know what it is by looking, so if thats what you got it from, he may understand. But your best bet to cover it up is go to Wal*mart and get some concealer... itll cover it right up... will be like you never even had it.

RunnerMD said:
Two days before I had back to back interviews, I tripped and fell and busted my lip, had a bloody nose, and scrapes all across my face. I managed to disguise it pretty well (except for the swollen lip) with make-up, but it was still noticeable. Anyway, the point of the story is, I was accepted to both schools, so I wouldn't worry too much about stuff like this. At the same time, if you feel really self conscious about it, I say put a bandaid on it (if you're a guy) and bust out the heavy duty make-up (if you're a girl).

By the way, this IS the funniest thread I've read in a while--trust me, you will laugh about this in a few months after you've been accepted :laugh:

like i said i knew this would be stupid.

that said, i like that everyone is saying this is the funniest thread, it makes me feel good that i came up with the most stupidest thing. it's good to be number 1. :laugh:

I'M A DUDE, so i'm not sure if i should try the make up thing, and what if i sweat, i can't just go to a bathroom and put it back on something. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

okay that was stupid comment.

that said i think abreva is working, some of it has dried up and hopefully will flake of by thursday morning.

wish me luck.

Best of Luck newdude. Don't worry about it, and rock that interview!

Just wait until it gets so big that your mouth doesn't close all the way and you can't stop drooling. Then you just add sobbing and rocking back and forth and you'll look like how the rest of feel during an interview. :scared:

Don't obsess about it or it'll be all that you think about during the interview. Then you'll start mentioning it subconsiously:

"I get really high sores ... I mean scores in my lips... I mean labs.....what were we talking about?"

Check to make sure you're not allergic to any of the active ingredients...I knew a guy who made his lip problems worse by using something he reacted to :scared: